Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How do ppl afford it? Living in EY.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:59 am
Zeleze wrote:
If your young, then both parents MUST pitch in to help, otherwise you can't manage each month ..

If your a older couple, then savings will help, or pension.

Why didn't anyone tell me that when I was a newlywed?
And if that's the case, where do the older couples get their savings from?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 4:02 am
Zeleze wrote:
If your young, then both parents MUST pitch in to help, otherwise you can't manage each month ..

If your a older couple, then savings will help, or pension.
Nobody MUST do anything. If both spouses are working why cant they manage????
And not every young newly wed couple is living the kollel life. But even then parents dont HAVE TO do anything.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 4:06 am
Without being morbid, do you hope to be buried in E.Y.? If so, factor in shipping a body to Israel. (It was about $12,000 fifteen years ago. I don't know what it is now.) Plots in Israel for Americans can be upwards of $20K, but Israelis living in Israel get a free plot.[/quote]

Hi, firstly, Israelis living in Israel do not get a free burial plot.
A close family members of ours was niftar recently, he was a 5th generation Jerusalemite, and the family had to pay for his burial plot and matzeivah.

In general no person (Israeli or from chu'l) remains unburied in Israel even if the family can't afford the steep fee for the burial. There's always a way around it, be'H.

Just as lhbd'l no living person lives on the streets (unless they do so by their own choice - the homeless r'l) the city is expected to provide living quarters for every resident who can't afford it on their own.

As for shipping a body from overseas to Israel: true the chevra kadisha take a very lot for that, but ZAKA do it sometimes for much cheaper.

Burial in E'Y is expensive b/c it's a zchus to be buried in E'Y.

So, on the opposite end of the pole, think what a big zchus it is to LIVE in E'Y despite the hardships.

grace413

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 4:12 am
[quote="amother"]
A close family members of ours was niftar recently, he was a 5th generation Jerusalemite, and the family had to pay for his burial plot and matzeivah.

quote]

I believe you are mistaken. Free burial for is available for all Israeli residents. The catch is that you have to take whichever burial plot is offered. For this reason people who want to buried next to family members generally purchase a plot next to the niftar. Yes, you do have to pay for your own gravestone. For instance we now have a cemetery in Maale Adumim where a resident can be buried for free. If I wanted to be buried in Har Hamenuchot I would have to pay. (May we all live to 120)

juggling

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 4:13 am
Teomima wrote:
I disagree. Not just in theory, either. We made it as a young couple without help. You work. You budget. You live within your means. Same goes as an older couple, too. My 77 year old father is still working.

Maybe I read her wrong. I didnt think she meant both parents, as in the husband's parents and the wife's parents. I thought she meant both parents, as in the husband and the wife. Like, both husband and wife must work hard, in order to make it through the month. In that case, most of the time that is correct. Most families here need two salaries, sometimes plus side jobs, to make it. Or maybe I misunderstood her. If she meant that young couples need support from their parents, mamash lo. Outside the charedi world that is not a thing.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 4:18 am
[quote="Zeleze"]If your young, then both parents MUST pitch in to help, otherwise you can't manage each month ..

so what happens if parents cannot afford to fully or semi support a new young couple?
or if they have 15+ kids or even 8+ kids, are they supposed to support each child when they get married???

Parents are not expected to do anything for their married kids, and if parents do do, then it's a nice gift and it should be appreciated. I feel that the trend of "it's coming to me" / "I deserve to get this" amongst newlyweds and unmarried children, is growing. And it's very wrong.
It's a gift for the parents to their children if they rip that trend out and don't let it sprout in their family.

Why should fathers be rushed to hospital with heart attacks just b/c they're in the midst of marrying off their children??? At the most joyous occasion in their lives.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 4:31 am
[quote="grace413"]
amother wrote:

quote]

I believe you are mistaken. Free burial for is available for all Israeli residents. The catch is that you have to take whichever burial plot is offered. For this reason people who want to buried next to family members generally purchase a plot next to the niftar. Yes, you do have to pay for your own gravestone. For instance we now have a cemetery in Maale Adumim where a resident can be buried for free. If I wanted to be buried in Har Hamenuchot I would have to pay. (May we all live to 120)

Sorry: My mistake in saying Israelis. If one wants to be buried in Jerusalem than one has to pay for the burial plot. I don't know how it is in the rest of Israel.
My husband is connected to the chevra kadisha in Jerusalem and is one of the administrators
in ZAKA since its inception almost 30 years ago, that's how I know a bit of these things.

Hey I'd appreciate if anyone can advise me please - I'm a newbie to imamother - joined this week, how do I place quotes that I responding to into a blue rectangle?

thanxaload!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:40 am
Op here
Thanks for all your responses.
I was just trying to figure out how budgeted of a life it would be.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:44 am
Iymnok wrote:
We are not and we're not supported.
We bought our large apartment on paper for 1.3m nis. It is now worth about 1.8m. We pay under 2000nis/month in mortgage. It. Is. Just outside of Jerusalem, so the price is lower, but the space is much larger. Mirpeset too. Because of our lifestyle, our utilities are low. (5 kids).

There are many ways to get well priced food here. We get our chicken and meat from large orders every few months. We eat Eida, Rubin, Shearis, Machpud. The meat is from a South American shipment. Presently chicken legs are very expensive, wings are cheap, we usually get whole chickens or backs. We try to stay at or under 20/kg. Meat, we order a case for cholent(#8) and #3/brisket for about 40-50/kg, if I remember right.
Fruits and veggies we buy in season.
White bread and basic dairy is price controlled.
Grains and legumes can be bought in bulk for cheaper. Once you learn how to check for bugs, it's really no biggie.
Osher Ad is cheaper for some things, but like anywhere, think before you spend. Sometimes your local makolet is cheaper. Mine is selling milk for 3.90/L.

As above, most people do not have cars if they live in a place with decent busses. That's most places. The car itself may not be much with the Aliyah benefits, but the gas is. Insurance does not include guest drivers without a higher premium.
(My dream right now is a golf cart). But convert your license even if you don't get a car right away. You only need one lesson, not the full 40.

Get your air conditioner from someone who knows the science of it. Each home has a different airflow, so different units are ideal. Having the best system in your home saves money and energy while it's running.

Once you arrive, figure out what social benefits you're entitled to.

I think healthcare will be your biggest saving. There are special benefits for seniors. Including live-in help if needed.

Can you please let me know where you bought for 1.3m., and how far by bus to the central bus station in Jerusalem. Thanks

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 7:03 am
amother wrote:
Can you please let me know where you bought for 1.3m., and how far by bus to the central bus station in Jerusalem. Thanks

Feel free to pm me. We signed over five years ago. It's always less to buy on paper. It's about a 45min bus ride with clear traffic to Binyanei Hauma.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 7:24 am
amother wrote:
Im a different amother who bought, on paper, about a year and a half ago, for 1.5, about 35 - 45 minutes out of jerusalem.
It is possible. You just have to look out for places being built.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 7:45 am
Can someone explain what buying on paper means
Thanks

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 7:49 am
amother wrote:
Can someone explain what buying on paper means
Thanks

You buy the house/apartment before it is built. All you have are the plans "on paper".
You start making payments at intervals throughout the building process and final payment is when you get the keys.
It's significantly cheaper than buying an apartment which is already built.
You can also make changes to the plans before they start building.

Karnash

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:00 am
A word of caution. Buying on paper also means that you don't know who your neighbors will be, and in the case of new neighborhoods, what the surroundings will be like and what level of development there will be. Only buy from a registered contractor (kablan) with a good track record. Make sure you can get bank guarantees (which you have to pay for - it's like insurance.)
Finished apartments cost more, but there are less unknowns.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:21 am
The other problem with buying on paper is that you need to have the finances to be paying rent at the same time as you start paying for a mortgage. Frequently, the projects don't finish on time and you end up needing savings to get you through the months/ years till your apartment is done. We looked into it.

treestump

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:31 am
We actually spend less here than we did in America, for a higher standard of living.

We're renting, but it's cheaper for a new, beautiful apartment in a central location than what we were paying in NY for a smaller, old apartment.

Health insurance here is amazing. A few shekel a month, instead of a few thousand dollars, and it covers a lot more.

Food is more expensive. It depends what hechsherim you use though - if you buy rabanut the price difference isn't as drastic.

If you have a car, it's more than double the cost between taxes and gas prices. But many people don't need cars in cities with excellent transportation.

Most other things - good clothing, utensils, appliances, etc. - are more expensive. I try to order from America sometimes because the price difference is so high.

There are many expenses here which are higher. But for many people, the savings on housing, health insurance, and tuition balance those higher expenses.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 12:18 pm
[quote="grace413"]
amother wrote:

quote]

This is true. Free burial is available for all Israelis, but not necessarily in the place they may want to be buried. I had relatives that were buried for free and relatives that chose elsewhere so they paid. Both of these situations were outside of Yerushalayim.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 2:56 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
The other problem with buying on paper is that you need to have the finances to be paying rent at the same time as you start paying for a mortgage. Frequently, the projects don't finish on time and you end up needing savings to get you through the months/ years till your apartment is done. We looked into it.

That depends on how you've worked out your mortgage. The builder has a date to be finished by. After which he must start paying your rent. Generally a set price per room of the unit you bought. Try to raise that amount before signing. I think ours was two (or three) years from heter b'niyah.
Also with a high enough down, the mortgage can have low monthly payments.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:02 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Why didn't anyone tell me that when I was a newlywed?
And if that's the case, where do the older couples get their savings from?

Did you honestly manage to buy a 1.3million apartment in Israel without any help at all from anyone?
For a young yeshivish American couple that is highly unusual and close to impossible.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:02 pm
Look into Ramat Bet Shemesh Gimmel and Givat Zev. In Givat Zev, there is a new DL area and a new chareidi area. The chareidi area is called Agan Ha'ayalot.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions