Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone else hate Thursdays?
1  2  Next

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 5:31 pm
I hate Thursdays I don't have enough head space or energy by the end of the week to shop for shabbos, make dinner, make lunch for Friday, make shabbos and work. So I tried not making dinner and lunch, I tried making simpler Shabboses, I tried leaving work earlier, I have cleaning help now. No matter what I try I end up stressed and frustrated on Thursday. It's almost as if nothing even makes a difference. Can anyone relate?
At least I love Fridays.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 5:48 pm
tichellady wrote:
I hate Thursdays I don't have enough head space or energy by the end of the week to shop for shabbos, make dinner, make lunch for Friday, make shabbos and work. So I tried not making dinner and lunch, I tried making simpler Shabboses, I tried leaving work earlier, I have cleaning help now. No matter what I try I end up stressed and frustrated on Thursday. It's almost as if nothing even makes a difference. Can anyone relate?
At least I love Fridays.

You need to rethink some things and figure out what your priorities should be. I shop for groceries on Sunday and produce on Wednesday. my produce may not be fresh from the farm but it means I don't have to first shop before I can cook. I usually cook one or two things earlier in the week and freeze them. my food isn't fresh off the stove but I don't have to face cooking for a whole Shabbos at once. I serve potluck on Thursday night which is a fancy way of saying whatever's in the fridge. Making lunch for Friday means toasting acouple of slices of bread, filling a reusable beverage container, throwing a container of yogurt or slice of cheese or couple of sardines and a fruit into a bag and putting it in the fridge. That happens to be how I make lunch the rest of the week too. If I'm really wiped Thursday night I'll do some cleaning chores Friday morning before work.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:01 pm
Yes I can relate. Although my issue is different. I'm having a hard time orienting myself. Like right now. explain to me what's a Jewish mom of ___ kids doing on ima at 6:01 pm, on a Thursday????
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

octopus

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:57 pm
And I hate Sundays. I don't know why. It's just an awful day for us.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:12 pm
octopus wrote:

Me too. No schedule but still tied down so the day seems endless.

I don't usually prep for shabbos until Friday or late Thursday night, so Thursday itself is just a regular day for me.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:37 pm
octopus wrote:

I HATE HATE SUNDAY!!! Awful day is a understatement. I'm so tired from shabbos, house is a mess, piled up dirt and clean laundry, and everybody is grumpy. Twisted Evil

At least it comes to a end every week. Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:52 pm
Do you have a freezer?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 9:18 pm
I go grocery shopping on Wednesdays for the week
Cook on Thursday nights
Everything is finished Thursday night, even salads.
If salad needs to be mixed fresh, everything is prepped before hand in Seperate containers, even the dressing, so all that needs to be done is mixed at the last minute.
I also make a huge batch of Mac n cheese and scrambled eggs, which serves for dinner, and lunch Friday.
Cleaning lady comes Monday and Friday, 8 hrs each day.
Sunday I do the bear minimum to have a running household, and kids are able to go to school/camp with clean clothes.
Everything else is left for cleaning lady on Monday.
This way I enjoy Sundays.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:02 pm
I totally relate. I crash almost every Thursday just from feeling overwhelmed. And I can't for the life of me figure out how people make supper for Thursday night if they're also cooking for Shabbos.

rosebunch

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:19 pm
I think organization is key!
I run a very busy life bh, but my week is scheduled!
I shop groceries/produce on Wednesday, start cooking for Shabbos Wednesday evening, continue cooking Thursday afternoon after work. I cook lots of extra which gets eaten Thursday night for dinner and Sunday dinner. I do cook a variety so Thursday night, Shabbos, and Sunday meals are entirely different. ( different chicken, salad, sides). I will also double or triple kugel and pie recipes so I'm only actually making it once in every few weeks.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
I go grocery shopping on Wednesdays for the week
Cook on Thursday nights
Everything is finished Thursday night, even salads.

What time do you start cooking on Thursdays and about how long does it take? I would love to do everything on Thursday but if I don't sleep my Friday would be miserable.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:58 pm
Some people serve the chicken from the soup on Thursday night. Just make a pot of rice & give e/o soup with rice, chicken & carrots.

S/o else I know boils eggs for Shabbos day & pulls out a few for soft boiled eggs on toast Thursday night.

The pizza shops where I live are VERY busy Thursday night. But really, what's wrong with tuna sandwiches and maybe soup from a mix?

I used to use my freezer a lot.

Another idea is to make kugels in muffin pans. Then you can pull out exactly how many servings you need each week, even two varieties. So one week (early in the week) you make potato, one week lokshen, one week zucchini etc.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:15 am
I don't actually want advice but thanks for it. I know there are ways to make things easier I just find that no matter what Thursday ends up my most stressful day of the week. I'm not even making shabbos this week and I'm super busy tonight. It's just bizarre. I think I'm also learning that working + having the bulk of household responsibilities is not so realistic for me. I'm just not super efficient and I require too much sleep to actually get everything done at my speed . We might need to get more cleaning help or takeout because my husband's work hours are not likely to become shorter

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:49 am
These tips are great! Thanks!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 4:58 am
Yes!!! If I get started on cooking the house is a tip. If I don't cook friday will be crazy.

I do try and do easy suppers...leftovers from other nights, or schnitzle (and I make extra for shabbos), sausages, etc.

I try and shop on wednesday too but it doesn't always happen.

But I don't get why it is so hectic for you if you aren't making shabbos?

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:07 am
I can totally relate to those who hate the end of the week mad rush prep for Shabbos.

I don't work well under pressure - pressure doesn't push me on, it freezes me.

And I hated Erev Shabbos, until, I joined the ..... CHATZOS GROUP

Can u believe there are actually lots of women around the world who are TOTALLY ready for Shabbos by Friday late morning?! By the time of Friday chatzos.

And those who aren't ready for Shabbos by Friday chatzos, so they are ready an hour or two later ....

Imagine Shabbos preps. done without the mad yelling rush!!!!

Imagine your switch from hating Shabbos preps and all it entails, to loving Shabbos and it's preps. and actually looking forward to prepare for Shabbos.

And just imagine having a few hours on Friday to take a nap or go visiting or do what u want,
calm with the knowlwdge that your Shabbos preps. are complete, even in the short winter Fridays!!!

No, I an not in fantasy land now. I'm not making this up. This is not a far-fetched impossible dream, because ... I actually live it, ever since I had the luck to join the Chatzos email group.

It is a most wonderful group that started off with a few women and now ke'h has a membership of almost 900 women!!!

No, it is NOT a fanatic group of Jewish-chassidic -ultra-orthodox-extremists.

The chatzos group was founded several years ago by Azriela Jaffe - a Jewish Orthodox woman formerly a BT.
A wonderful, wise, beloved, woman, who lives in NJ.
She moderates the group.

The group members are as diverse as those on Imamother, ranging from converts to Judaism, BT, chassidic, litvish, yeshivish, ultra-orthodox, MO, orthodox, traditional, Ashkenazi, Sefardi, ... in short from all parts of Klal Yisrael.
Newly-weds, young Mommies with little children, Mommies with small familes, large families, young children and teens. Mommies who have young kids and are at the stage of marrying off kids. Young grannies.... older grannies...
Working women full time/part time. Stay at home Moms.
Everyone is welcome.

In addition to moderating the chatzos group, Azriela ia also a Professor in English and teaches teenage boys, public speaking, at (I think) YU.
She is also a prolific author and has written over 20 books.
She and her husband also own a store in NJ, I don't remember it's exact name - EDISON SHIPPING ..... something like that.

If you are interested in be'H having a more peaceful Erev Shabbos, esp. Thursdays/Fridays and a more peaceful life, you can google Azriela Jaffe to find out more about her and the
chatzos group, or email her at chatzoslady@gmail.com.

I can say, my Erev Shabbosim and my whole lifestyle changed for the better, b'H, after joining this group.

And I thank Hashem immensely for leading me to the chatzos group.

Good luck!!!

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:24 am
My cleaning lady comes Thursday so Thursday night supper is either something in the crockpot that I put up before she comes and sits in the corner and cooks all day, or cold cut sandwiches (no prep and limited mess).

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:02 am
tichellady wrote:
At least I love Fridays.

I prepare the shopping list and menu on Tuesday, do the shopping and unpacking Wednesday. Otherwise it becomes too much for one day.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:11 am
I love Sundays, everyone is home.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I can totally relate to those who hate the end of the week mad rush prep for Shabbos.

I don't work well under pressure - pressure doesn't push me on, it freezes me.

And I hated Erev Shabbos, until, I joined the ..... CHATZOS GROUP

Can u believe there are actually lots of women around the world who are TOTALLY ready for Shabbos by Friday late morning?! By the time of Friday chatzos.

And those who aren't ready for Shabbos by Friday chatzos, so they are ready an hour or two later ....

Imagine Shabbos preps. done without the mad yelling rush!!!!

Imagine your switch from hating Shabbos preps and all it entails, to loving Shabbos and it's preps. and actually looking forward to prepare for Shabbos.

And just imagine having a few hours on Friday to take a nap or go visiting or do what u want,
calm with the knowlwdge that your Shabbos preps. are complete, even in the short winter Fridays!!!

No, I an not in fantasy land now. I'm not making this up. This is not a far-fetched impossible dream, because ... I actually live it, ever since I had the luck to join the Chatzos email group.

It is a most wonderful group that started off with a few women and now ke'h has a membership of almost 900 women!!!

No, it is NOT a fanatic group of Jewish-chassidic -ultra-orthodox-extremists.

The chatzos group was founded several years ago by Azriela Jaffe - a Jewish Orthodox woman formerly a BT.
A wonderful, wise, beloved, woman, who lives in NJ.
She moderates the group.

The group members are as diverse as those on Imamother, ranging from converts to Judaism, BT, chassidic, litvish, yeshivish, ultra-orthodox, MO, orthodox, traditional, Ashkenazi, Sefardi, ... in short from all parts of Klal Yisrael.
Newly-weds, young Mommies with little children, Mommies with small familes, large families, young children and teens. Mommies who have young kids and are at the stage of marrying off kids. Young grannies.... older grannies...
Working women full time/part time. Stay at home Moms.
Everyone is welcome.

In addition to moderating the chatzos group, Azriela ia also a Professor in English and teaches teenage boys, public speaking, at (I think) YU.
She is also a prolific author and has written over 20 books.
She and her husband also own a store in NJ, I don't remember it's exact name - EDISON SHIPPING ..... something like that.

If you are interested in be'H having a more peaceful Erev Shabbos, esp. Thursdays/Fridays and a more peaceful life, you can google Azriela Jaffe to find out more about her and the
chatzos group, or email her at chatzoslady@gmail.com.

I can say, my Erev Shabbosim and my whole lifestyle changed for the better, b'H, after joining this group.

And I thank Hashem immensely for leading me to the chatzos group.

Good luck!!!

Sounds great! I am actually ready for shabbos by Thursday night because I work on Friday and exercise after work. I think I would be happier if I could spread things out between Thursday and Friday.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics