Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ideas for filling pareve/dairy breakfast and lunch daily

yamz

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 11:11 am
Help! School's out, which means I need to provide three meals a day. How do you churn out three filling, reasonably healthy meals every day for children who actually eat? Any ideas? I find lunch to be especially difficult.

Here are the qualifiers:
- I don't want to spend my entire life in the kitchen, so quick and easy with minimal dirty dishes is strongly preferred
- Freezer space is quite limited, so making big batches and freezing won't work
- My kids don't love cold cereal and won't eat it every morning for breakfast
- The kids really eat, so just scrambled eggs or something like that for lunch won't cut it
- I don't want to do sandwiches or pasta every single day
- At least some of the food needs to be portable
- All the food needs to be pareve or dairy
- The occasional frozen pizza is fine, but I don't want to lean too heavily on processed foods

Thanks for you help.

lfab

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 11:42 am
Will they eat fish? I make breaded baked tilapia, which is pretty quick and easy. I serve with rice. But, you can make any fish that they like. What I like about the breaded tilapia is that it can be eaten room temp too. So if you want to do a day trip you can make ahead the night before and take it with you.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:22 pm
breakfast ideas to rotate:
yogurt parfaits (yogurt, granola, fruit)
cereal and milk
dutch baby pancake (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/dutch-baby-pancake)- can double/triple etc the recipe
avocado toast

Lunch:
quinoa or farro salad, cut up veggie sticks with hummus
breakfast burritos- scrambled eggs, tortillas, salsa, avacado, cheese, can add beans too
baked potatoes with cheese, sour cream and butter and baked fresh fish
brown rice and beans and salsa (do you have a rice cooker, it makes making rice so easy)
oven baked (no boil) spinach or zuchinni lasagna
blt sandwich, with fake bacon and whole wheat bread, can add avocado and sprouts
baked tofu strips and sweet potato halves

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:47 pm
Here are some lunch ideas:
mejedra (rice and lentils) and spinach quiche (2 easy recipes)
cinnamon cottage cheese toasts, cut up veggies
potato meat or cheese burekas
falafel (buy mix or ready made balls) and stuff pitas with falafel, israeli salad, chummus, techina
chicken cutlets on skewers "lolly pop chicken" with quick blended soup
tuna patties - kids love them, with french fries (homemade and baked- I use a recipe from Leah Schapira and Victoria Dweck with salt, cumin and garlic powder - rub oil on fries and then spices and bake.
tuna sandwiches (put in a baguette to make it exciting) with pickles
whole wheat pasta salad
peas and carrots (canned) and orzo or couscous
canned beans and rice

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 1:05 pm
yamz wrote:
Help! School's out, which means I need to provide three meals a day. How do you churn out three filling, reasonably healthy meals every day for children who actually eat? Any ideas? I find lunch to be especially difficult.

Here are the qualifiers:
- I don't want to spend my entire life in the kitchen, so quick and easy with minimal dirty dishes is strongly preferred
- Freezer space is quite limited, so making big batches and freezing won't work
- My kids don't love cold cereal and won't eat it every morning for breakfast
- The kids really eat, so just scrambled eggs or something like that for lunch won't cut it
- I don't want to do sandwiches or pasta every single day
- At least some of the food needs to be portable
- All the food needs to be pareve or dairy
- The occasional frozen pizza is fine, but I don't want to lean too heavily on processed foods

Thanks for you help.

Change up the eggs for breakfast
-Frittata - beat eggs, add cut veggies that don't need sauteeing, season, pour in greased 9" pan and bake 35 minutes. Serve slices with toast.
-Spanish tortilla - egg and potato dish.
-Cheese pancakes made with cottage cheese. Serve with cut fruit.

Lunch ideas

You can make a bunch of salads for ghe fridge that can be ready as sides like tabouli, rice salad, potato salad, corn salad.

-Flounder fillet - spice and microwave tilapia for 4 minutes. Quick potato salad from microwaved potatoes. Add cut up veggies.
-Breaded fish - bake at 425 for 18 minutes after dusting it with garlic powder and salt. Roast a vegetable like zucchini sticks at the same time. Also bake diced red potatoes at same temp but for about double the amount of time.
-Quesadillas which are a snap to make
-Macaroni cheese salad - make the day before and store in individual containers so it's portable
-Egg & avocado salad - avocado, tomato, onion garlic salad with a light mayo coating and quartered eggs on top. Eat with bagel chips (sliced day old bagels toasted with spices). Also portable in containers.

Keep hard boiled eggs ready in fridge. Cheese sticks, yogurt drinks, granola bars.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jun 22 2017, 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 1:06 pm
The slow cooker may be your friend:
You can vegetarian chili in it or slow cooked lentils and probably lots of other dairy/pareve things that I don't know about

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 1:34 pm
Ra mom, how do you get the potatoes to cook thru in a spanish egg omlet, without overcoking the eggs?

yamz

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:19 pm
Wow, thanks for all the replies! They are really helpful. In my state of semi-panic, I completely forgot about baked potatoes and bourekas and avocado toasts and breaded fish....

I forgot to add one last limitation: They won't eat beans/legumes (even hummus) or peppers. Rolling Eyes

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:27 pm
Things on regular breakfast and and lunch roster, my kids are not huge eaters and quite picky so sorry if these don't cut it: oatmeal with blueberries and or cinnamon and honey, kasha with honey, plain Greek yogurt with blueberries, yogurt fruit smoothies, brown rice pasta with tomato sauce and chickpeas from a can, grilled cheese on whole wheat bread, fish sticks, blueberry and cottage cheese pancakes (make a lot, freeze and warm up in toaster) French toast, canned salmon in a pita with veggies, guacamole with pita chips, crackers and chummus, frozen veggie burgers, frozen falafel balls with pita and salad, homemade granola with yogurt or milk, egg muffins, oven fries, pizza pitas,

yamz

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:32 pm
Lizzzie4, what are "cinnamon cottage cheese toasts?
Ra_mom, does the avocado in this salad stay green and fresh looking for a few hours? Every time I pack someone avocado for lunch, it's brown and unappealing looking after a short while no matter how I try to pack it.

yamz

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:41 pm
Yogabird, thanks for contributing ideas. My kids will definitely most of that stuff. They just might not have a smoothie and call it breakfast. (They'd be thrilled with it, then come back for more food in an hour.) Do you have a brand of frozen falafel balls that you would recommend? I bought a box once, and the falafel balls were dreadful. I have been apprehensive about trying again, which is a pity, because they are a good option.

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:48 pm
Cinnamon cottage cheese toast is just that- spread some cottage cheese on bread, sprinkle some cinnamon and toast- great aroma and cottage cheese melts a bit- tastes great- even my 1 year old will eat it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:53 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Ra mom, how do you get the potatoes to cook thru in a spanish egg omlet, without overcoking the eggs?

It's a two step processes with the potatoes being started first.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 2:56 pm
yamz wrote:
Lizzzie4, what are "cinnamon cottage cheese toasts?
Ra_mom, does the avocado in this salad stay green and fresh looking for a few hours? Every time I pack someone avocado for lunch, it's brown and unappealing looking after a short while no matter how I try to pack it.

Cube but don't mix in the avocado, leave it on top and place the pit on top of the pile. Mix in the avocado when serving.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 3:05 pm
Would your kids eat hot cereal in the morning? We have cream of wheat every day.
Oatmeal is a treat for them. (It cooks longer so I usually don't bother)
Cornbread
Muffins -lots of variations here, add nuts, fruit, jelly, toppings, spices...

Any of the above with fruits and milk of soft cheeses would make a yummy filling breakfast. Try for whole grains to keep everyone full for longer.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 3:17 pm
I recently started making my own falafel balls and freezing them, but when I used to buy I think I got amnon's or mendelsohn's. We found them very edible. I went with the one that had the least fake ingredients.

Totally get you about smoothies etc not being a full breakfast. It works for us on school days because my kids don't wake up that hungry and they get cereal in school a little later on in the day. On off days I might combine that with a hot cereal or an egg dish.

Either way my kids tend to be grazers, and when they're home we do mini-meals in between big meals instead of just a fruit or non-filling snack. I usually do a fruit or veggie, plus nuts or seeds, cheese or hard boiled eggs, plus a (relatively) healthy Carb like sweet potato chips, ww pretzels, tortilla chips, popcorn etc. banana, peanut butter and dark chocolate chips are popular here too, as well as ww crackers with PB and 100% fruit jam. I find these mini meals keep them busy as well full(er).

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 5:35 pm
Tuna, Egg salad, Cole slaw, Pickles, not in a sandwich
Salmon patties (I keep these in the freezer) make like a burger in a bun
Big frittata, made with what ever leftover veggies
Pizza made from wraps with tons of veggies
Mac n cheese or lasagna (less pasta)
Brocolli with cheese or cubed eggplant with cheese

I love soup even when it's hot, but that's me, I make a huge pot of veggie soup and serve grilled cheese with it. Sometimes chunky and sometimes blended.

Also, I make extra at dinner and lunch is leftovers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen