Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Please help - scarf colors?
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 8:36 am
I am going to start trying my hand at silk painting.

My problem is that I don't really know what color combos are "in" these days. I just wear what looks good on me.

I know what the Pantone fashion forecast says, but I don't know what goes in frum circles.

If you could post what your circle is - Willy, PB, Lakewood, London, J'lem, Brussels, etc. and what colors are in right now, I would be extremely grateful!

I also want to know what you prefer, square or long rectangle.

I am NOT advertizing right now! This is just marketing and creativity research.

I am eventually going to be opening a local art gallery collective, to sell my scarves in person, probably at the next tourist season. Any info I can get now would help me immensely in building up stock that is trendy and relatable.

Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 8:42 am
Oops! I just realized I should have put this under "Sheitels and Tichels". I'm going to flag this so that it can get moved. embarrassed

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 8:42 am
I see bright colors.
But I like to get what looks great on me since it's by my face. So since my friends and neighbors are wearing scarves tied in a single knot by the neck and hang loose, I'd do that too. I've also seen that the scarves do not perfectly match the clothes. I'm not sure I would do that.
All I want are pretty colors. All I have now is a boring black. I do well in pink/red and blue/teal tones. Not pastels.

Does this help?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 8:45 am
Iymnok wrote:
Does this help?

Yes, it does! I realize that in many/most places, black is the base neutral. It helps to know what people are using for accent colors.

(I don't like the mismatched look, either. To me, it feels shlumpy, so that's why I want the scarves to coordinate with the clothes.)

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 9:07 am
But I don't see black scarves. That's just what I happen to have. That's why I don't wear it.
I do have some blue and beige plaid silk, I'm thinking if hemming it into a scarf. I'm just concerned about it slipping.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 9:18 am
sounds FUN & creative ~ good luck !!!

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 9:24 am
Wishing you lots of hatzlocha, be'H.
looks like you are a very creative artistic person ke'h and I'm sure your scarves will come out beautiful.

Smile Smile Smile Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 5:24 am
BUMP

Please look in your closets, and tell me what colors you own! Let me know how to make the best and most popular combos.

Years ago, brown and pink was very trendy. I don't know if people are doing that now. Burgundy and dark green used to be really popular, too.

Help me out!

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 5:44 am
Turquoise
Hot pink with a dark undertone
Royal blue
Grey
Bright peach
Bright orange

For winter:
Golds
Rust color red
Rust color yellow
Teal
Maroon

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 6:24 am
sneakermom wrote:
Turquoise
Hot pink with a dark undertone
Royal blue
Grey
Bright peach
Bright orange

For winter:
Golds
Rust color red
Rust color yellow
Teal
Maroon

Great start! Now, can you give me color combos? What color skirt with what top? Clothing that has a pattern on it, what colors are in there?

For example, I have a black skirt that has light and dark pink roses on it, with forest green leaves. A scarf that would coordinate with that would be great. That's why I want to make my own, because I don't want to layer 3 or more scarves to get a pulled together look.

If someone has a Shabbos/Yom Tov outfit, and wants something unique and special to match, I'd like to do custom dying, too. I just need to get an idea of what color dyes I need to order.

queenert

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:40 am
I do what looks good on me which are dark or jewel toned colors.
I would appreciate some basic colors like black, white, or grey. (Brown and cream look awful on me.) Though I suppose if I was looking for an artistic scarf it would have to be some sort of pattern on the base color. I could get basics for much cheaper than I'm assuming you'll sell yours for. So something that'll match a lot of things but still has character.
Oh, that's another thing. I'd also like some more basic patterns, like swirls or splotches, in addition to some intricate ones. That way I can match shirts that have their own pattern. I hate having two patterns.

Very cool idea; Hatzlacha! Don't forget to let us know when you start!

queenert

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:42 am
Btw, I think the frum stores all use the pantone colors.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:02 am
queenert wrote:
I do what looks good on me which are dark or jewel toned colors.
I would appreciate some basic colors like black, white, or grey. (Brown and cream look awful on me.) Though I suppose if I was looking for an artistic scarf it would have to be some sort of pattern on the base color. I could get basics for much cheaper than I'm assuming you'll sell yours for. So something that'll match a lot of things but still has character.
Oh, that's another thing. I'd also like some more basic patterns, like swirls or splotches, in addition to some intricate ones. That way I can match shirts that have their own pattern. I hate having two patterns.

Very cool idea; Hatzlacha! Don't forget to let us know when you start!

I really like this idea. One color, two tone abstracts. It adds enough life to compliment, but no risk of clashing or taking the stage.
If you'd have a splotchy, swirled or other abstract design in the jewel colors, I'd be tempted to buy one of each!
Since it's folded and wrapped, I'd rather not have detailed ir too intricate of designs. But I'm all for individuality and depth.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:50 pm
I'll be more specific. To start out and get the feel for things, I want to do a water color type of effect, with ombre colors that compliment each other. Think of shades that are soft and flowy, and they blend together at the edges.

I won't be doing anything in a specific design until I can find a supplier for the resist medium I need (it makes outlines so the colors don't run.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:08 pm
I like neck scarves (about 20/25"" squares). I'd love a black base with red painting (maybe the opposite), a bit of white in there, maybe other colors too that work together. I've been on the hunt for something to dress up plain black dresses that I wear with red flats in the weekday.
Nobody in the area where's these so I'm not sure that location would help.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:24 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'll be more specific. To start out and get the feel for things, I want to do a water color type of effect, with ombre colors that compliment each other. Think of shades that are soft and flowy, and they blend together at the edges.

I won't be doing anything in a specific design until I can find a supplier for the resist medium I need (it makes outlines so the colors don't run.)

Burgundy with pink, black, turquoise, cream

Navy with burgundy, white/cream, light blue, mustard, red, gray, green, sea green, orange

Forest green with black, white, light green, magenta, purple, gray, raspberry, orange

Purple with white, turquoise, mustard or yellow, lavender, navy, light green, red

Teal with white, black, purples, blues, mustard, orange

Complimentary and tertiary colors speak to me.

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 6:20 pm
I love this idea! I am also a artsy type and only wear tichels. Here are my general rules:

Tichels should match your skin tone and eye color and also not be totally our of the ballpark of style. So, there is going to have to be color families that look good on the most common combinations, and it is better if they are either cool toned, neutral, or warmed toned--but not mixed between those groups. Brown is out of style in my opinion, unless it is metallic, more like a copper. You also have to take into consideration the "frum" rules, meaning if no one would wear red, or no one would wear hot pink or neon green, don't make those. When I wear solids shirts or dresses, I wear patterned tichels, and when I am wearing patterned clothing I wear either a solid or monotoned tichel.

I have teal eyes and cool toned pale skin, but warmed toned freckles. I look great in grey, turquoise, teal, light pinks, pinky-purple, navy, all blues, some greens, and silver. I can pull off burgundy/gold/copper but only if I wear warmer toned bronzer. Black looks terrible on me, so I avoid that. My favorite tichels I currently own are: purple/pink/red/white flowers, burgundy/gold/turquoise ornate stripes, solid turquoise, purple/black pattern, navy/white polka dots, silver/grey ornate stripes, black/red/pink/yellow/turquoise random shapes

Here are some good colors for common skin tones:
cool toned/light eyes: grey/pink/pastel yellow, teal/silver/mauve, baby blue/cream/navy, ombray any of those colors.
tan skin/hazel eyes/warm undertones: gold/burgundy/emerald, green/cream/mustard, eggplant, burnt orange, sherbet orange
dark skin/dark eyes: hot pink/white, white/gold/topaz, lime green/royal purple, bright turquoise

Then there are colors that look good on almost everyone, which is a good for business: blush pink, teal, royal purple-eggplant (but too dark not good on pale skin), turquoise
so with these combos, I'd go with blush/teal/cream. eggplant/blush/hint of green, turquoise/teal, blush/hint of red

Something to consider--a lot of people are pickly about fabric, not just colors. So I only wear pashmina like material because I need a certain weight to the fabric to tie it the way I want. But I love the idea of painted silk! I wonder if there is a way to do a two layer one, with painted silk sewed onto a thicker fabric? If you do it, I'll definitely be giving you a call!

Hatzlacha, and even if you don't end up making a business of it, enjoy the creative outlet!

Boca00

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:55 pm
Just want to add I have such a hard time finding pretty square tichels! There's plenty of rectangle tichels available at non-Jewish stores tho they're so much harder to tie.
And dark navy tichels are impossible to find! Dark grey also...
I'd love to see what you are selling when you are ready!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 6:39 am
Wow, all of this is SO helpful! You ladies are great. Very Happy

Without the input from some of you, I wouldn't have even thought about square scarves, because I've always worn the rectangle ones. It just so happens that my supplier only had square ones ready to ship as samples, so that's what I'll be working with to start.

A Satmar friend of mine gave me a tutorial of how she ties her square scarves, so I have an idea of how to manage the color patterns and details. I wouldn't have realized that I need to dye on the diagonal without her help.

For the square scarf wearers, I have a few questions:

Tissue weight, or medium weight - which one wraps better for you?
Tied with tails dangling, or all tucked in?
If tails out, would you be interested in a bit of beadwork in the corners for added flair?

I really want to make these special, so that everyone you meet says "WOW, where did you get that?!"

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 6:46 am
I like tails out.
Light beading is fine, to big, heavy or loud would bother me. I can't say for sure since I've never tried it.
You may want to do a simple beading design on one corner as a sort of signature or branding.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels