Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How does anyone afford daycamp??
1  2  Next

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 5:57 pm
Even with early bird specials for multiple children it's still a fortune , and what do u do if u can't

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 5:59 pm
you don't send them?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:00 pm
is not sending an option or do you work?
I'm pretty sure our local camp gives scholarships but I've never applied so I can't tell you first hand. I don't know about other camps

CDL

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Even with early bird specials for multiple children it's still a fortune , and what do u do if u can't

I don't pay tuition in July or august. So however I was able to afford tuition in June, I continue in the summer. I also send to backyard day camps, so they are pretty cheap (relatively speaking)

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:10 pm
I don't send my kids to day camp. I feel bad because they really want to go but we try to do fun things with them and take them out as much as possible.

cm

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:10 pm
If you don't work in the summer, maybe you could work for the camp, whether in the office or with the kids.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:

Isn't the cost of camp similar to tuituon?

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:32 pm
I work 12 months a year. Daycamp is similiar price to tuition. 10 months a yr I pay tuition 2 months day camp. Im going to guess that u work in school system and are off and not paid in the summer. Maybe get a summer job so ull have the money to afford camp.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:33 pm
It's expensive but I work and I suck it up and pay. For my dd camp Is almost double what her school costs. (350 per month school. 550 per month summer)
Edited to add. There are cheaper camps but for various reasons my kids ended up in this one which is middle of the road. Bot considered cheap or expensive.

cm

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Isn't the cost of camp similar to tuituon?

Not the OP, but IME camp is more. I work year-round, and take home very little in the summer after paying for camp, but without camp I wouldn't be able to hold down a job.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:
It's expensive but I work and I suck it up and pay. For my dd camp Is almost double what her school costs. (350 per month school. 550 per month summer)
Edited to add. There are cheaper camps but for various reasons my kids ended up in this one which is middle of the road. Bot considered cheap or expensive.

Wow, those are good prices, both school & camp! I pay more than double for school per kid (after a big scholarship) & after paying that for summer I can't afford - it's about $250 per week. What location are you in?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:09 pm
Our tuition is paid quarterly so we're basically paying all year (plus camp)

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:01 pm
I have a feeling I'll be doing Mommy Camp lol

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 4:34 am
Yeah I work in the schooo system . So I had a job in a camp but it didn't work out . But when people hear their not going to camp their like why not? Doesn't it occur to some people it costs money?? And for me it's a lot more than tuition

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:04 am
First, big hugs to everyone and I will not link this to the notorious camp thread Twisted Evil
I was able to send my older kids to backyard camps in July too; now there are none available for older than preschool till August. I didn't send my kids every week but throughout the summer. I also ran camp Mommy; this was in the halcyon days of the summer library programs where we could go to quality programs and classic movies a few days a week. We also would get some memberships and go to museums and/or zoos, and do other activities - fairs, outdoor or indoor concerts, there was just stuff to do.

Obviously I wasn't working in the summer. And like others said, we used the money we would have used on tuition.

When I had a critical mass of kids in the school camp, I was able to work in the camp/barter services for a hefty scholarship.

Anyway, those are my secrets.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:20 am
If you live in NYC, please remember, next year, to enter the lottery for NYC Parks Camp, which is $500 for the summer. And look into other free or low cost camps, like the Brooklyn Childrens Museum Camp. See, e.g., https://mommypoppins.com/ny-ki.....camps And if you're worried about your kid being the only frum one there .... get your friends to register as well!

Outside of NYC, most places run inexpensive camps as well.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:28 am
As of now only my oldest goes to camp for a full day full summer. He needs the structure the most. They have scholarships available and they let me pay in installments. My middle I choose a cheap back yard camp for 5 weeks because I want to get him used to being in a group with other kids and following instructions before he starts playgroup in September. I have no idea if I will send him next year or not.

Optione

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:32 am
I work a small side job during the year. That money goes into the savings account labeled "camp". When it's time to pay for camp, I take the money out.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:35 am
That's so expensive.
In my area, I pay 50 euro per week. I give leftovers. Gan Isral is 80-120 euros hot lunch included. There are holiday vouchers for camps that are official like GI. Of course public camps are free and in some area many Jews but that's not my choice.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:43 am
I live OOT and send my preschooler to a Chabad camp. $1140 for 6 weeks, lunch included, 9am to 4pm. We also have to pay for babysitting before and after camp each day, plus pay or otherwise arrange for childcare during the 3-4 weeks of summer when camp is not in session.

I have a toddler in year-round daycare also.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers