Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was your degree in social work worth it? Why? Why not?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:34 pm
debsey wrote:
What exactly is it you are doing without a degree? When you say "I have a dream of being licensed" - you realize that providing therapy without a degree is illegal. If you mean, you're a HS mechaneches and all the girls like to talk to you, that's not the same as doing therapy.

I strongly suggest you do more research so you know what you are getting yourself into, before you commit to an expensive training program with no guaranteed ROI, especially if the ol of parnassah is on you.

We make really bad decisions when under stress.......

Easy easy. I don't do anything illegal. I have a lawyer and an accountant.
You feel this is a bad decision. Can you explain why?

Are you a career coach? Can you guide me what I should do right now? I will appreciate it.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:

Are you a career coach? Can you guide me what I should do right now? I will appreciate it.

Heck so did Meyer Lansky and Charles Kushner.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:43 pm
I have no idea what you're actually doing right now, but I think a lot of people go into the field without really knowing what it entails.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Heck so did Meyer Lansky and Charles Kushner.

I didn't know they were kallah teachers.

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:

So you're a kallah teacher? That's not exactly the same as providing therapy. (and if it is the same, then you've got a whole 'nother set of problems, not addressing those here.)

I'm not a career coach, I'm a compliance professional. Which means I do a lot of work with people who don't follow professional guidelines and then get in trouble. That's why I get very nervous when I hear people say things like "I'm basically a social worker without the license." I've personally seen a lot of the damage from things like that.

When I say do more research, I mean just that. Not that it's a bad idea automatically. But if you're the sole breadwinner, you need to know that based on looking at the books of a lot of agencies that provide social workers, I've seen salaries as low as 12.00 an hour for LMSW's making house calls, and not very much higher than 40.00 an hour fee for service (meaning, if your client doesn't show, you don't get paid, even if you were there).

When you look at graduate training, you have to think of ROI (return on investment) How much will you spend? How much will you lose while training (work you could have taken on that you didn't have time for due to classes) How much will you realistically make? If you plan on doing agency work, you may not make enough to justify that expensive training.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:25 pm
Look up trade schools. There are surprisingly interesting job options. I'd try for one with a possibility of growth.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:03 am
debsey wrote:
So you're a kallah teacher? That's not exactly the same as providing therapy. (and if it is the same, then you've got a whole 'nother set of problems, not addressing those here.)

I'm not a career coach, I'm a compliance professional. Which means I do a lot of work with people who don't follow professional guidelines and then get in trouble. That's why I get very nervous when I hear people say things like "I'm basically a social worker without the license." I've personally seen a lot of the damage from things like that.

When I say do more research, I mean just that. Not that it's a bad idea automatically. But if you're the sole breadwinner, you need to know that based on looking at the books of a lot of agencies that provide social workers, I've seen salaries as low as 12.00 an hour for LMSW's making house calls, and not very much higher than 40.00 an hour fee for service (meaning, if your client doesn't show, you don't get paid, even if you were there).

When you look at graduate training, you have to think of ROI (return on investment) How much will you spend? How much will you lose while training (work you could have taken on that you didn't have time for due to classes) How much will you realistically make? If you plan on doing agency work, you may not make enough to justify that expensive training.

Thanks for your explanation.
I am a kallah teacher. Women also started coming to me with thier issues. I can only educate them and direct or referr them further.
I make it very clear to them in the beginning that I cannot give them therapy. This is however the exact reason that prompted me to think about getting a degree; I see the need in my community and, the only way I'll feel comfortable continuing is by being lisenced. I might be a perfectionist (I don't know any other kallah teachers who are concerned with this) but this is what I prefer.
In order to do this it seemed to me that the only choice I have is, to go through the schooling.
I started this thread because I wanted to hear what other people's experiences were. I wanted to know if after going through school I will have to remain a kallah teacher women educator or, there is something less pressuring out there.
(I can explain what the pressure is, but I have to think of how to not out myself.)

I will appreciate your input. Thanks.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:16 am
Iymnok wrote:
Look up trade schools. There are surprisingly interesting job options. I'd try for one with a possibility of growth.

There are interesting options there indeed.
About 90%of the jobs are mechanics, plumbers, electricians, hvac, tailor drivers etc. More men's jobs.

The rest of them have the same issue with promoting yourself. Mortgage broker, interior design etc. All these are to me, like starting my own business which I said, I'm not interested in.
Again, maybe a career coach can help me. I'll think about it.
Thanks.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:24 am
I am both a licensed social worker and a kallah teacher so I do combine both fields and I love it.
I make a decent salary with good benefits however I have been a social worker for any years and have worked my way up in the field. Social workers do not start out making a lot of money.
I would suggest going for the degree if you are passionate about what you are doing and want to take it a step further. However if you really need the money it is probably not the profession to invest time and money into.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:29 am
amother wrote:
I am both a licensed social worker and a kallah teacher so I do combine both fields and I love it.
I make a decent salary with good benefits however I have been a social worker for any years and have worked my way up in the field. Social workers do not start out making a lot of money.
I would suggest going for the degree if you are passionate about what you are doing and want to take it a step further. However if you really need the money it is probably not the profession to invest time and money into.

Thanks that was so refreshing to hear!
I assume you were a social worker and then became a kallah teacher, correct?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:56 am
Yes I was a social worker first and then trained to be a kallah teacher.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 7:26 am
Debsey if possible please explain to me;
1. What is the actual law? May a person educate and advise people regarding religious matters? If not, why? If yes, how?

2. Where can I find a career coach? I need someone in real life and someone who can understand my life a little bit.
Someone mentioned Jewish Federation but I don't find a link to career coaching on what they have online.

3. How can I know the profit of something I take training in? It varies from person to person, doesn't it? Even the statistics online about SW salary is not applicable according to some posters here. Si how cam I fugure that out?

Thanks so much!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics