Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tips for fasting at work

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:39 am
due to a flexible schedule previously, I have not had to work on a fast day in many years. tomorrow, will be my first time doing so, and I've almost always had water/snacks/lunch at work. I'm not a good faster in general, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for getting through the day, especially as it's the longest fast of the year.

makehappy

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:47 am
singleagain wrote:
due to a flexible schedule previously, I have not had to work on a fast day in many years. tomorrow, will be my first time doing so, and I've almost always had water/snacks/lunch at work. I'm not a good faster in general, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for getting through the day, especially as it's the longest fast of the year.

As a working woman too I've had many fasts at work. It is hard and I function less than my usual. But I prepare in advance. I stop having coffee for a few days before the fast. I keep refilling my bottle of water the day before and I drink a ton. On the day of the fast I try distract myself with tons of work so I won't feel the hunger. Also don't overeat the day before. Eat a normal supper.
I eat fruits I heard its good.
Good luck
Confused

heidi

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:55 am
I find it hard to believe that it's longer than Tisha B'av.
Actually, this is considered a minor fast and if you have such a hard time fasting you might want to ask your local Orthodox rabbi whether you even have to fast.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:00 am
Drink a lot the day before. Grape juice is good. Grapes and watermelon are good. Almond butter on rice cakes or toast for dinner the night before help me.
A frum store may have nutritional supplement pills formulated for fasts.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:04 pm
Do you tell your co-workers that you are fasting? If yes, what do you say? I started a new job a couple of months ago and this is my first fast here. I usually eat lunch together with my co-workers.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
Do you tell your co-workers that you are fasting? If yes, what do you say? I started a new job a couple of months ago and this is my first fast here. I usually eat lunch together with my co-workers.

I do. I say that Jews have fast days to mourn different tragedies that befell our nation

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:14 pm
I work in a Jewish staffed office, so I just told them I'm a bad faster. Warning. They seemed willing to help give me easier work if I need ... I'm pretty new myself and I'm still learning anyways.

I did work in a primarily non Jewish facility, and while I never worked on fast days (it was part time) I would explain why I want working and they were mostly curious, facinsted and like awed that I could do that.

I would just keep it a simple reason.

Seriously

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:15 pm
I just don't fast

egam

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:53 pm
I actually find it easier to fast at work than at home. I feel the day goes quicker. I usually don't publicize my fasting but don't keep it a secret either.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 12:06 am
I work in a office with 90 women that range from sem grafuates, newlyweds till max age of 30. Some ppl esp newlyweds feel the need to hide if they are not fasting since many ppl r so nosy and automatically assume that if someone is not fasting, it means they are preg!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics