Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was your degree in social work worth it? Why? Why not?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:46 am
In retrospect, would you choose to take a degree in a different field?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:12 am
YES.

Totally worthless as I had wanted to be a therapist, then I did the internship and hated it, realizing I'd never make as much money as I had hoped.

Note that not everyone gets to be one of those therapists that charge $200/hr. That was my goal, but when I saw how unrealistic it was (for me), I regretted my choices greatly.

Not everyone is such a "giver upper" like me. But since you asked, yes, I do regret it...

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:26 am
No. It's pays bubkes.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 6:30 am
WHAts the pay range?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 8:41 am
Yes because I love what I do. And I actually get paid decently.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 9:08 am
I gave up too. For me it was the hours. Without working in a school or nursing home, all the jobs were afternoons/evenings/
weekends, and I had kids already. And I needed to do a lot of hours to be eligible to get the certification I needed to get the better jobs, which would have taken forever part time. Especially since the initial salery was so low that, combined with dh's, it bumped us up just enough to completely disappear to taxes.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
Yes because I love what I do. And I actually get paid decently.

Do you mind sharing what you do?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I gave up too. For me it was the hours. Without working in a school or nursing home, all the jobs were afternoons/evenings/
weekends, and I had kids already. And I needed to do a lot of hours to be eligible to get the certification I needed to get the better jobs, which would have taken forever part time. Especially since the initial salery was so low that, combined with dh's, it bumped us up just enough to completely disappear to taxes.

Wow.
If so, why do parents encourage children to get a degree? I see people here don't make ends meet. What's the calculation?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
YES.

Totally worthless as I had wanted to be a therapist, then I did the internship and hated it, realizing I'd never make as much money as I had hoped.

Note that not everyone gets to be one of those therapists that charge $200/hr. That was my goal, but when I saw how unrealistic it was (for me), I regretted my choices greatly.

Not everyone is such a "giver upper" like me. But since you asked, yes, I do regret it...

And what would you be doing instead?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
No. It's pays bubkes.

Like?
And, didn't you know this in advance? I'm curious.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:24 pm
I work as a clinician in an agency mostly with children.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
I work as a clinician in an agency mostly with children.

Can you cover? or are you in debt? I want ro start out and I have a family already.

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:35 pm
It was worth it bcz. I'll always be able to get a job. But that job will be so low paying that if I ever needed to be the sole supporter of my family I'd really be in trouble.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:41 pm
heidi wrote:
It was worth it bcz. I'll always be able to get a job. But that job will be so low paying that if I ever needed to be the sole supporter of my family I'd really be in trouble.

So if I AM the sole supporter, should I rather not start?
I wanted something stable.
What else can I do?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:52 pm
I suggest you do a through career test and meet with a career counselor. My husband just took the WOWI test at a Jewish Federation and met with a career counselor there. There are tons of jobs in the world, not just OT, PT, LMSW. Sometimes you think your skills only point to one career but there are really higher paying jobs with similar background. Also, even if your strongest trait is intuition, if you have secondary skills and can tolerate doing something more sciencey, you will find higher paying jobs. If you want to be able to support a family on your own, I wouldn't consider any career that isn't making 130+ a year, with room to grow.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:57 pm
Love it. Would do it again.
But I am not the sole support for my family.
When I started out it was long hours. Now I practice privately while the kids are in school.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:22 pm
what is the salary for a social worker? approximate.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
I suggest you do a through career test and meet with a career counselor. My husband just took the WOWI test at a Jewish Federation and met with a career counselor there. There are tons of jobs in the world, not just OT, PT, LMSW. Sometimes you think your skills only point to one career but there are really higher paying jobs with similar background. Also, even if your strongest trait is intuition, if you have secondary skills and can tolerate doing something more sciencey, you will find higher paying jobs. If you want to be able to support a family on your own, I wouldn't consider any career that isn't making 130+ a year, with room to grow.

Thanks!! I really appreciate this information.
I'm struggling like this for a long time.
I saw their site but dont know how to take the test.

octopus

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Wow.
If so, why do parents encourage children to get a degree? I see people here don't make ends meet. What's the calculation?

My parents discouraged me from going into social work. So I didn't.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 3:55 pm
I was originally going for clinical psych, which is a five year degree full time, but got nervous and instead did an MSW, which took me four years part time. (MSW programs are also easier to get into and cheaper.) It was a compromise that I wouldn't make in retrospect, though it felt necessary at the time. Nobody in my family encouraged one or the other; I chose on my own.

We also didn't realize at the time that dh's work schedule would not allow for him to be home/available for most of those nights and weekends. We had thought we could just push through those first couple years.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics