Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
"Mommy Camp" Support Thread
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 8:57 pm
Anyone else out there have kids at home that need to entertain/keep occupied for the next 9 weeks until school starts? Only 1 week went by & I somehow managed, but am really dreading the coming weeks. How can I make it fun for the kids & enjoy along with them? How can I make things easier for all of us?

I'm having a hard time handling everything - all the regular things I need to do (supper, laundry, shopping) + planning some trips + handling the extra noise & fighting that comes with the older ones being home. I don't have cleaning help or babysitters. The oldest is 10 & youngest almost 1.

Can we use this thread to give each other ideas of things that work for you/are going well/days that you were able to hold your own & what you think helped, etc to give chizzuk to the rest of us out here?

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:09 pm
I'm in!
One thing that is working well is a star chart. Davening is 3 stars, brushing teeth, basically anything they do without kvetching gets at least a star. It's a 15x15 chart, and every 3 lines is worth another dollar to spend at 5below. We plan on going every other Thursday. Chart starts from the beginning the day after.
They *ask* me to do kriah etc. so they can earn starts. That was week one, I will keep you posted.
Also, I hung up a poster sizes calendar of activities we are going to do so they know stuff will happen.

lattemom

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:33 pm
I'm in... tomorrow will be day one so have no idea how this will go. Feeling quite nervous though as I'm already feeling very overwhelmed. I tried to do a lot of prep beforehand so both I and the kids know what to expect.

I made a daily schedule including morning and evening chores and daily activities. I also plan on this weekly schedule : museum Mondays, trip to the library Tuesday's, wet Wednesdays, Thoughtful Thursdays (think of a question and take a trip to find the answer) and Friend Fridays. I also gathered a big plastic bin of independent activities like activity books, pipe cleaners, water paints, etc.

Hope this thread continues...I know I'll need it Smile

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:36 pm
We made camp shirts for trips and I put my number on the back. Made bowling that much more exciting. Look on Pinterest for differe t t-shirt decorating ideas for your kids ages.
Look on Groupon for deals for places near you.
Sprinkler parks. Free and fun.
Check your library's schedule for activities.

loveit

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:41 pm
Definitely make a schedule of daily activities(getting dressed making beds davening kriah etc) so they know what's expected and then put in a window of time that you'll take them out each day for a small activity like swimming, library, pet store, slurpees. Even grocery shopping is an activity for the day and I usually get them a treat so they aren't annoyed by it.

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 11:21 pm
Spend a couple of hundred dollars (if you can) and get a few memberships to places so you can go again and again...and again. Wink The local science center, zoo etc

We also belong to a local community center type of place and the indoor pool is free with membership. Everyone non frum goes to the (expensive) outdoor one so we're basically by ourselves indoors. Which is great for tsnius, my kids get the slides to themselves, it's not crazy hot etc

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 11:56 pm
My kids are in camp for the summer as I have my regular work schedule but I just wanted to pipe in and say I really admire moms who make it through the summer and have time with their kids home. I hope this thread provides support and ideas!

cinnamon

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 7:57 am
I'm in!
I extended my maternity leave to last over the summer which is amazing but also means no daycamp for the kids so I'm home with five kids ages 10, 8, 6.5, 4.5 and five months.
My older two can sometimes go hang out at dh's job which is a lot of help.

I have a rugh schedule for the day:
Get up, dressed, Daven.
Breakfast
Cleanup + some chores
Work sheets
Pool for the girls while my eight year old boy goes to Abba.
Snack
Pool for eight yearold while the rest have down time (read books, card games, puzzles)
Lunch
Bubbles, playdough, coloring books, nush
Clean up
Go out to the playground
Supper is at seven
By eight thirty the two little one should be in bed and the baby should be after his bath.
I'll nurse and put him to sleep while the big ones shower and get ready
By nine the two big ones should be reading in bed.
I'm aiming for no more than 40 to 60 minutes of screentime throughout the day.
Wish me luck!

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:28 am
I'm not doing it now, but my best advice is to get out of the house for a chunk of time every day. It means less mess and kids don't get stir crazy.

Also, relax your standards and enjoy your summer. If you have grocery delivery available, use it!

Your older kids are also old enough to understand that if they pitch in, you can do more with them. Ask them what they want to do. If their ideas are feasible but hard on time, ask them if they would pitch in more so you can go.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:58 am
cinnamon wrote:
I'm in!
I extended my maternity leave to last over the summer which is amazing but also means no daycamp for the kids so I'm home with five kids ages 10, 8, 6.5, 4.5 and five months.
My older two can sometimes go hang out at dh's job which is a lot of help.

I have a rugh schedule for the day:
Get up, dressed, Daven.
Breakfast
Cleanup + some chores
Work sheets
Pool for the girls while my eight year old boy goes to Abba.
Snack
Pool for eight yearold while the rest have down time (read books, card games, puzzles)
Lunch
Bubbles, playdough, coloring books, nush
Clean up
Go out to the playground
Supper is at seven
By eight thirty the two little one should be in bed and the baby should be after his bath.
I'll nurse and put him to sleep while the big ones shower and get ready
By nine the two big ones should be reading in bed.
I'm aiming for no more than 40 to 60 minutes of screentime throughout the day.
Wish me luck!

Do you not let your kids swim together?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:24 am
I'm in also.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Do you not let your kids swim together?

It's separate swiming.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 12:35 pm
We spend the first couple of days sorting out their school things, throwing away stuff, throwing away school t-shirts etc and spring cleaning. Then we begin the fun. Mornings is for creative learning/ discovery learning and afternoons is for beach, park, friends, skating, basketball etc. Twice a week is going on a special trip. I try and clean up after each task which is tiring but better than looking at a balagan at the end of the day.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 5:48 pm
We've been doing this for a few years. My kids choose to stay home over going to camp because we have a blast! I do spend money on the summer as I would send them to camp. We mostly spend time out because at home there's always something for me to do and the point is for me to focus on them and have an amazing summer together. I love all the above posts. Just another tip- for regular errands and grocery shopping I always make a scavenger hunt or contest for the kids to do at the store. Makes it all part of the fun and I get to take care of what needs to be done without it being a chore.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:16 pm
Im in... im home with 7 and 3 year old boys. Today was painting with lessons on mixing colors of paint and primary vs secondary colors, water baloons and bowling.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:52 pm
Love the shopping scavenger hunt idea!

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:55 pm
Today we made sticky sand and went to a sprinkler park.
I know it's only July 3, but don't forget July 11 is 711 free slurpee day!
I want to get my kids a craft they can work on incrementaly that is not too messy or many pieces..like a weaving loom for DD. Any ideas for 6 year old boy?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:56 pm
this is my first year doing it but I think it's important to be "yourself", my mommy camp might look very different from yours and that's ok. For example I have a shady creak in my backyard so today I took my girls creaking and let them get all wet, they had a blast! We will probably be doing that again and again Wink On the other hand going to an amusement park on a boiling hot summer day would probably be torture for me so guess what, we probably won't be doing much if any of that type of activity. My goal doesn't have to be to have the most exciting activities, just stuff that my kids and I enjoy.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 6:58 pm
Blush amother, good point. I dont do big trips either. But I love hearing ideas!
And being able to vent with like-minded anothers if necessary Very Happy

lattemom

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:50 pm
Just wanted to add that Michaels craft store has a morning craft program on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays in July. I did it with my kids today and they had a great time. Its $5 per child and there is a different theme each week with different projects on each day. The program is for a full 2 hours of making 3 projects with an instructor. Just wanted to share Smile
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics