Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
PSA to those who don't have a landline
1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:05 pm
Please make sure you regularly delete stuff on your phone. You don't want any of the following to get a "mailbox is full" message:

- Your teenage babysitter who has a good reason to call you
- Your kids' schools
- Clients to your business.

Thanks!

crust

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:28 pm
Are you trying to reach someone, Pinkfridge? Smile

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:48 pm
Guilty embarrassed

ETA: Just cleared some messages. Thanks for the reminder!!!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:51 pm
I like when my machine is full because then I don't have to listen to messages and return calls. Bad idea when looking for a job. Most important contacts text.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:06 pm
crust wrote:
Are you trying to reach someone, Pinkfridge? Smile

I was, not recently, it was just one of those things on my mind though, then I tried to come up with all sorts of scenarios. We could even make a game of it!

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:30 pm
Good reminder Thumbs Up

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:48 am
My husband's vm is always full! I hate it!

Sadie

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 6:01 am
I despise voicemail and the outgoing message on my cell phone voicemail instructs callers to text or send an email. I haven't gotten a voicemail in ages.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:08 am
I won't send my teens to babysit anymore if there is no phone in the house. Either a landline, or leave your phone behind.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:18 am
Chayalle wrote:
I won't send my teens to babysit anymore if there is no phone in the house. Either a landline, or leave your phone behind.

I'm going to go anon for this one.

Lots of people couldn't understand why Leiby Kletzky didn't just call his family to come pick him up after his captor left him alone to go to work. Answer: his captor probably didn't have a landline and just had a cellphone.

I AM NOT SAYING you are guilty of murdering a child if you don't have a landline. I am saying it is a basic safety issue in a house to have a landline. My children are too young to babysit, but like Chayalle, I would not let them sit in a house with no phone and no means to contact someone in an emergency.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:49 am
Wow. I wasn't even thinking of not being able to dial out, I was thinking of not being able to get through to parents because when you call them, their mailboxes are full.
Back in the day, before we had phones, we told our sitters where we were going.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:20 pm
In this day and age it's basic safety for anyone over ten to have their own cellphone. I have not come across a teen without a cellphone and would expect a babysitter to have her own.
As for voicemail, I despise it. No one uses it anymore in my parts, texting or whatsapp is so much more user friendly. Voicemail wastes so much time, till you get to the message, and then listen.
I dont even like voice messages on whatsapp but at least they are easier to access.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 1:14 pm
I don't think this is rocket science. After I listen to a voice mail I have the choice of saving or deleting it. I may save it until the call is returned. I erase all my dialed, received etc calls every time I plug it in for a charge. It's just a habit after being land line free for almost 10 years.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 3:00 pm
For all you people who despise voicemail, we're not all on whatsapp. And sometimes you have to be handsfree.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 3:41 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
For all you people who despise voicemail, we're not all on whatsapp. And sometimes you have to be handsfree.

Actually 99% of the people I know are on whatsapp (I'm in Israel).
But in any case I think most messages can be condensed to a short text, and it's more considerate than making someone wade through voicemail. Most times you can find one minute to text with your hand.
Luckily most people here think like me and no one leaves voicemail anymore in my parts.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
In this day and age it's basic safety for anyone over ten to have their own cellphone. I have not come across a teen without a cellphone and would expect a babysitter to have her own.
As for voicemail, I despise it. No one uses it anymore in my parts, texting or whatsapp is so much more user friendly. Voicemail wastes so much time, till you get to the message, and then listen.
I dont even like voice messages on whatsapp but at least they are easier to access.

Not sure where you are located, but most people I know dont give their children their own cellphone untill theyve graduated at 18.

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:44 pm
No one I know leaves voice mail messages, ever. I can't remember the last time someone left me a vm.

But I'm also not sure what this has to do with cell phones. Don't you have voice mail (or an answering machine) on your land lines? Wouldn't that cause the same problem? I don't get it.

Also, in my circles pretty much anyone old enough to babysit has their own cell phone. Of course it isn't safe to be in a house with no way to call out! If you don't want your kids to have their own, couldn't you have a spare cell phone the kids take when they babysit?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 7:36 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Maybe this is a regional issue? Out here beyond the pale folks use voicemail,not just friends and family but my Dr., the pharmacy, the auto mechanic etc, even the kosher butcher.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 7:44 pm
Interesting. I don't have a landline and I take it for granted that my babysitters have their own cellphone.

I usually delete my VMs right away because they take up much desired space on my cell phone. I don't mind it at all, it's quite helpful as I can't pick up every call that comes through.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:22 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Maybe this is a regional issue? Out here beyond the pale folks use voicemail,not just friends and family but my Dr., the pharmacy, the auto mechanic etc, even the kosher butcher.

Maybe it's generational. How interesting that leaving voicemail is considered rude and annoying. Yes, even I find texts are more convenient but I don't think twice about voicemail. I guess because a lot of people use my home number to contact me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics