Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Notice
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:29 pm
How much notice must a landlord give you when he wants the apartment?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:38 pm
In my state it is 30 days, it doesn't matter if you have a lease or a month to month rental. I give a renter 60 days if their lease is not going to be renewed as a matter of courtesy.

chatz

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:40 pm
Depends where you live. And on your lease.

If I'm not mistaken, in NYC, no lease, landlord must give 30 days notice.

Whichever situation you're in, it should work out smoothly and clearly.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:53 pm
chatz wrote:
Depends where you live. And on your lease.

If I'm not mistaken, in NYC, no lease, landlord must give 30 days notice.

Whichever situation you're in, it should work out smoothly and clearly.

Amen! Was just told by landlord I need to be out in 60 days! I have a large family Kah! How am I supposed to find an apartment so fast?!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:56 am
Jewish Press, luach.com, hang up a sign in local shuls and yeshivos. Check your lease, but if it doesn't say anything to the contrary, there's not much you can do; just be grateful they gave you 60 days instead of 30. You could ask nicely for an extension, and offer to pay higher rent to get an extra 2-3 months, but your landlord is under no legal obligation to grant it.

crust

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
Amen! Was just told by landlord I need to be out in 60 days! I have a large family Kah! How am I supposed to find an apartment so fast?!

What is he planning to do after the 60 days are over? Apartments for big families are hard to find even in areas where housing is not so tight.
I bless you that you find an apartment better than you had till now, good neighbors and all!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:33 pm
crust wrote:
What is he planning to do after the 60 days are over?

Where I live you can only kick-out 'good' tenants if you need the unit for personal use. I assume that's whats going on here.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:43 pm
crust wrote:
What is he planning to do after the 60 days are over? Apartments for big families are hard to find even in areas where housing is not so tight.
I bless you that you find an apartment better than you had till now, good neighbors and all!

Amen!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
Where I live you can only kick-out 'good' tenants if you need the unit for personal use. I assume that's whats going on here.

I've never heard of that. Generally, property owners have the right to do whatever they want with their property, unless its discriminatory. Its certainly not true in NYC, which is the locale I'm most familiar with:

Quote:
Am I guaranteed a renewal lease in my unregulated apartment?

No. Except for rent regulated apartments, a tenant may only renew the lease with the consent of the landlord. See the section on Renewal Leases in the NYS Attorney General's Tenants' Rights Guide, linked to from our website.

http://www.nycrgb.org/html/res.....nteed

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 1:11 pm
Quote:
I've never heard of that. Generally, property owners have the right to do whatever they want with their property, unless its discriminatory. Its certainly not true in NYC, which is the locale I'm most familiar with:

Not a link back to my local bylaw... but this basically covers it.

http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publi.....ction

Obviously I'm not in NYC.

I guess I live in a more tenant friendly place than most.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Not a link back to my local bylaw... but this basically covers it.

http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publi.....ction

Obviously I'm not in NYC.

I guess I live in a more tenant friendly place than most.

That's eviction. OP isn't being evicted. Her lease isn't being renewed. Those are entirely different things.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:

I was in a similar situation recently:

My landlord said I need to move (house was on the market and new owners wanted it vacant).

I began to look for an apartment. Couldn't find.

She reminded me that the house is selling and I must move.

I continued my search.

Eventually, she sent me a legal notice to vacate by the end of 30 days.

I called legal services and was told not to worry.

At the end of 30 days nothing happened.

It took the landlord a while to figure out how to proceed legally.

So he finally sent me an Order to Show Cause.

I called legal services and an attorney reviewed the landlord's paperwork.

Turns out, there was a technical issue in the way the landlord gave me notice. So that gave me move time.

Finally, the landlord and my lawyer went to court.

My lawyer told the judge about the technical issue with the way the notice was served.

The landlord had the option of starting over the eviction process, or make a settlement.

So he chose to make a settlement. We settled on six months (I don't know how common six months is)

All in all, from start to finish, from the day I received the legal Notice til the day I moved was 12 months.

Wishing you an easy process!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:

My landlord said I need to move (house was on the market and new owners wanted it vacant).

I continued my search.

Turns out, there was a technical issue in the way the landlord gave me notice. So that gave me move time.

My lawyer told the judge about the technical issue with the way the notice was served.

The landlord had the option of starting over the eviction process, or make a settlement.

So he chose to make a settlement. We settled on six months (I don't know how common six months is)

All in all, from start to finish, from the day I received the legal Notice til the day I moved was 12 months.

Thank you! Really hope not to have to go the legal route!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:

I continued my search.

In the meantime, the family that was buying the home that you held over in had to scramble to find a new place at the last minute. They also probably lost money that they already spent on counsel fees, home inspection, and title search. But I'm sure that they must have had an easy time.

And your landlord. They lost the sale. Maybe they really needed the money for something important.

But glad it worked out for you.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
In the meantime, the family that was buying the home that you held over in had to scramble to find a new place at the last minute. They also probably lost money that they already spent on counsel fees, home inspection, and title search. But I'm sure that they must have had an easy time.

And your landlord. They lost the sale. Maybe they really needed the money for something important.

I understand both sides but it's easier said than done to find apartment for a large family!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:10 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
That's eviction. OP isn't being evicted. Her lease isn't being renewed. Those are entirely different things.

its not relevant to OP.. but in Ontario they aren't different things.

In Ontario a residential landlord can't kick out a tenant out at the end of a lease, unless he needs the place for personal use, buyer needs place for personal use.. place needs major repairs... https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06r17 see 48(1) and onward.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
its not relevant to OP.. but in Ontario they aren't different things.

In Ontario a residential landlord can't kick out a tenant out at the end of a lease, unless he needs the place for personal use. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06r17 see 48(1).

I live in Quebec and the law is the same. And you can only raise the rent by about 15$/year.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:22 pm
Op here. I'm not really asking about the legal part. My question is more about landlord being mentchlich and realistic that a large family can't be out in 60 days. A large apartment doesn't just find itself so easily in Brooklyn!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:

Not quite. My landlord was dead and her only child wanted to sell her house as he has no use for it.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Quebec and the law is the same. And you can only raise the rent by about 15$/year.

Smile This is one of many reasons why Canada so great... eh Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating