Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o small apt. City life

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:06 pm
So I didn't want to hijack the other thread.
I live in a 1 br apt. expecting #4 iy'H. My mother keeps telling everyone that nobody lives in a smaller apt than her daughter lol. I don't agree with her but whatever.
We just make it work.

So now we want to convert our crib to a toddler bunk bed.

Any other ideas for space saving or clutter eliminating ?(which I personally feel is the biggest challenge ( ok, aside for no relaxing baths ever with just one bathroom)

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:49 pm
We have a toddler and live in a studio. Baby sleeps in walk in closet. Don't picture a Pinterest nursery closet. A closet, with a pack n play in it. She's loved and cared for and doesn't know any better and calls it her bedroom. The apartment is affordable and our commutes are amazing (so more time with her) This isn't our forever home and won't work for that much longer but it's totally fine. Tiny living is a thing

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 1:11 pm
Pennilessparenting.com talks about living in a small space with a big family. You can read Her blog or probably email her for advice

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 2:02 pm
Shelves are a biggy. Brainstorm for all the places you can out them. On bedroom/kitchen walls, on top of closet rods, etc
Store things such as clothing and toys in containers on each shelf.

All available floor - such as under beds/cribs and closet floors, etc can be used for either drawers or storage.

Also behind furniture is another untapped space for storing skinny things, such as a folding table, skinny folded step stool, etc.

Btw, you are not alone. I lived in a one bedroom with a larger family than you have kah and now live in a two bedroom with an even bigger family. We are few and far between (in America at least), but pple like us do exist!

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 9:33 am
if there is any way you can move, do it. it will do wonders for your sanity to have space. I used to think I liked living small, but moving to a place with space was mentally so great for our whole family.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
if there is any way you can move, do it. it will do wonders for your sanity to have space. I used to think I liked living small, but moving to a place with space was mentally so great for our whole family.

I agree w her. I was also fine w living in a smaller apt for 10 years and we made it work because every month my husband or I Or together we would tackle one room and declutter and kept only most essential things. We didn't save any baby clothes or gear, we didn't buy things in bulk or wholesale (cosco) rather only what was needed for that week or possibly the next as well, we didn't eat in disposables because I didnt have room for them and having plates that I reuse and wash took up less space.. kids were a little cramped and they had no room to play because we didn't have room for many toys, (good thing there not the type to play w toys and they rather run jump bike etc.)

I thought I had it all under control until a friend walked in on me in the middle of my monthly inventory decluttering scene and she recommended "the life changing magic of trying up" by Marie kondo that REALLY taught me how to declutter without mercy! When I did it I literally felt like my house lost 40 lbs. it was such a pleasure living there.... BUT it has been an even bigger pleasure moving to a bigger apt. BH we were able to, and I came in also w barely any things cuz now that I have the space I don't wanna abuse it and have an excuse for clutter, but it just gives u so much nachat to have more room and have everything fit where it belongs out of sight and without having to make it work playing Tetris w things and space.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 11:15 am
One bedroom with four kids doesn't sound so sustainable...I know a lot about small apartments and I've seen a lot of making it work for larger families with two bedrooms -one for parents, one for kids - but without having a room there aren't so many ways to maximize the space in the bedroom you don't have. That said, I spent too long in a divided studio with two kids so it's possible for some time. It got more challenging as the kids got older and started to care more about personal space and not sleeping in the living room.

I know you're looking for ideas other than decluttering but I'll reiterate it anyway. Just don't own anything extra.

Invest in furniture that maximizes space and doesn't waste any. Replace any dressers or bookshelves with floor-to-ceiling units. You get much MUCH more storage space plus eliminate the cluttery look of things collecting on surface. I recommend Ikea pax system but you can also probably just build your own shelves or something. Definitely hang a curtain in front of it if you do that because

IMHO looks are almost everything. My biggest issue was that it was hard to have peace of mind in a small space with lots of stuff in it when you see all the stuff. When I got my tall white closets with doors, it felt like the apartment grew significantly. Things had more places to be put away and when you closed the doors you didn't see it. And the white doors made things look more airy.

Hang things on walls but not all the walls.

Get or make some nice artwork so you can feel like you have some nice space and not only stuff all over.

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
So I didn't want to hijack the other thread.
I live in a 1 br apt. expecting #4 iy'H. My mother keeps telling everyone that nobody lives in a smaller apt than her daughter lol. I don't agree with her but whatever.
We just make it work.

So now we want to convert our crib to a toddler bunk bed.

Any other ideas for space saving or clutter eliminating ?(which I personally feel is the biggest challenge ( ok, aside for no relaxing baths ever with just one bathroom)

We were in almost the same position as you until we moved earlier this year. My husband has a friend who built--and will sell--toddler bunk beds. I've seen it, its very sturdy. My husband kept trying to get us to bite, but I had reasons why I didn't think it was the right direction for us. PM me for more details.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics