Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My son can't tie shoe laces!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:15 pm
My 10 year old ds can't tie shoelaces, but he doesn't want to wear Velcro sneakers anymore. I tried to teach him, but it's not working, any ideas of methods that are really easy? Is there anyone in Flatbush that gives lessons (does that sound crazy?)?TIA!

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:34 pm
Did you try the 2 loop method?

fbc

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:35 pm
First of all I'd like to say that I used the double loop method, which I find way easier, and works just as well. Secondly, I didn't know how to tie shoes using the single loop method until I was 20!!

purple 1

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:41 pm
The bunny ears method is easier - with 2 loops. I still use it 🙈

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:52 pm
There was a video going around the web some time ago with a new trick. It might have been on an autism website, I'm not sure but it was definitely getting a lot of shares between autism moms who said it worked well for kids who had a hard time learning the usual way.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:11 pm
What method have you tried? Does he have trouble with other fine motor activities? Maybe a few sessions with an OT could help.

You can try having him practice with his shoe on the table (not on his foot) to make it easier to manage. Also, you can try practicing with 2 different colored laces to help him better see what he's doing.

I think they make laces that coil at the end so they don't need to be tied. Not sure how well they work, but may be worth a try as a last resort.

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:40 pm
Lol, I tie my kids shoelaces. I think my older one could probably do it himself by now, but time is precious during the morning rush so I just do it for him because it's quicker.

Age 10 is a bit old for Velcro sneakers, so I understand why your son wants laces. Good Luck! Tongue Out

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Jun 21 2017, 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 1:45 am
I couldn't tie shoe laces until I was about 10 years old, when someone taught me the two loop method that I use until today.

cbg

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:52 am
https://www.u-lace.com/product.....SwEDg

There's others as well
Search no tie laces

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 12:14 pm
I bought my 10 year old keen sneakers with bungee laces. I know he will have to learn eventually, but this will have to work until then.

I think I got something similar to these on amazon: KEEN Kids' Oakridge Low WP Sneaker. The bungee on one of them did break after awhile and then we just wrote to the company and got replacements for free. I think we did this on their website. It did take some time for them to arrive, so for future, I would just order a replacement bungee as soon as you get the shoe.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
My 10 year old ds can't tie shoelaces, but he doesn't want to wear Velcro sneakers anymore. I tried to teach him, but it's not working, any ideas of methods that are really easy? ?TIA!

Besides what others said about the bunny ears, there are two things you have to keep in mind, patience and practice!! I taught my 9 1/2 year old recently. I made him do it every time (unless we were time constrained) once he got the hang of it even if he didn't do it well. If he didn't do tie it well, I would fix or retie it. In the beginning, I saw what he did wrong and now it's awhile later and he doesn't ask me for any help. He actually just got new sneakers, my husband bought them, and I had to ask him if they're tie or velcro because when he put them on this morning, he didn't say anything to me.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:33 pm
Lessons? really? Parents by me just show their kids. Teachers can do it too. You're supposed to learn before first grade.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:44 pm
Aren't there nice slip-ons out there?

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:48 pm
Try this way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaHxsilsKI

This one explains it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GStLF21lfY

Best to watch the second video.upside down

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:58 pm
This is simple and the visuals in this video are very clear for kids. It's short and can be replayed over and over for practice.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsydRalh0ow

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
Lessons? really? Parents by me just show their kids. Teachers can do it too. You're supposed to learn before first grade.

We've tried and tried, of course I would prefer not to have to pay for lessons, it just hasn't been working, my son actually just got approved for ot through the DOE, but that won't start until September. It's become more of an issue now because my son feels embarrassed to wear Velcro & in camp you need to take your sneakers on & off for swimming
Thanks to whoever recommended the fake laces & the different ways to teach, I ordered the laces for ds to use while we practice with real laces

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 3:44 pm
I couldn't tie my shoes until I was 9.

Get laces that are 2 different colors to practice with (tie them in the middle, then lace up the shoe), it's much easier to follow if each hand / loop is a different color.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
We've tried and tried, of course I would prefer not to have to pay for lessons, it just hasn't been working, my son actually just got approved for ot through the DOE, but that won't start until September. It's become more of an issue now because my son feels embarrassed to wear Velcro & in camp you need to take your sneakers on & off for swimming
Thanks to whoever recommended the fake laces & the different ways to teach, I ordered the laces for ds to use while we practice with real laces

I can teach your son to tie his shoes. Email me ozerrehab@gmail.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children