Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me organize my table

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 10:59 pm
I live in a small house and we only have room for one table (it's in the dining room, right by the front door). It functions as: coloring/arts table for my kids, homework table, mail drop, work desk for both DH and I (both of us bring lots of papers home) and of course our eating table for all 3 meals.

It is ALWAYS. MESSY.

Since it's really the first thing you see when you walk in, it drives me crazy. I wracked my brains trying to think of ANYWHERE in the house we could put another table, desk, anything and there is really nowhere. The bedrooms are small and there's no space for any more furniture.

Any ideas to keep my table clean??

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:05 pm
The easiest one is the mail drop. Can you install on the wall something that holds magazine in doctors' offices?
The other ones are harder. If your kids are little perhaps they could use a small kid size table for their artwork.

imeinu

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:08 pm
do you have a little spare wall space? You can mount a fold-down desk in some spot to be used for homework, coloring, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Kings-B.....+desk

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:25 pm
imeinu wrote:
do you have a little spare wall space? You can mount a fold-down desk in some spot to be used for homework, coloring, etc.

That's actually really cool, love how you can store stuff in the cabinet part!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:27 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
The easiest one is the mail drop. Can you install on the wall something that holds magazine in doctors' offices?
The other ones are harder. If your kids are little perhaps they could use a small kid size table for their artwork.

I used to have something like that for mail and I just found we never got around to going through it after it was dumped... guess that's a different problem embarrassed

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
I used to have something like that for mail and I just found we never got around to going through it after it was dumped... guess that's a different problem embarrassed

The key to keeping mail contained is to do it every day. Trash the junk, if you save store flyers put them in a folder in the kitchen. Put bills into the bill folder etc.

Oh and those papers of you and your husbands get some lidded cubes. You each get one to put you stuff in so the table is cleared for meals.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:32 pm
We have a little tyke picnic table. Seats four. Great for kids crafts and kid meals.
Think height along walls. Can you set up a book case with shelves- one for mail, one for papers, one for crafts, etc?
Table should be limited to eating and actually working on paperwork (bills,etc). When done working on paperwork, return it to its shelf

pause

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:45 pm
Clear your table every single night. Nothing doing. The accumulation of things over the week is what makes it so difficult to contain. Put each thing back where it belongs (where it lies over Shabbas, for example).

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:59 pm
imeinu wrote:

Is there something like this that's strong enough for use with a heavy laptop.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:24 am
Get a small set of plastic drawers for A&C supplies. One drawer for markers, one for crayons, one for scissors and glue, etc. Hang a letter sorter on the wall and use one section for paper for the kids. Get one with hooks for important things.

A fold out desk could work only if you clear and stow it regularly. Another option is TV trays, that's a tray with flooding legs meant for Denver in front of the tv, but you can use it anywhere.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:12 am
My friend who had ten kids in a three bedroom apt gave each one of preschool age and up a folding snack tray table as a desk for projects, games and schoolwork. Between uses each one was folded and put away in its designated spot behind a door or other piece of furniture.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 9:29 am
imeinu wrote:

I second his idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics