Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are tattoos disgusting?
Previous  1  2

pause

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:43 pm
Fox wrote:

In general, as always, I agree with SixOfWands on this.

OT, but do you keep track of who agrees with you and how often???

pause

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:48 pm
To answer OP

It says in ויקרא כ כו:
"ואבדל אתכם מן העמים להיות לי" and rashi says:
- אם אתם מובדלים מהם הרי אתם שלי ואם לאו הרי אתם של נבוכדנצר וחביריו רבי אלעזר בן עזריה אומר מנין שלא יאמר אדם נפשי קצה בבשר חזיר אי אפשי ללבוש כלאים אבל יאמר אפשי ומה אעשה ואבי שבשמים גזר עלי ת"ל ואבדיל אתכם מן העמים להיות לי שתהא הבדלתכם מהם לשמי פורש מן העבירה ומקבל עליו עול מלכות שמים

Loosely translated, one shouldn't say I can't eat pig meat or I can't wear shatnez. I can, but what should I do that Hashem commanded me not to.

shyshira

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:53 pm
pause wrote:
To answer OP

It says in ויקרא כ כו:
"ואבדל אתכם מן העמים להיות לי" and rashi says:
- אם אתם מובדלים מהם הרי אתם שלי ואם לאו הרי אתם של נבוכדנצר וחביריו רבי אלעזר בן עזריה אומר מנין שלא יאמר אדם נפשי קצה בבשר חזיר אי אפשי ללבוש כלאים אבל יאמר אפשי ומה אעשה ואבי שבשמים גזר עלי ת"ל ואבדיל אתכם מן העמים להיות לי שתהא הבדלתכם מהם לשמי פורש מן העבירה ומקבל עליו עול מלכות שמים

Loosely translated, one shouldn't say I can't eat pig meat or I can't wear shatnez. I can, but what should I do that Hashem commanded me not to.

Thanks for this and all the other thoughtful responses.

pause

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:03 pm
shyshira wrote:
Thanks for this and all the other thoughtful responses.

You're welcome!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 12:49 am
I don't relate to tattoos at all; I don't find them attractive, especially when done as "sleeves" totally covering the body. It does approach disgusting to me; I'm just really turned off by it. And I think a lot of it stems from my grandparents being tattooed in the camps. There are a lot of Israelis living here who are tattooed and I always feel disgusted in particular when I see that.

marina

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 12:49 pm
being dishonest in business is specifically termed a toevah in the chumash. I'm hoping that revulsion will spread far and wide soon.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
And I think a lot of it stems from my grandparents being tattooed in the camps. .

Could be but not necessarily. My relatives HY"D were just murdered right in the ghettoes of their respective towns without being tattooed, -but I'm still turned off by tats and especially the ones covering large swaths of skin. In theory I imagine that small discreet and pleasant images are attractive or at least inoffensive but IRL I find them ugly too. I consider the temporary designs done in henna equally ugly while they last but they eventually wear off.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics