Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Summer Shabbosim are the worst
Previous  1  2

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 3:26 pm
Are your kids into lego? My DH did a Shavuot text study for kids and parents where you learn a text and then build a lego based on that text. Seems you could do that for the parsha. The kids really loved it and it it could keep them occupied for a while.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 3:53 pm
are there really no parks in your area?
or do you not hold by the eruv?

going outside would help you alot- even if its just for a walk around the corner!

that must be really hard to not have any friends around you

DVOM

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
Are your kids into lego? My DH did a Shavuot text study for kids and parents where you learn a text and then build a lego based on that text. Seems you could do that for the parsha. The kids really loved it and it it could keep them occupied for a while.

This sounds like such a great idea! If your comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear more about this. My boys love lego!

DVOM

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 5:32 pm
OP, are there any people who live within a four-block radius who might be potential Shabbos company? Obviously, a likeminded couple with kids would be nice, but it doesn't sound like you've got that. What about a 'bubby' that you could adopt? We had a bunch of single guys living by us for a time. We used to invite them over for 'oneg Shabbos', and my little boys loved it. Lots of loud roughhousing and ninja fights. Great fun, and it broke up the day for us.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:29 pm
DVOM wrote:
This sounds like such a great idea! If your comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear more about this. My boys love lego!

He put together a source sheet with I think 8-10 Shavuot- related texts which the child and adult would learn in chevruta, and then each text had a "lego challenge" to follow. So it got the kids engaged in looking deeply and thinking about the text, story or idea. He did this for a Shavuot program called "Tikun Lego Shavuot". He got such a great response that he is going to post the source sheet online - he just needs to check if he needs permission from the Lego company.

He also plans to develop more for parshat hashavua.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:54 pm
I don't know the status of OP's spectrum child, but sometimes a mother of a spectrum kid cannot take the kids out without another adult. A 4 year old spectrum kid plus a two year old outside with one parent can easily equal tragedy. I stayed inside for several years straight with this combo.

Even with another adult, with just me and my spectrum kid, I was miserable more often than not. You can't strike up a conversation with another mother- I had to be within arms reach if him at all time. It was a lomely existance, and long Shabboses were horrible.

My best advice is Shabbos toys. It may not buy you that mich time, but having something special for that day tends to extend thwthe time the kids use it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note