Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Would you leave a new cleaning lady alone in your house?
1  2  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:57 am
I have a doctors appointment that I cannot change and that same day during that time, I'm supposed to have a new cleaning lady who only worked for me once before.
Would you keep the apptmt and still have the cleansing lady come, or cancel on the cleaning lady?
(I don't know anyone who will be home and able to check in on her while I'm gone.)

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:04 am
If your worried about her stealing things, I don't see how being home really helps. She's in your home at least a few hours. You're not going to follow her around like a puppy anyway. She's going to be in your bedroom alone. If she's going to put something in her pocket, your being home won't prevent that anyway.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
If your worried about her stealing things, I don't see how being home really helps. She's in your home at least a few hours. You're not going to follow her around like a puppy anyway. She's going to be in your bedroom alone. If she's going to put something in her pocket, your being home won't prevent that anyway.

She might be less likely to steal of I'm around. Although I guess I can just wear my diamond jewelry that day, so no worries about that...

nursemomma

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:49 am
I wouldn't. Have her come a different day.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:54 am
Omg. I feel like I wrote that post. Down to the appointment. And having only had the cleaning lady once before. I don't not trust her, but it does feel funny to just leave someone in your house that you don't even know.

I did put jewelry in safe. And I don't intend to tell her I won't be back till after she leaves. I'll call her and tell her where I left her pay.

justmarried:)

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 9:45 am
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I would just tell her to come another day and this way you can have peace of mind.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:07 am
you do know that if you leave her there alone the kashrus in your house is questionable. never leave a cleaning lady alone. no matter what. they are not reliable. they could treif up your kitchen in no time. because they dont care about your kashrus and can do whatever they want when you leave without you ever knowing. you cant watch her every minute. I know there are those that say if you come and go then its ok. but do you want to rely on that for the kashrus on your home? its a bidieved. not a lechatchila. if your in an emergency I understand but your not.

not only that would you rely on bedieved for the kashrus of your home? forget about her stealing. that is secondary. that if they do you can replace. kashrus is such an important part of keeping a kosher home. we spend so much money and effort to follow kashrus and then we can lose it in a minute with a cleaning lady. you think she cant take a frying pan and put something to cook trief in there? it has been so in the past that people found out their cleaning ladies cooking while they were gone and their whole kithcen became treif.

this is one of the reasons I dont eat in too many houses. because people rely on this. im not willing to be eating stuff that is questionable.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:20 am
I don't even let them into my house because when I was living in a different country I had a cleaning lady that molested me when I was 2 or 3 years old and it caused me to have severe contamination OCD

tweety1

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:24 am
No way!

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:32 am
Get cameras in the kitchen and dining room.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:36 am
I wouldn't leave anyone alone in my house. Lifnei iver lo titen michshol.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:36 am
I have to be home with her. Not because I think she'll steal or break anything, though.

I am not so organized, and if something gets moved and I don't see where she put it, I'll freak out later. If anything gets lost or misplaced, I only want myself to blame. It's unrealistic to expect anyone else to understand my "system" - or lack of it.

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:40 am
For all those who wouldn't leave the cleaning lady home alone, how many hours of help a week do you have?

I think the answer is different if you have full time help or a couple of hours once a week.

Those who have help full time would be tied to their house.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:45 am
How did you find her? I specifically found a cleaning lady through a friend for whom she'd worked for years just so I felt she was trustworthy. And she knew to do the kitchen exactly as I instructed and to just not do something if she wasn't sure. I waited until I was there for a few times to have her do the kitchen - at first she just washed the floors down.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 11:45 am
I wish I had cleaning help. I dont. too expensive.

max

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:34 pm
Never leave the cleaning lady home alone for a host of reasons theft the least of it but just think how many women leave something more valuable their child with baby sitter but hesitant to leave their other valuables with cleaning lady! Stuff can always be replaced

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 2:35 pm
max wrote:
Never leave the cleaning lady home alone for a host of reasons theft the least of it but just think how many women leave something more valuable their child with baby sitter but hesitant to leave their other valuables with cleaning lady! Stuff can always be replaced

Some of us have to leave our kid with a sitter if we're to put bread on the table. We don't feel good about it and we do a lot of investigation first. We don't have to have a cleaning lady. If I couldn't find a cleaning lady to come when someone's home, I wouldn't have one. Come to think of it, I don't have one.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 2:54 pm
a babysitter is different because if you take someone jewish and frum and someone who has track record with other people then chances are you will be fine. but a cleaning lady that is a whole different story. lets not compare the two.

JustAFrumMom

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:40 pm
Our cleaning lady is almost never alone in our house because there is almost always someone there. We're a large family with adult children, so someone is usually around. But, if I needed to leave her alone I would. I feel comfortable because we've had the same person for quite awhile. We also use an agency so if there were issues, they are accountable for them. We also do not leave dirty dishes for the cleaning lady. Our cleaning lady never does dishes, and she is instructed to simply set aside any dirty dishes we have missed if she finds them about the house. Further, our cleaning lady is familiar with working in frum homes. She understands the issues we have, and was AMAZING and quite knowledgable during Pesach cleaning. If it was a new cleaning lady...honestly, I would reschedule her. It takes time to vet out a cleaning person fully. For those who commented about babysitters, I worry far more about leaving the babysitter in my kitchen. Because she will feed the children, she is far more likely to interfere with kashrus. And that we have had problems with in the past...even with me leaving exactly what to eat already prepared, just needs warmed, and what dishes to use out, etc.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
a babysitter is different because if you take someone jewish and frum and someone who has track record with other people then chances are you will be fine. but a cleaning lady that is a whole different story. lets not compare the two.

oy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics