Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
NJ Car seat rules?

momof2+?

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 1:41 pm
I have a 4 year old and 3 year old in forward facing 5 point harness car seats. One of those car seats can be rear facing as well. I also have a 21 pound baby still in his infant car seat. I plan on moving him into his brothers car seat and rear facing it and putting his brother (the 4 year old) into a booster seat.
The 4 year old is 45 pounds. Whats a good option of a car seat for him? booster with 5 point harness? regular seat belt ok? booster with the high back? or just the seat part?
Please tell me what is legally fine. I know lots of people are not strict about car seats, but I am. I also do a lot of driving.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 1:44 pm
Child Car Seat Laws

Kids under 8 years old who are less than 57 inches tall must ride in the backseat properly secured in a child safety seat or booster. If the vehicle does not have a backseat, the child may ride in the front while properly secured in an appropriate seat.
http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jers.....s.php

loveit

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 3:38 pm
High back booster with a five point harness. Keep his harnessed still. Then eventually when he's taller switch to the seatbelt. Harness is just so much safer. My kids are harnessed until at least 6 years old

momof2+?

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:31 pm
Thanks. Anyone else? Ideas of which booster to get?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:34 pm
Yes. The five-point harness is very, very important. A regular seat belt can cause ch"v internal rupture of organs of small children. 5 pt harness should always be used until the child is at least as large as an average 8 year old.

Rear facing for as long as possible is best, due to risk of internal decapitation on impact. Ch'v, we should never know from it, but sometimes when a car is hit, the child's head which weighs very much in comparision to the rest of the body can lurch forward and the bones disconnect. Many kids die when that happen. Others suffer for years through healing.

Hashem should protect us all!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 8:26 am
Do you having to fit 3 kids in a row?
One budget friendly but good option is he Harmony Defender, and when used in harness mode, your 4 yo will be very safe. My 3.5 yo is in a Diono Radian and my 5.5 yo is in a Britax Roundabout -- both expensive seats usually....but I would be happy to use a Harmony if I needed to replace them. My 5.5 yo (going into 1st grade) will not be transitioning to a booster any time soon, though I do have her sit in a high back booster on short 5 minute trips here and there to "train" her for sake of playdates when she'll be in others' cars. I would not have my almost 4 yo do that though!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics