Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you borrow something like that
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:08 pm
A neighbor asked me if she can borrow my haircut machine,
I hate giving personal items but I can't say no

Would you borrow something like that ?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:09 pm
I wouldn't.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:12 pm
I'd tell my neighbor that I'd be happy to loan it to her, though I will not be able to use it after that because I'm very finicky about such things, so would she buy me a new one?

I'm sorry it's so hard for you to say no.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:14 pm
No more than I would lend my shaver or hairbrush.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:18 pm
I would if I could trust her to care for it well.
I learned to use it professionally, those get way worse use than your neighbor, and can't be washed. Only oiled as needed.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:18 pm
I would ask to borrow - but I would say 'of course I will sanitize it when I'm done'.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:25 pm
That's gross!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:26 pm
Maybe slightly different case, but a neighbor once asked me if she could borrow my breast milk pump. Now, while the parts can be boiled out (mechanical pump), I had read that that doesn't kill all germs and viruses. So I didn't want to give her the pump, I just find that - yucky. I told her that I had this terrible yeast infection on my breast and really didn't want her to catch that. It was a lie but I couldn't think of any other way to say no that wouldn't have given me the feeling that I had let her down or insulted her.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:33 pm
In the minority here. I don't see what's gross about it at all and would have no problem lending a haircut machine.

I would never have realised that you felt it was such a boundary crosser and would have been hurt and confused by some of the snarky responses suggested here. A simple, "no, I'm sorry I can't" would be completely respected by me.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 12:57 pm
I was depressed once, and borrowed but it was full of hair and was gross so I returned it without using it

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:11 pm
OOC- don't barbers use the same machine for all of their customers?

bsy

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:14 pm
cnc wrote:
OOC- don't barbers use the same machine for all of their customers?

That's what I was thinking. My mother would sometimes show other people how to give their sons haircuts and used her machine on non family members.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:19 pm
I've lent mine out. Never thought of it as gross. Just got annoyed when it wasn't returned in a timely way ever. So I went and bought myself a new one.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:31 pm
What is a "haircut machine"? A clipper? A Flowbee?

fiji

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:44 pm
Not sure why this is gross... If uve gone to a barber, his haircutting machine was used hundreds of times before it was used on you...
That being said, my husband has borrowed and lent hair cutting machines

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
What is a "haircut machine"? A clipper? A Flowbee?

A hair clipper

I gave it to her but made sure to clean it well before and asked her to give it back clean as well

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 1:55 pm
Tell her your very sorry but you don't lend out things that go into the category of hygiene etc. In general it's not healthy for you to lend out machines because people don't care about it and they break it. We used to lend out our vaacum cleaners until we learned our lesson. It costs $20 for a glue gun, $50-75 for a haircutting machine and $200 for a vacuum cleaner. Buy your own!

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 2:14 pm
In my (Israeli) neighborhood, there are gemachs that lend out both haircutting machines and manual breast pumps. We've borrowed both many times.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 2:17 pm
For me it would make a difference if you are using it for yourself or for you boys

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 2:24 pm
fiji wrote:
Not sure why this is gross... If uve gone to a barber, his haircutting machine was used hundreds of times before it was used on you...
That being said, my husband has borrowed and lent hair cutting machines

Finicky folks as myself would probably not go to the barber for this reason, or, I'd bring along our personal gadget so the barber could use it just for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette