Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
3 week old doesn't fall asleep on his own
1  2  Next

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:33 am
My 3 week old baby doesn't really fall asleep on his own. He needs to be rocked, laid next to, or placed on his tummy until he falls asleep and then switched to his back.
Now I don't mind, because I'm not working, but when I go back to work I'll need him to be a little more cooperative...
Any tips?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:36 am
Normal. To be expected.

Babies 2x, 4x his age often need to rocked to sleep

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:38 am
He's 3 weeks old!!! Give him time!

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:38 am
pesek zman wrote:
Normal. To be expected.

Babies 2x, 4x his age often need to rocked to sleep

If I rock him, will that be getting him accustomed to it, and then we'll never break out of the habit?

WastingTime

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:39 am
thought this was a typo and you meant 3 yr old!
I think you're expectations are a bit high. He should learn to fall asleep on his own but 3 weeks is quite young

perquacky

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:41 am
Please give it time. Three weeks is so young.
I'm a bit concerned that you're putting him on his stomach to fall asleep. Has your pediatrician okayed that?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:00 am
perquacky wrote:
Please give it time. Three weeks is so young.
I'm a bit concerned that you're putting him on his stomach to fall asleep. Has your pediatrician okayed that?

No, but at 3 am when he wont fall asleep any other way, I let him fall asleep on his tummy and then turn him over as soon as he's sleeping. I'm just too tired to figure out any other solutions.
If I'm watching him, I feel safe doing that.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:03 am
I'm going to disagree with everyone here. My baby is also 3 weeks... If you're baby is clean, not hungry or overstuffed he should be peaceful and lying quietly in bed ( I'm talking general. Every baby will have the once or twice a day that they're unsettled).
If you're baby only falls asleep when on the stomach then it may signify stomachache...
Good luck

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
I'm going to disagree with everyone here. My baby is also 3 weeks... If you're baby is clean, not hungry or overstuffed he should be peaceful and lying quietly in bed ( I'm talking general. Every baby will have the once or twice a day that they're unsettled).
If you're baby only falls asleep when on the stomach then it may signify stomachache...
Good luck

I think he does have a stomach ache. I give him gripe water once a day, doesn't help that much. His stomache ache doesn't seem to be extremely painful, he just can't fall asleep nicely on his back. Once he does fall asleep, he usually stays asleep.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
Good luck

"should be" may be a bit of a strong statement, but may Hashem continue to give you easy babies!

rgr

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:14 am
Don't worry about forming sleep associations until AT LEAST 6 weeks.

BatZion

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:29 am
oh gosh.

dear OP. your baby is very very very little. and deserves to be rocked to sleep. in my humble opinion.

but then I am a nutter who sleeps with her babies (safely) because I can't stand the thought that they go from inside my warm, soothing, safe womb to all alone in their crib.

nuttiness aside, please let's remember that our babies are not machines to be "trained". they are very little human beings who need, for the first year of their lives, little more than love, care and food. I truly believe that it is beneficial for babies to be as close to their parents as possible for as long as possible. Hold your baby! Rock him! Make him feel oh so safe!

Right then I think it's time to go isn't it.

iyar

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:31 am
3 week old?
I read that a few times. I was sure my reading comprehension needs work.
Please feel free to rock and cuddle your three week old baby.
Amother Amethyst seems to be blessed with calm little angels. Some little angels aren't as mild mannered and can't let us know exactly why at that age. A three week old doesn't have much of a memory yet so you don't have to be worried about spoiling him.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:35 am
I just remember reading, with my older son (now age 3)- who had terrible sleep habits- that I should have gotten him used to falling asleep on his own in the crib,not rocking him etc until he fell asleep.
So I was wondering when to start that.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:01 pm
Many babies sleep better on their stomachs. I'm not sure why this wouldn't count as falling asleep on their own. Tummy sleeping used to be the recommended position.

It sounds like you are extra careful because you flip him after. I agree that only nursing or rocking a baby to sleep may form bad habits but not at 3 weeks.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:09 pm
Have you tried swaddling him? Many babies sleep better swaddled on their side.

agreer

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:27 pm
According to baby 411, anything goes till 2 months... babies are so unaware till then. He will not develop a habit if you keep holding him to sleep.

Swaddling is a great idea. Try the batwing swaddle if he breaks out of regular one.

iyar

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 4:56 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Have you tried swaddling him? Many babies sleep better swaddled on their side.

Please don't swaddle baby and then put him to sleep on his side.
Not safe at three weeks

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:05 pm
iyar wrote:
Not safe at three weeks
Why ever not?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:41 pm
iyar wrote:
Not safe at three weeks

A baby doesn't need to be flat on his back. The side is perfectly safe. I lean my swaddled baby against the side of the crib to give a supported side position.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics