Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which color prefinished wood floor did you choose-help choos

Which color do you like for dining and living rooms?
natural red oak  
 18%  [ 14 ]
butterscotch  
 27%  [ 20 ]
gunstock  
 21%  [ 16 ]
cherry oak  
 32%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 74

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 9:46 pm
http://www.somersetfloors.com/.....g?v=2

Which color do you like from these prefinished hard wood floors? Either natural red oak, butterscotch, gunstock ? maybe or cherry oak?
Is there anything to consider in terms of dark versus light colors?
What type of floor color do you have in your dining room and living room and do you like it?
Do you like the 2-1/4 or 3-1/4 inch planks better?

MrsEsther

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:21 am
My personal taste: Larger the planks the nicer they look. I like light colored wood. Wood tends to get darker over time anyways so I would get natural red oak. Light color wood hides scratches and dents better because the woods natural color is light. FYI dark wood is the latest trend but it's your home so go with what you like.

fiji

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 4:15 am
I used to have dark floors and didn't realize how lucky I was. Now I have light floors and I have to sweep EVERY DAY!! Light floors get dirty super easily- u can see every small speck of dirt. After shabbos/ yom tov when we have a lot of people over, the floors are a disaster!!! If u have a choice, I would definitely recommend dark floors!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:47 am
Match the majority of your furniture. I inherited a gorgeous set of dark walnut furniture from my great grandmother. I did my floors to match, and it looked so rich! Light floors would have looked stupid.

If you have modern Danish furniture in light colors, then definitely pick flooring that matches.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 7:35 am
MrsEsther wrote:
My personal taste: Larger the planks the nicer they look. I like light colored wood. Wood tends to get darker over time anyways so I would get natural red oak. Light color wood hides scratches and dents better because the woods natural color is light. FYI dark wood is the latest trend but it's your home so go with what you like.

I like light floors also thingking about natural red oak or buutterscoth, wondering if natural red oak will be too light?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 7:36 am
fiji wrote:
I used to have dark floors and didn't realize how lucky I was. Now I have light floors and I have to sweep EVERY DAY!! Light floors get dirty super easily- u can see every small speck of dirt. After shabbos/ yom tov when we have a lot of people over, the floors are a disaster!!! If u have a choice, I would definitely recommend dark floors!

So maybe butterscotch is better than natural red oak

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 7:31 pm
I like dark wood. Cherry or even one you didn't choose, chestnut. Which is on the next line of options. I like the chestnut much more.

I love love love the dark colors they look so rich.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 8:04 am
I love the gubstock and have something similar in my home.
But it's pure matter of taste.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 4:14 pm
I have natural white oak. I do NOT like cherry oak. It will clash with nearly any piece of furniture. I like chestnut (it's very in style now). The natural red oak looks like it has too much variation between planks.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 4:36 pm
Many factors go into how your floor will look, including

* the underlying wood (e.g., white/golden oak vs. red oak)
* the color of the stain that you choose (e.g., Gunstock or Cherry or Dark Walnut, three examples of stains from Minwax)
* the finish (water-based vs. oil-based)
* the glossiness (matte vs. satin vs. glossy)

You really need to take all of this into account. When we moved, I redid some of the floors (not the bedrooms) and went with a high-quality golden oak wood, stained with something called Early American, and asked for a satin oil-based finish. I also used wider than standard planking, over 3 inches.

My floors aren't the latest fashion, which is dark and matte, but I don't especially like that look. I'm very happy with my medium-colored floors. My best decision was getting the wood from a high-quality lumber store; the wood has lots of beautiful grain.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:45 pm
I like the Natural red oak the best. I think it makes the whole room look more airy because of its light colored.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 7:13 pm
darker floors are just massively dreary ... I vote with natural red oak

cherry oak or mahogany is beautiful for woodwork & doors

Miri7

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 7:47 pm
Mine are natural white oak

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 9:23 pm
Personally I like the shadow, but you didn't have that as on option.
I just think it will go with everything.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 9:49 pm
cbg wrote:
Personally I like the shadow, but you didn't have that as on option.
I just think it will go with everything.

I have a very dark wood floor and I definitely would not recommend it unless you have someone who will sweep a few times a day. Every speck of light dust or crumbs shows up in a big way, and it drives me nuts.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Jul 14 2017, 12:52 am
Also depends on how much light the room gets, ceiling height, wall color etc. Dark wood can darken a room a lot, although I do love the look of a deep rich brown (not black).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics