Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Bean and rice recipe?

JenniferK

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:14 pm
I have never made it before. Can anyone help me out?

TIA

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:20 pm
Do you have raw or cooked beans? Do you want them to be mixed together or cooked separately?

JenniferK

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 4:05 pm
tichellady wrote:
Do you have raw or cooked beans? Do you want them to be mixed together or cooked separately?

I don't have anything yet.

I want to prepare them separately

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 4:14 pm
Cook up your rice. Cook up some red beans with sauteed pepper, onion and celery. Use hot peppers if that is your choice. Add some liquid smoke if you like or some smoked salt. Cook these beans uncovered adding water if needed until done. Some fofolks like their red beans to have a 'gravy' or a thickness, that will depend on how much liquid you leave in with the beans or you can cheat and add a bit of fine corn meal to thicken it. I always add a touch of cumin and some gumbo file.

JenniferK

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Cook up your rice. Cook up some red beans with sauteed pepper, onion and celery. Use hot peppers if that is your choice. Add some liquid smoke if you like or some smoked salt. Cook these beans uncovered adding water if needed until done. Some fofolks like their red beans to have a 'gravy' or a thickness, that will depend on how much liquid you leave in with the beans or you can cheat and add a bit of fine corn meal to thicken it. I always add a touch of cumin and some gumbo file.

Cook the beans in water first and then add it to the sautéed vegetables?

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:53 pm
JenniferK wrote:

If you are using cannedd beans, you don't need to cook them first.

When I cook dried beans, I soak them overnight and they take a long time to cook, and I would cook them in water first and then add to veggies

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:58 pm
Here's my non authentic recipe: I sprout or soak beans and then cook them in big batches and freeze. Start with cooked beans or canned ( rinsed very well). Make brown rice in rice cooker.
Sauté onion, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and 1/2/-1 chopped jalapeño. Add beans, some veggie broth, tomato sauce or paste or salsa and cook on low heat for about 20-30 minutes. Can add salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice to taste Serve with cilantro, avacado, cheese and brown rice.
You can add corn to the beans and use pinto, black bean, or a mix of beans. Hope this helps

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:38 am
JenniferK wrote:

No those aromatics go into the beans.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics