Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
PSA to those who don't have a landline
Previous  1  2  3

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If they are being picked up and dropped off for a babysitting job, it would never occur to me to give my child that phone.

I think it's incumbent on responsible parents to make sure there is a phone in the house. Let it be THEIR spare phone.

Exactly.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:40 am
Orchid wrote:
Not necessarily. He wasn't a rational person. Leiby wasn't tied up - he was in an empty apartment and theoretically free to leave. If kidnapper didn't tie him up, there's no basis to suggest he definitely would have unplugged the phone.

Anyway, I disagree with PP that "all" kids over 10 have cell phones in this day and age. This is clearly a community based response, because I can tell you with 100% certainty that that is simply not true. Where I live, NO 10 year olds have cell phones.

And to say that everyone uses chat or Whatsapp, that's interesting to me. Your doctor chats or whatsapp your lab results? Kid calls from school because he got injured - the school chats and whatsapps you if your VM is full and you don't pick up? Same with plumber saying he's on his way and will be there within 30 minutes. Millions of cases where chat and whatsapp are not (yet) appropriate.

Agreed. Professional and business interactions are not appropriate for Watsapp (a what's up application Smile ).

P.S. I'm not talking about Asian factories who are dealing with a full half day time zone difference.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
Agreed. Professional and business interactions are not appropriate for Watsapp (a what's up application Smile ).

You mean, not appropriate in your community.
Here not only is it appropriate, it's a must for many professions and businesses.
Especially the moment you are working with a team.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:20 am
Raisin wrote:
Umm, even if the kidnapper did have a landline he would likely have unplugged it and removed it so the kid couldn't call the police.

The child was drugged up, as well. Heavily. I doubt he was in a state to call or leave.

Either way, I don't think anyone should be talking about this story in this context. This is where the blame game begins, and no one should ever, ever blame anyone in such a tragic story except the demented individual that murdered him.

debsey

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 12:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Exactly.

Me too. We have a family cell phone, but it did not occur to me to send it along with my daughter.

I think that's the responsibility of the parents of the baby she was babysitting.

juggling

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
Based on community.
Here in Israel I havent heard of pharmacies or doctors contacting people, except in very dire cases. You need to contact them if you want to know something. Lab results you see online, and if you want an explanation you see the doctor. If the results need immediate attention, they will call you a few times till you pick up.
Kid is injured at school - most people I know would pick up the phone right away if they see the school called!
But yes, the plumber, the kids' teachers, the manicurist, the hairdresser, the school bus driver, etc etc all text, mainly whatsapp with some smsing still done.

This. With the addition that my (israeli) doctor's office does sometimes call, but if I don't answer they just hang up and try again later. My kids calling from school would probably also hang up. And maybe try my other emergency numbers. Or try me again. And, yes, all the others use text.
Nobody in my world leaves voice mail.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We have a landline. And listen to our voice messages. And return calls. Wink
But I hated voice messages on my cell phone until I got Visual Voicemail. Awesome feature.

ETA:
Don't most families that don't "give" kids under a certain age their own cell phones have an extra cell phone line or 2 that they send along with their kids when they're out for safety?

This! I think most smartphones have voicemail transcription these days which is useful.

In my word teens have phones and we have a landline as a back up. But if I lived in a community where they didn't a landline would be even more important.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:37 pm
Just out of curiosity, in a world where payphones have all but disappeared, how do teens deal with not having cellphones? Rabbi Schwartz arranged a study session after school, so I'll be late. Do you mind if I hang out with Ruti after school; I don't have homework. My activity ended early, can you pick me up? I'm at Shloimy's house, but there are things going on that I don't feel comfortable with, can you pick me up.

We got the kids cellphones when they reached an age where they went places without us. It wasn't so they could contact friends; it was so they could contact us (and vice versa).

juggling

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:40 pm
In my experience kids who don't have cellphones ask someone if they can use their phone. In school they can go to the office, and in a shopping center they can go into a store, etc. Here in Israel (I realize America is not like this) random kids stop me on the street and ask if they could use my phone. This happens often.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:47 pm
juggling wrote:
In my experience kids who don't have cellphones ask someone if they can use their phone. In school they can go to the office, and in a shopping center they can go into a store, etc. Here in Israel (I realize America is not like this) random kids stop me on the street and ask if they could use my phone. This happens often.

Where I live all the kids that go out on their own have a cellphone, so I am very rarely asked if someone can borrow mine.
But there arent many charedim in this area. I guess in more charedi neighborhoods more kids would ask to borrow.
Not that I see how it's so ideal to have your kid dependant on strangers' goodwill.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics