Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The Cleaners Burnt Down With My DH Clothes Inside!

pippy93

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:24 am
My husband gave his clothes into the cleaners on 13 Ave and 53 Street -- next to Shomer Shabbos shul in Borough Park. The day I was to pick up the clothes (2 pairs of pants and 8 shirts) there was a fire! Thankfully no one was hurt. I have gone to look at the store several times to see if a sign has been posted for those that had their clothes inside during the fire. I was looking for a number to call, someone to speak with.... there is nothing. I keep calling the number on the receipts, but it's just a recording and I can't leave a message.

Does anyone know what is going on with that cleaners or what people are doing that had lost clothes??

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:39 am
Take the address to your county tax office. They'll have the building owner's contact info. Find out if they carry insurance, and where to file for compensation.

If you end up needing to buy new clothes, KEEP THE RECIEPTS! You'll need them when you file your claim.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:54 am
Its likely to take some time before the fire investigation is complete, and insurance issues are resolved. Until that time, you're talking about small business owners who probably lost everything. They're not likely to be able to reach into their pockets to reimburse everyone for damaged or lost clothing.

Buy him some new clothes. Save your receipts for the clothing that were there (and try to find the original receipts if you can), and sit tight.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:56 am
They're probably a little preoccupied with the fact that their livelihood just burnt to the ground? Maybe give them a little time to get their bearings before expecting them to reach out to customers.

In the meantime, buy the replacements you need, but keep the receipts, so that if their insurance does reimburse customers, you will be able to file a claim.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:13 am
groovy1224 wrote:
They're probably a little preoccupied with the fact that their livelihood just burnt to the ground? Maybe give them a little time to get their bearings before expecting them to reach out to customers.

In the meantime, buy the replacements you need, but keep the receipts, so that if their insurance does reimburse customers, you will be able to file a claim.

Insurance isn't likely to care how much you spent to replace the items. If you sent a 5 year old pair of Old Navy pants to the cleaners, they're not likely to be impressed with the fact that you bought a new pair of Ermemegildo Zegna pants to replace them. You'd be better off finding your original receipts, or at least trying to track down identical items.

The back of your ticket probably explains their liability.

Not legal advice.

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:45 am
I would take it as Kapara
Thank H-Shem for your lost items and move on.
I know it's hard, but something worse would have been harder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics