Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you answer the phone if you don't recognize the number?
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 2:58 pm
I feel like if I don't recognize the number it is often someone collecting who will relentlessly bombard me and simply not take no for an answer. I don't answer anymore if I don't recognize the number. If it's important they can leave a mssg.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 2:58 pm
nopes

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:06 pm
No

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:07 pm
No, I don't answer.
If a caller doesn't want to reveal his number, then I don't want to answer.
Only problem is that sometimes important companies (electric, telephone ...) and banks call with number blocked. Then they accuse us weeks later that we didn't answer the phone when they called.
And I respond, puzzled, "I didn't get any phone call from you."

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:08 pm
Not at home (evenings, Sundays).
On my cell phone I do during the day (when my kids are out at school and I'm at work).

icebreaker

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:09 pm
Nope. They can leave a message.

max

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:10 pm
Never at home only on my cell as it may pertain to elderly parent.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:19 pm
Always. My screen doesn't work so I never know who's calling.
A good answer for tzedaka organizations is to ask them for a bracha for parnossa so you could help them next year.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:28 pm
Yes

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:28 pm
I answer the phone even if I don't recognize the number.

If the caller turns out to be collecting charity / trying to sell me something, I don't give them a chance to not take no for an answer, I speak over them and say "sorry, we can't help" / "not interested" and hang up.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:30 pm
I typically answer my phone unless I'm not available. I'm fine with hanging up if it ends up being a telemarketer.

pause

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:39 pm
Only if I have extra time.

animeme

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:42 pm
Specifically so. I have unfortunately had a bunch of medical emergencies with my kids and parents. More often than not, the people calling me about that have numbers I've never seen. I do check the area code, though.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:44 pm
Iymnok wrote:
A good answer for tzedaka organizations is to ask them for a bracha for parnossa so you could help them next year.

Does this work for you? It sure doesn't work for me. They just start off with lets say, can I give $100. If I say no, they lower it to $50 and ultimately $18. But they don't take no for an answer.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 3:51 pm
Iymnok wrote:

that's exactly what I do, but sincerely, not sarcastically.
and I thank them also for wanting to give me the zchus of giving tzedakkah.
it isn't easy for the callers of the tzedakkah orgs. to make all those calls and get all the flak.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:22 pm
When my sons were in the army, always. I rarely get tzedaka calls from humans, and I don't feel bad hanging up on a robot.

agreer

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 7:22 pm
No. I feel that if someone really wants to talk to you, they will leave a message.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 7:33 pm
Usually not, but if I happen to pick up & it's a telemarketer, be their cause ever so valid, I immediately say, "I'm sorry, we do not donate to anyone via phone solicitation." I feel it's intrusive so I bedavka wouldn't give.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
Usually not, but if I happen to pick up & it's a telemarketer, be their cause ever so valid, I immediately say, "I'm sorry, we do not donate to anyone via phone solicitation." I feel it's intrusive so I bedavka wouldn't give.

Us too.
I have asked them for their website or to send me an email. If doing that, ask their name since they are sometimes paid on commission.

LisaS

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 11:21 pm
Of course I do. If after my initial "Hello" I see it's a solicitor I say no thank you and hang up. I would miss a lot of important calls if I only answered pre-screened numbers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics