Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
A new Anthony Goldstein story
1  2  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 4:10 pm
Ds and I are working on a new Anthony Goldstein story since the Yehuda Goldstein one hasn't been updated in a while. I'm sure ours won't be as good, but here is the link.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12561319/1/

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 4:20 pm
That was fun to read! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait until he's at Hogwarts...

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 4:20 pm
Hurray! So excited. Thank you.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 4:21 pm
Good luck keeping up with it! Also, consider uploading to AO3, I personally prefer that platform for fics.
Also- not sure if you realize, but Newt Scamander (of Fantastic Beasts) is married to Porpentina Esther Goldstein :-) JKR has said that Anthony is distantly related to her. AnywAy, funny you picked the name Esther.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 10:35 am
I just posted the fourth chapter. If any Brits here notice anything incorrect about what I wrote, feel free to let me know, as I know nothing about Jewish British culture.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 1:27 pm
Neat! Can't wait for future chapters.

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:24 pm
I'm enjoying it very much!

May

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 12:45 am
I too am enjoying it, thanks!

Did you write the other stories by 'Tired Mommy' as well? I'm enjoying the Autistic Wizard story, interesting idea!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 8:18 pm
Yes, I wrote all the tired mommy stories. I generally discuss plots with ods towards the end of the school year and write during the summer since as a teacher I'm off in the summer. The main character of The Autistic Wizard is actually my younger son, plus the magic. Ari is ods plus the magic.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 8:37 pm
Thanks so much, it's such a nice read!

May

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 8:43 pm
Very well written and thought out. I enjoyed the Autistic wizard a lot. I love all the accommodations you made him. I'm not surprised you are writing about your own son, you obviously have a lot of inside knowledge.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I wrote all the tired mommy stories. I generally discuss plots with ods towards the end of the school year and write during the summer since as a teacher I'm off in the summer. The main character of The Autistic Wizard is actually my younger son, plus the magic. Ari is ods plus the magic.

I just read the entire Autistic Wizard story and it is fantastic!
Your current story is great, too!

You sound like a fabulous mother, I love this idea of writing with your kids!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
I just posted the fourth chapter. If any Brits here notice anything incorrect about what I wrote, feel free to let me know, as I know nothing about Jewish British culture.

Not about Jewish English culture, but about English culture in general: they don't play "soccer", rather "football" (I also never heard of an Englishman who knows what baseball is, but I guess there's always a first...)
Re dormning for high school (secondary school) it's basically unheard of in London. The boys usually continue in their primary school's secondary school....
Where does Ari come from? (U mentioned him going to London to buy school supplies)
Otherwise, great great story!

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:13 am
Just read your Autistic Wizard story and really enjoyed it!

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:54 am
SuperWify wrote:
Not about Jewish English culture, but about English culture in general: they don't play "soccer", rather "football" (I also never heard of an Englishman who knows what baseball is, but I guess there's always a first...)
Re dormning for high school (secondary school) it's basically unheard of in London. The boys usually continue in their primary school's secondary school....
Where does Ari come from? (U mentioned him going to London to buy school supplies)
Otherwise, great great story!

Dean Thomas constantly refers to soccer in book one which is why I'm calling it soccer. I did look up British baseball and they do have leagues. I'm assuming some people have to follow the leagues. They also do participate in Little League although they never won their region to advance to the world series. Kevin is never mentioned in the books, but I picture him as a nerdy kid who wouldn't go for popular sports.
The reason Ari is not in London is because I don't know how long it would take for an owl to go from London to Scotland, and Ari needs his food daily. I looked up Jewish communities in Scotland and saw that they do exist in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but I haven't been too impressed with what I read about either of them, so I'm not really sure where Ari is from; I just know it can't be too far and may be one of those communities or another place where an owl could easily fly back and forth every day. Both of those Scottish Jewish communities did grow significantly during and after the holocaust, which is why I thought it may be possible, but I don't know enough about the Jewish life in Britain to know how frum your average Jew from these towns are. Edinburgh does not have any kosher restaurants while Glasgow does, but that's not really an indicator of the actual community. As they are not in London, I'm assuming it's possible for a family to want their kid to dorm for secondary school in order to go to a frummer school, but it's not likely that a child would be able to attend class and Friday and make it home for Shabbos, so I guess that's why dorming isn't popular.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
Dean Thomas constantly refers to soccer in book one which is why I'm calling it soccer. I did look up British baseball and they do have leagues. I'm assuming some people have to follow the leagues. They also do participate in Little League although they never won their region to advance to the world series. Kevin is never mentioned in the books, but I picture him as a nerdy kid who wouldn't go for popular sports.
The reason Ari is not in London is because I don't know how long it would take for an owl to go from London to Scotland, and Ari needs his food daily. I looked up Jewish communities in Scotland and saw that they do exist in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but I haven't been too impressed with what I read about either of them, so I'm not really sure where Ari is from; I just know it can't be too far and may be one of those communities or another place where an owl could easily fly back and forth every day. Both of those Scottish Jewish communities did grow significantly during and after the holocaust, which is why I thought it may be possible, but I don't know enough about the Jewish life in Britain to know how frum your average Jew from these towns are. Edinburgh does not have any kosher restaurants while Glasgow does, but that's not really an indicator of the actual community. As they are not in London, I'm assuming it's possible for a family to want their kid to dorm for secondary school in order to go to a frummer school, but it's not likely that a child would be able to attend class and Friday and make it home for Shabbos, so I guess that's why dorming isn't popular.

If you are working from a copy of "sorcerer's stone" that's bc it was Americanized for Americans. In all other versions, it's called and says football. Other ways it was changed, sorcerer's for philosopher. Sweater for jumper. Mom for mum, which JKR put her for down and made them go back to mum... But in my original copy it says mom.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 12:40 pm
Thanks for clarifying. I knew they changed philosopher to sorcerer, but I wasn't aware of the other changes. I do have them discuss it in the chapter I just posted, Soccer Sunday.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 12:43 pm
No worries... Here is a link to a list of changes for future

https://www.hp-lexicon.org/dif.....text/

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:03 pm
Thanks again. Interestingly enough, in Ireland, it's called soccer, but Dean isn't Irish.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:05 pm
There is actually a lot of back story on Dean JKR sacrificed Dean's story for Neville

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Dean_Thomas
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club