Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Connecticut

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 7:54 pm
I wamt to do a beach day in a new place. Wheres the closest beach in Connecticut?
I'm looking on Google maps and its telling me Bridgeport is closest to New York.
Is there a regular beach there?
How are the other cities there? Newport etc.

Yocheved_G

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 5:01 pm
Hammonasset State Park
Madison, CT 06443

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:38 pm
Compo Beach in Westport is not too far from NY. If you don't mind crowds dressed for summer beaches.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:47 pm
Any ideas for activities? Husband wants to go fishing is that by mystic seaport? Any ideas for hotels, money saving tips, and enjoyable activities? Thanks all

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:56 pm
OK, fishing.

You can choose an ocean beach, or a pond, lake or river. Does he prefer freshwater fishing, or ocean fishing? Pier, or boat?

And what kind of accommodations would you like best? There's everything from tent camping to luxury hotels. What might you enjoy?

Ditto for other activities you like. Museums? Nature trails? Adventure, or relaxation? Rustic, or city?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 10:46 pm
imasinger wrote:
OK, fishing.

You can choose an ocean beach, or a pond, lake or river. Does he prefer freshwater fishing, or ocean fishing? Pier, or boat?

And what kind of accommodations would you like best? There's everything from tent camping to luxury hotels. What might you enjoy?

Ditto for other activities you like. Museums? Nature trails? Adventure, or relaxation? Rustic, or city?

Husband wants to go sea bass and tuna fishing
Want a hotel, doesn't need to be luxury hotel.
Don't want to go camping don't have the equipment and not so much my husband's speed.
Would love nature trail, as well as adventures and relaxing back and forth so a good mixture of both. Kids friendly museum would be great. Have an almost 4 year old and 20 month old toddler. Planning on going for around a week. If there is a Jewish place/hotel shul we would love to spend shabbos there as well.

Open to suggestions for other destinations driving distance 3-4 hours from Brooklyn that have sea bass and tuna fishing and kid friendly activities as well as nature
Thank you for taking the time!

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:20 pm
Yocheved_G wrote:
Hammonasset State Park
Madison, CT 06443

Thanks! This looks nice but also a bit too overcrowded. Are there places that are less loaded?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:24 pm
imasinger wrote:
Compo Beach in Westport is not too far from NY. If you don't mind crowds dressed for summer beaches.

not far at all! I see East Chester is even closer. Do you know anything about it?
In general Where in Connecticut will I most likely find kosher food?
I know I seem fickle but it's because I'm trying to figure out something new and I don't know my way around in Connecticut at all.
Thanks

ProudMommy3

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:26 am
There's a big community in Stamford w/ kosher amenities. There's also waterbury, but that's further north (I.e. further from NY).

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:03 am
I think Stamford might be a good bet. Here's a site I googled that offers fishing.

http://www.lisoundfishing.com/.....g.php

You can Google for activities nearby, including the children's museum in Norwalk and lots of nearby nature walks. Whenever you are planning a trip, it's a good idea to contact shul in the area, to ask about eating and maybe Shabbos hospitality.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:14 am
Waterbury doesn't appear to have a beach.
Where in Stamford is there a kosher place? Thank you.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:42 am
The Stamford community is mostly MO; the one yeshiva relatively recently relocated to Monsey, which is not far away.

Food. There is one restaurant -- Six Thirteen -- supervised by the OU, a sushi place -- Soosh -- supervised by kaf K, and an Indian vegetarian place supervised by the local (Fairfield) vaad. There are several bakeries with varying hechsherim, and options in packages in some grocery stores.

If the amenities of a Jewish community (lots of kosher choices and minyanim) are important to you, would you want to base your vacation in Monsey but take day trips to CT?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:48 am
I am from Monsey LOL
I'd like to do an overnight or two in Stamford in a hotel preferably close to the beach and have an option of kosher food.
Are there any specific attractions you'd reccomend? (except for meeting imasinger, that is LOL )

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:13 am
Lol! I grew up in the area, but don't live there now.

Stepping Stones in Norwalk is a great children's museum. There is an aquarium there, too.

Stamford Nature Center is nice. http://www.stamfordmuseum.org/

Hotels, I'd see what's cheapest that fits with your style. Maybe look at TripAdvisor.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:35 am
Ok thank you so much!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:22 pm
Anyone find out about staying for shabbos? Is there a hotel with kosher accommodation or the chabad has a setup?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:41 pm
Anyone find out about staying for shabbos? Is there a hotel with kosher accommodation or the chabad has a setup?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:47 pm
Definitely not cheap but the crowne plaza in stamford has a kosher kitchen so many times when organizations or caterers want to organize a retreat they will do it there - maybe call and ask if there is a Jewish group the week you are looking at

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:24 am
Bumping:
Looking for a nice hotel in Connecticut for weekday family vacation. Anyone have recommendations?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics