Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Kids have a hard time falling asleep

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 11:13 pm
I've tried putting them to bed at earlier and later times. Nothing helps. They still fall asleep late and wake up very early.

Ped. said to give melo. I know it helps because I've given it very occasionally, but I'm not happy about it as a longer-term option as studies are inconclusive.

Any other suggestions?

(Dd's are 31/2 &5 yo)

salt

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 4:37 am
Do they seem to lack sleep?
Do they seem really tired?
Do you have to wake them early, or they wake up by themselves?
Are they happy to fall asleep late, I mean do they just lie in their beds, or up they up and about in the house till you want to go to sleep, calling you, and asking you for things, getting out of bed the whole time?

Maybe it's fine. How do you know they're not sleeping enough? What I'm trying to ask, is what part of it bothers you? Then we may have suggestions...

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 7:09 am
Most of my kids don't fall asleep before 10-10:30 without melatonin. And that's early...
I know... I'd like it to be different but Falling asleep is something I've struggled with also. Personally, I am very grateful for melatonin. I think my childhood years would've been much easier with it. I used to toss and turn till way after midnight.
As my kids grow older they one by one outgrow it. They fall asleep by themselves. My 11 year old who I thought will never be able to fall asleep without melatonin (because the child was previously up till 3 am if I forgot to give it) suddenly forgets to take it and falls asleep before 9 pm without it!!

Zehava

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 7:49 am
Try taking them to the park and getting them to be more active.
In my house that works better than melatonin.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:23 am
I give my kid calcium (a relaxant) and sleepytime tea from celestial seasonings about an hour before bedtime. I don't know if it's the placebo effect (she gets anxious about not being able to sleep and this calms her down) if if there's really something too it but I find bedtimes are calmer when we do. Can't hurt to try.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:45 am
yogabird wrote:
I give my kid calcium (a relaxant) and sleepytime tea from celestial seasonings about an hour before bedtime. I don't know if it's the placebo effect (she gets anxious about not being able to sleep and this calms her down) if if there's really something too it but I find bedtimes are calmer when we do. Can't hurt to try.

Thank u all!
Think I'll try this!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:58 am
salt wrote:
Do they seem to lack sleep?
Do they seem really tired?
Do you have to wake them early, or they wake up by themselves?
Are they happy to fall asleep late, I mean do they just lie in their beds, or up they up and about in the house till you want to go to sleep, calling you, and asking you for things, getting out of bed the whole time?

Maybe it's fine. How do you know they're not sleeping enough? What I'm trying to ask, is what part of it bothers you? Then we may have suggestions...

To answer the questions-yes- they seem tired and kvetchy. They wake up before 7 on their own. So no I don't think they get enough hours of sleep.

They'll fall asleep between 9-10 and most nights they're pretty calm, reading books or playing with dolls in bed. It bothers me because:
A- then they're tired. B- they either wake the baby or don't let him sleep. C- I work from home evenings so I would really like to have that hour before I start working to eat supper and clean up a little. Plus when they come out of bed to ask me or tell me something or crying when I'm already working it takes away from my time ( that I get paid, so then I'll 'give' back time after hours and start my night even later) and it's really not fair to clients I'm talking to then.

miami85

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 10:06 am
1) Do they nap?
2) If left to their own "devices" do they have a consistent sleep and wake time?

It's an old-fashion notion that preschoolers need 11-12 hours of sleep a night. More current research says 10-13 hours. I find that my kids are the 10 hour kind. They go to sleep around 9pm and wake up around 7am (School nights more like 8:30-6:30). When I came to this realization it made bedtime more tolerable.

Is there light waking them up in the morning?

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 10:12 am
You can get room darkeners if there's a lot of sunlight coming into the room. I find my kids fall asleep later in summer when it's light out till very late.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 10:15 am
yogabird wrote:
You can get room darkeners if there's a lot of sunlight coming into the room. I find my kids fall asleep later in summer when it's light out till very late.

Yes, this helped us last summer. This year my little one already tore one and it doesn't really work anymore.

But, it is still a great idea.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 10:15 am
miami85 wrote:
1) Do they nap?
2) If left to their own "devices" do they have a consistent sleep and wake time?

It's an old-fashion notion that preschoolers need 11-12 hours of sleep a night. More current research says 10-13 hours. I find that my kids are the 10 hour kind. They go to sleep around 9pm and wake up around 7am (School nights more like 8:30-6:30). When I came to this realization it made bedtime more tolerable.

Is there light waking them up in the morning?

They NEVER EVER nap!!! Which is frustrating cuz not on school days when they're really tired I would have really liked them to.
If left to own devices they do not have a consistent sleep time, though wake up is on their own.
There's very little light coming in as I put up a mat behind the blinds to darken the room ( which is obviously still not helping them fall asleep earlier/wake up later)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers