Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Raw chicken in fridge - still good?

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:29 pm
I started defrosting chicken Thursday night. Decided not to cook it for Shabbos and put it into the fridge about 70% thawed (had been defrosting in cool water.) Intended to cook it yesterday or today instead. Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided JUST IN CASE to check stilltasty.com to see if it's OK to use chicken that's been in the fridge for almost 4 days. It says chicken stays fresh in the fridge for just 1-2 days. First thought: YIKES! Second thought: but when you first buy it in the store, the "use by" date on the package is always several days ahead. So that means it's obviously meant to be able to stay in the fridge for about 4-5 days. So how does it make sense that stilltasty.com has such a different idea about this?

The chicken went from the store fridge to my home fridge in a well-insulated cooler pack, stayed in the fridge maybe a couple of days before being bagged and put in the freezer (I buy the family size pack and break it up into portions), was frozen solid for maybe a couple of weeks, and then partially defrosted this past Thursday evening.

Need to figure out within 20 minutes or so whether I'm cooking this for tonight's dinner.

Kicking myself for forgetting that I was going to cook it yesterday to save for tonight's dinner. Sigh. This is what you get for trying to juggle too many jobs at once.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:34 pm
Raw chicken needs to be used within 2 days. Sometimes it's still possible by 3 but it's already smelly and iffy and depends on situation. Longer is no good. Sad

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:38 pm
You'd be taking a huge risk. Also commercial refrigeration isn't the same as what we have at home .

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:42 pm
Did you smell it?

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:54 pm
PAMOM wrote:
You'd be taking a huge risk. Also commercial refrigeration isn't the same as what we have at home .
But when you buy it in the store, it gives at least 3-4 days before the use by date - and that's after you bring it home, not in the commercial fridge. Commercial fridge would be "sell by" not "use by." That's the source of my confusion.

I didn't smell it yet but I know not all bad guys can be smelled.

So mad at myself that I keep losing meat to spoilage by not attending to the timing Sad

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 7:47 pm
When in doubt throw it out. I buy family packs and re package into serving sizes. I make sure to date the new package with the date it was repackaged as well as the use by date on the original package.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 7:54 pm
Ugh, this exact scenario just happened to me. I ended up throwing it out because I didn't take a risk (it was also a family pack of chicken that I never got around to dividing up). Rather safe than sorry.

esuss

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:36 pm
Been there done that. I once asked my butcher this very question. Freshly bought chicken that was never frozen you could keep in fridge till best by date 2-3 days. Chicken that was defrosted you have to cook within 24 hours of thawing. It would have been better to cook it right away on Thursday then froze for supper this week.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 12:48 am
seeker wrote:
But when you buy it in the store, it gives at least 3-4 days before the use by date - and that's after you bring it home, not in the commercial fridge.

but you said you did keep in the fridge after you bought it for several days before freezing. that means once you defrost your window is very small.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 7:04 am
There's a big difference between fresh chicken and defrosted chicken. You can keep fresh chicken in the fridge for up to 3 days. Defrosted chicken should be used within 24-48 hours, depending how it was defrosted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen