Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt - Rabbi Waldman

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 3:49 am
Anyone read this book? I'd love to hear your reviews.

champion

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 5:14 am
I read it as a teen. I enjoyed it. Don't remember anything specific.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 5:55 am
I read it as an adult.

I found it very condescending. There is a paragraph where Rabbi Waldman states something about how this book will satisfy everyone but people who are not looking to believe. His arguments are weak and not believable.

But if your target audience for the book is a believer who just wants to feel like they looked into proofs, then it would be fine.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 6:20 am
amother wrote:

I found it very condescending. There is a paragraph where Rabbi Waldman states something about how this book will satisfy everyone but people who are not looking to believe.His arguments are weak and not believable.

But if your target audience for the book is a believer who just wants to feel like they looked into proofs, then it would be fine.

I've read many contemporary books on this topic.The above is pretty much true about most of them no matter which side wrote them or which side they were written for.

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 6:26 am
I've read snippets and found them to be full of holes and very unconvincing. I haven't read the book in its entirety so perhaps some parts are better than the ones I read.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 7:04 am
I read it as a teenager and it really gave me a strong emunah because of it. After I got married my DH told me he read it as a teenager and that's what kept him frum.
( I found the arguments very convincing, it's funny the above posters didn't)

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 7:30 am
Read it as a teen and thought it was very good. It reassured me and made me feel lime I didnt need to look elsewhere

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:28 am
amother wrote:
I've read many contemporary books on this topic.The above is pretty much true about most of them no matter which side wrote them or which side they were written for.

I agree with that. I've stopped reading these books and have just put belief out of my mind. It doesn't matter if I believe anymore, I just do.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I agree with that. I've stopped reading these books and have just put belief out of my mind. It doesn't matter if I believe anymore, I just do.

If you had solid proof, it would just be knowledge, not belief.

So you're doing good 👍🏻
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics