Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Chapter books for boys

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:29 pm
Im looking for series similar to The magic tree house or The magic school bus. Any suggestions?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:18 pm
Those have a hint of magic to them. I can come up with a few on the same reading level that may or may not work:
A-Z Mysteries
The Littles
McBroom by Sid Fleischmann
Maybe Patricia Reilly Giff's books

If you go to the public library, you'll probably find quite a number of series; you can also ask the librarian for suggestions. At this age, the suggestions are almost inevitably going to be appropriate.

Jewish books:
Dr. Emmanuel J. Mitzvah by Yaffa Ganz (there are a few)
Menucha Fuchs series starting with Our Mitzvah Muscles. (She also has a really nice book that looks like a picture book but is on par reading-wise about an esrog, forgot what it's called.)
One-of-a-Kind Yanky by Pia Wolcowitz

I'm sure I'll come up with more within a few minutes of logging off ;-)

loveit

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:47 pm
Judaic a press has some great books, I can't remember the name of the series but I think it's by Menucha Fuchs and one of the titles is "the banana peel slip up and other stories" there's a handful of titles in the series and each book is really three different books, all broken down into short chapters with a few illustrations

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:48 pm
Ready Freddy
Geronimo Stilton
Junie b jones
Can jansen

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:17 pm
Encyclopedia Brown - a series where you need to figure out how the crime was solved, answers in the back, for 2nd grade and up

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:22 pm
My wierd school books, puppy place series, gemarakup is a Jewish version of encyclopedia brown...

Aylat

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:26 pm
Not sure which age your son/s are, but the ones below are all much loved by my 9 y.o DS (and also by my 11y.o DD).

Famous Five series
Secret Seven series
Harry Potter

A series called "X Adventure" about 2 teens who travel round the world collecting animals for zoos. Eg Lion Adventure, South Seas Adventure, Arctic Adventure, Underwater Adventure.

Anthony Horowitz books. He has books for teens and for primary school age. I vetted these first and didn't let my son read some of them, mainly because of vulgarity and negative attitudes towards eg the elderly.

Roald Dahl eg James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Twits, The Witches, BFG, Matilda, Danny the Champion of the World.

Also planning to introduce him to Just William books when I can get hold of them.

Enjoy!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:27 pm
loveit wrote:
Judaic a press has some great books, I can't remember the name of the series but I think it's by Menucha Fuchs and one of the titles is "the banana peel slip up and other stories" there's a handful of titles in the series and each book is really three different books, all broken down into short chapters with a few illustrations

That's the series I'm referring to.
And I second Geronimo Stilton.

Aylat

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:27 pm
In Jewish books: the Chaim Walder Kids Speak series is fantastic.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 7:12 pm
Cam Jensen. The Dov, Dov books, although they may be out of print. PJ Pepper Jay (2 in that series) The Amazing Adventures of Bentzi. Gemara Kup is the like Encyclepedia Brown. Menucha Fuchs had these paper backs, which were made in 3 in ones. They are great for new readers. Not to many choices of Jewish Chapter books, so any writers out there, please try to concentrate on this.

Menucha Publishers is starting to use a grading on their books. Newest book I have seen come out, is "Glixman in a Fix". which is leveled "Y" at 5th-6th grade reading level expectations.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 7:16 pm
Aylat wrote:
In Jewish books: the Chaim Walder Kids Speak series is fantastic.

Chaim Walder's Kids Speaks are true stories. Kids writing about things that happen to them, sometimes they are in scary situations. Not all parents want their children reading such stories. I would for sure, let parents read them first before letting their children read. The
series books by "Don Melech" "It's a Kids' World After All" has the similar type of stories.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 7:45 pm
Aylat wrote:
Not sure which age your son/s are, but the ones below are all much loved by my 9 y.o DS (and also by my 11y.o DD).

Famous Five series
Secret Seven series
Harry Potter

Curious if you are from England. My dd loves Enid Blyton, but we ordered several sets from England because we couldn't find them in the US.

monseymom25

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 9:33 pm
The boxcar children
Henry Huggins
Ali Baba Bernstein books by J. Hurwitz
Homer Price

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
Curious if you are from England. My dd loves Enid Blyton, but we ordered several sets from England because we couldn't find them in the US.

From UK originally, yep.

All my kids love Enid Blyton, starting with her books for younger kids (I'm reading the Faraway Tree series to my 6y.o at the moment) up to the ones I mentioned.

The books I listed are almost all the ones we grew up with as well. Smile

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:54 am
My son loves The Burksfield Bike Club series and 23 Under One Roof series.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
My son loves The Burksfield Bike Club series and 23 Under One Roof series.

Is he in second grade? Even the end? I might wait a few more months if I were OP.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:57 am
Thanks for all these suggestions! Yes, I am English and struggling without Enid Blyton!

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:59 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Is he in second grade? Even the end? I might wait a few more months if I were OP.

My second grader loves those series.

rowo

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:07 am
Amazing! Always looking for new books for my kids
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room