Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Smell from front loading washer

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:30 pm
We've probably all heard that you need to keep the door open when machine is not in use. My laundry room is such that the door really gets in the way. However, I've figured out that a piece of masking tape will hold the door partly closed but give some air. (That's why I'm anon- e/o who knows me knows about this!)

Well, so far there's still a smell, I guess I have to run it w/ bleach or s/t. But tonight DH said he thinks the smell from the machine smells like a sewer, & maybe the plumber who did the installation didn't properly close it from having smells come up from the drain pipe.

Can anyone comment on this?

reality mom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 1:16 am
Do you have a drain in your laundry room floor ? If so, then the smell is most likely coming from there. Pour in a cup of water and the smell will disappear.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 1:32 am
Do you have a filter? My front loader has a filter that needs to be cleaned monthly. When I dont clean it it def. smells like sewer. And you can run a tub clean cycle with afresh to was out the machine.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 9:59 am
Run a full cup of baking soda or Oxyclean through the machine, on HOT.

If that doesn't fix it, definitely call a plumber to check for problems in the drain and the lines.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:30 pm
Thank, I will look into those ideas. I'll have to see if I can find the filter (or the instruction manual ; )
No, there's no drain.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:15 pm
Run a tub rise cycle (they take long) with Affresh. Then run a second tub rinse cycle with more Affresh.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....eaner
Once you get the washer to smell fresh, you may want to use a lasso to help keep the door of the machine open without taking up space.
https://www.amazon.com/Laundry.....LEDZE

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 9:47 pm
My washer is behind a door in a hallway. I can't keep the door open to allow the front loader to air out as then we can't get around it. Any ideas?
I tried a baking soda and vinegar rinse but that didn't really help.

Teomima

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
My washer is behind a door in a hallway. I can't keep the door open to allow the front loader to air out as then we can't get around it. Any ideas?
I tried a baking soda and vinegar rinse but that didn't really help.

I really don't know how you could possibly expect no smell from a machine not allowed to air out. Perhaps at the very least leave it open overnight? Then a blocked hallway shouldn't matter.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 2:56 am
I was wondering if there ought to be a device to hold it slightly open. $15? No thanks, I think I'll just use a piece of masking tape. You don't have to leave it open all the way, this keeps it about an inch open & the smell is almost gone, though I guess I'll try baking soda or something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry