Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How important is negel vasser?
1  2  Next

sweetie2shoes

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 2:12 am
I ask because growing up it was treated as an absolutely crucial and inexcusable matter. However my dh's approach is far more relaxed. So can anyone tell me: How vital is negel vasser? How important is washing at your bedside vs. washing at the sink? And how crucial is it to wash babies and toddlers?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 3:06 am
Nagel vasser is vital. So important that during WWII there was a priest that was holding a convent full of Jewish kids and he gave the nuns orders that the children should wash nagel vasser every morning and the water should be repurposed for them to drink during the day.
The tuma in nagel vasser water is so strong that he believed it would help him corrode away at the children's spirituality.

There is also the danger aspect. The halacha says that a person should never wash nagel vasser where someone walks because there is an inherent ruach ra that is very powerful.

As for babies, I learned that nagel vasser is a must from the time a child could theoretically hold a cracker in their hand to eat it.

We also wash nagel vasser after a nap of more than 15 minutes.

As for by the bed or not, there are different shitas. And of course, any way of washing nagel vasser is better than no washing.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 3:08 am
amother wrote:
Nagel vasser is vital. So important that during WWII there was a priest that was holding a convent full of Jewish kids and he gave the nuns orders that the children should wash nagel vasser every morning and the water should be repurposed for them to drink during the day.
The tuma in nagel vasser water is so strong that he believed it would help him corrode away at the children's spirituality.

There is also the danger aspect. The halacha says that a person should never wash nagel vasser where someone walks because there is an inherent ruach ra that is very powerful.

As for babies, I learned that nagel vasser is a must from the time a child could theoretically hold a cracker in their hand to eat it.

We also wash nagel vasser after a nap of more than 15 minutes.

As for by the bed or not, there are different shitas. And of course, any way of washing nagel vasser is better than no washing.

I've always learned that you only have to wash after sleeping for 30 minutes or more.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:08 am
We wash by the sink. We asked a shaila (ftr to a yeshivish, Lakewood posek) about kids and were told that it's a nice thing and should be encouraged, but is not required until bar/bas mitzva.
We encourage them but don't force them or restrict their activities if they don't wash.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 5:33 am
I learned absolutely different things for adults and children alike. Please ask your rav.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 8:43 am
Chasidim are more makpid to wash by the bed.
We also washed our newborns already negel vasser.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 9:10 am
Wouldn't negel vasser be like any other halachah? There are some that are machmir who can provide all kind of sources as to how important it is and others who are maikel who do it differently. If you ask this question in Lakewood or the 5towns you will likely get different responses.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 2:24 pm
What do you mean, your DH is relaxed? Like he walks to shul and washes over there? That's not okay?

Do you mean that he walks to the kitchen from the bedroom? It's not ideal but probably not the end of the world.

Of course, you should wash as close as possible.

I used to wash near my bed but then got lazy, but I do believe that's the absolutely correct thing to do...

SIDE NOTE: I always dreamed of washing my baby's hands negel vasser until I had one... How do you do it without getting the kid sopping wet? I'd love to start!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:

why would the preist want to corrode away at the children's spirituality?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:01 pm
Negel Vaaser is because of Ruach Ra'ah. I remember we had a discussion in high school class and the teacher said that some say that like all Kochos Tumah, it's strength was diminished. That's why some are not as makpid as the Gemarrah says to be.

Also in terms of where to wash, he said it says to wash within Dalet Amos, but some says that includes your whole house, as one's house is considered one's dalet amos...hence those who don't wash at their bedside.

DH washes at his bed, but the girls and I wash in the bathroom.

And with all due respect, I take stories like that with a grain of salt. Source?

octopus

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:46 pm
Or ruach raah could mean bacteria.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:51 pm
Chayalle wrote:

And with all due respect, I take stories like that with a grain of salt. Source?

I take it with a grain of salt... I actually thought the story was going to be that negel vasser is so important that even a priest recognized it and insisted on it for the spiritual safety of the children he was caring for during WWII. I was kind of flabbergasted by the last sentence.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:

Oh because he wanted to raise Jewish children as Jews. He had no intentions of raising them for the church. He was innocent. LOL
I don't know if the story is true but the priests were not so committed to the parents' wishes.
When the askanim wanted to retrieve these children there were churches who said; we never took them in. We don't have them.

My father in law was raised in a Christian foster home during WWII. He was the only child not wearing a cross necklace, putting his own life in danger. They hated him for it. I don't know if He was right or wrong, the bottom line is, out of all the Jewish children hidden there, he was the only one to remain Jewish.

Neggel vaser is a halacha in Sh"U. There are poskim lkulo and lchumra. I was also raised very stringent but I got into the habit that my husband prepares it for me and if he forgets and I forget, then, I go to the sink in my room and wash.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:

I'm skeptical about the story but if it's true, the priest was hoping to dissolve the children's connection to Yiddishkeit, which would be the first step to getting them to accept Xianity. Oh, I don't doubt the priest's agenda; I question his belief in the power of soiled negelvasser. A priest who credits an obscure bit of Jewish folklore strains my willing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 8:17 pm
Since two comments were deleted, including mine, let me just say, as someone with lots of inside knowledge on the subject: xtians DO NOT BELIEVE any Jewish "stuff" at all. For them it's all superstitious nonsense.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 8:22 pm
Always have this question but only remember when it happens in middle of the night so never remember to ask. If I get up in middle of the night to use the bathroom do I wash netilas yadaim so I can say Asher yatzar? And if yes, do I also say al netilas yadaim?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:36 am
I don't think you make a bracha al netilas yadayim if it's before daybreak. You would need to wash your hands to say asher yatzar since they're presumed dirty since you were sleeping, but I don't think it requires the standard kli and netilas yadayim procedure.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 1:42 am
I was taught that you do have to wash negel vasser with a cup if you get up to go to the bathroom at night but do not say al netilas yadayim.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 4:50 am
We wash by the bed.

Some don't fill the cup from the bathroom sink.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:36 am
According to my rav, you only have to be worried about it when you're up for the day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions