Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What would you put on the birth certificate? (US)
1  2  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:10 pm
What would you put as a legal name for each of these in the US?

Chana
Chaya
Eta
Batya

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:22 pm
Chana
Chaya
Eta
Batya

exactly those names

I have a chana. and a menachem. Legal names.

Today, there is such a variety of names used from all different ethnic cultures. What's the worst that can happen? Mispronunciation? It can happen anyways.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
What would you put as a legal name for each of these in the US?

Chana
Chaya
Eta
Batya

Hum, the ch issue. Eta and Batya are fine. Chana: Anna or Hannah?
Chaya: Haya?

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:29 pm
Hannah
Haya
Betty

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:29 pm
I put the name that we call them by, even for Ch names.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:30 pm
Hannah for chana
Not sure about Chaya
Eta
Batya

bsy

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:16 pm
All my siblings' names are the regular Hebrew names on legal documents. My name has a ch in it and so does my brother's. So what. It's so much easier than trying to remember who goes by what legal name.

shyshira

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:26 pm
OP - tell us what you are concerned about.

The names that you listed as written are using the commonly accepted 'transliteration' into English letters.

No need to use anglicized variant of the name.. IMHO

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:28 pm
We have the Ch name on DDs birth certificate (she actually has 2 of the names listed and both are written as they would be pronounced)

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:32 pm
I never agreed with what so many people say, that because there's so many ethnic and different names now, just leave the Hebrew name as legal name. As someone with a "ch" name on my birth certificate, I hate it!!! In my field of work I meet a lot of new people, and I hate having a name that people can't pronounce. It just makes things uncomfortable for me. Having an American legal name would be so much easier.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
I never agreed with what so many people say, that because there's so many ethnic and different names now, just leave the Hebrew name as legal name. As someone with a "ch" name on my birth certificate, I hate it!!! In my field of work I meet a lot of new people, and I hate having a name that people can't pronounce. It just makes things uncomfortable for me. Having an American legal name would be so much easier.

I hear what you are saying but, why not just use a different name at work. My husband (Moshe) worked in a (frum) company where everyone went my 'English' names. He continued to use that name (Mike) in his professional life and it was never an issue. By having his 'real' name on his birth cert, everything else is soo much easier.

cm

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:44 pm
Is Eta pronounced "eeta" or "etta?"

If it's unfamiliar and not English (so you can make up the spelling you like best), might as well use a spelling that will be pronounced correctly.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:46 pm
For Chaya, either put the real name or chose an English name. I would not do Haya.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
I hear what you are saying but, why not just use a different name at work. My husband (Moshe) worked in a (frum) company where everyone went my 'English' names. He continued to use that name (Mike) in his professional life and it was never an issue. By having his 'real' name on his birth cert, everything else is soo much easier.

For various reasons my legal name is the one I need to use.

Anyways, OP you can do
Chana--Hannah
Chava--the English version of Chava is Eve, so you can do that or Eva or the more popular Ava
Eta--Emma or Ella
Batya--Beatrice or Bella

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:49 pm
cm wrote:
Is Eta pronounced "eeta" or "etta?"

If it's unfamiliar and not English (so you can make up the spelling you like best), might as well use a spelling that will be pronounced correctly.

I would do Etta or Ita (my DD has one and my niece has the other)

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:

Ditto. As someone with a "Ch" legal name I find it incredibly annoying and frustrating particularly in a medical setting. If doctors/nurses aren't struggling to pronounce my name they often call me "Mrs. (Insert Last Name)" which is way too formal for my liking or completely avoid my name altogether which I find really impersonal....but at the same time I totally understand...I probably would do the same to avoid butchering someone's name.

Go for the legal English names. Your children probably won't thank you but it'll make things a littler easier IMO.

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 8:19 pm
I would put on their birth certificate whatever I planned on calling them. Makes life easier than having to remember to write differnet names on different documents.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 8:29 pm
I used to use a pediatrician in a primarily MO neighborhood. The staff were perfectly fine calling in kids named Chaim and Channah and the like. Then there would be a Chassidishe family in the waiting room, and when the nurse called Cynthia, they'd get up. I always found it funny.

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 9:00 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Hannah for chana
Not sure about Chaya
Eta
Batya

caia. Thank you American girls dolls for making this a new name.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 9:32 pm
1091 wrote:
caia. Thank you American girls dolls for making this a new name.

That would be Kaya. She's native American.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names