Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New book recommendation?
1  2  Next

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 5:57 pm
It's Amazon Prime Day. Prime members are eligible for $5 off a $15 book sold by Amazon. Does anyone have any interesting recommendations?

mommy2379

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:04 pm
The invention of wings
The Underground Railroad
The nightingale
The Magic strings of Frankie Presto

mommy2379

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:06 pm
Fall of giants- 1st book in three part series by ken follet. loved the series.
Edited to add - I read mostly historical fiction...if by interesting you meant some iteresting sci fi fantasy titles then ignore my recs!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 8:43 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
The invention of wings
The Underground Railroad
The nightingale
The Magic strings of Frankie Presto

This is the only one I've read. If you like Mitch Albom, go for it.
Speaking of history, The 28th of Iyar by Rabbi Emmanuel Feldman is amazing. It's a reprint of a journal he kept 50 year ago while on sabbatical in E"Y. A few weeks before he was due to leave was the Six Day War, and he lived through it (and the buildup).

devorah1231

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 10:20 pm
CNC, what type of books do you like?

mommy2379

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:27 am
Loved the 28th of Iyar by R Feldman, also thought it was a really fantastic read, pink fridge ...and re the magic strings- I had some mental block against Mitch Albom before this, but really enjoyed that one. If you are looking for more Jewish stuff- Im a big fan of the Vichna Kaplan bio that came out recently-ish ( if you like bios and if the origins of the bais yakov movement interest you...)

byisrael

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:20 am
Fiction? what genere?

I love the Outlander series cause it has everything I love in a book; historical fiction, fantasy/sci-fi, suspense, romance....but it does have a lot of s-x scenes (it is not the main story line and is very tastefully written)

If you are into Sci - Fi/dystopia - The maze runner series is great (if you read the first 3 they came out with 2 prequels)

If you are looking for intesting non -fiction, Change or Die

Miri7

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:25 am
byisrael wrote:
Fiction? what genere?

I love the Outlander series cause it has everything I love in a book; historical fiction, fantasy/sci-fi, suspense, romance....but it does have a lot of s-x scenes (it is not the main story line and is very tastefully written)

If you are into Sci - Fi/dystopia - The maze runner series is great (if you read the first 3 they came out with 2 prequels)

If you are looking for intesting non -fiction, Change or Die

I also loved the Outlander series. I'm going to check out the Maze Runner series soon. You're the second or third person I've heard mention it recently. Thx!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:51 am
also loved Outlander ( but def has so inappropriate content)...maze runner was a great series, a bit YA but enjoyable, especially if you like dystopian fantasy like Hunger games, Uglies, Divergent...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 3:39 am
Hi,

I'm also a voracious avid reader. If I wasn't obligated Wink Very Happy with housework and daily to-do's e.t.c I'd probably be reading all day and night. Just a description to how much I LOVE reading, not complaining about b'H having a home to run.

Not meaning to boast, but in my teens, for years I would take out 30!!! books from the public library every Friday after school, and finish them all throughout the week.
The highlight of my week was browsing through the library shelves full of books on Fridays.

Since the market started teeming b'H with Jewish books, I switched to reading only Jewish material. I probably had my overfill as a girl reading secular/non-Jewish books b/c there was an extreme dearth in Jewish books.
I tried reading a non-Jewish book recently that a friend had recommended, and found that I couldn't get through the first few paras. The wording is so rough and vulgar. And the plots questionable and either contains murder, shooting, alarming violence ...

Please note: I don't mean to insult those that do read non-Jewish books. Chas v'Shalom.
By all means, happy reading.
I just meant me that I taken a dislike to non-Jewish books.

I mainly like novels.
So, I'd appreciate if anyone can recommend new good novels that have come out, I'll be very grateful.

ty

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:08 am
mommy2379 wrote:
Loved the 28th of Iyar by R Feldman, also thought it was a really fantastic read, pink fridge ...and re the magic strings- I had some mental block against Mitch Albom before this, but really enjoyed that one. If you are looking for more Jewish stuff- Im a big fan of the Vichna Kaplan bio that came out recently-ish ( if you like bios and if the origins of the bais yakov movement interest you...)

Mitch Albom isn't good for people with cholesterol issues to read - often schmaltzy Wink - and some of his books (like the one about time) get folklorey and not exactly in line with how I think the world metaphysically run, IYWIM. But good stories that you can't help but get into.

Switching gears:
I know the Rebbetzin Kaplan book is incredible but I couldn't keep it out long enough to get into it. Maybe over the summer....

But other Jewish non-fiction that I could recommend people spending money on includes At His Rebbe's Side and Incredible. Pretty well-written, compelling and beautiful stories.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
Hi,

I'm also a voracious avid reader. If I wasn't obligated Wink Very Happy with housework and daily to-do's e.t.c I'd probably be reading all day and night. Just a description to how much I LOVE reading, not complaining about b'H having a home to run.

Not meaning to boast, but in my teens, for years I would take out 30!!! books from the public library every Friday after school, and finish them all throughout the week.
The highlight of my week was browsing through the library shelves full of books on Fridays.

Since the market started teeming b'H with Jewish books, I switched to reading only Jewish material. I probably had my overfill as a girl reading secular/non-Jewish books b/c there was an extreme dearth in Jewish books.
I tried reading a non-Jewish book recently that a friend had recommended, and found that I couldn't get through the first few paras. The wording is so rough and vulgar. And the plots questionable and either contains murder, shooting, alarming violence ...

Please note: I don't mean to insult those that do read non-Jewish books. Chas v'Shalom.
By all means, happy reading.
I just meant me that I taken a dislike to non-Jewish books.

I mainly like novels.
So, I'd appreciate if anyone can recommend new good novels that have come out, I'll be very grateful.

ty

I'm fairly discriminating in the non-Jewish books I read but given your parameters would only recommend non-fiction to you. But I won't even go there.

I'm trying to think about the Judaica fiction I've read...I hate to say this because I don't want to take away anyone's parnasa but I seldom buy novels because I know I'll only read them once. However, if E.G. Schwartz's Civil War book ever goes to book form, I will buy it because I'm plotzing to read it.

How up-to-date are you? And the Judaica I've mentioned in my earlier posts on this thread, even though they're non-fiction, are fantastically readable.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm fairly discriminating in the non-Jewish books I read but given your parameters would only recommend non-fiction to you. But I won't even go there.

I'm trying to think about the Judaica fiction I've read...I hate to say this because I don't want to take away anyone's parnasa but I seldom buy novels because I know I'll only read them once. However, if E.G. Schwartz's Civil War book ever goes to book form, I will buy it because I'm plotzing to read it.

How up-to-date are you? And the Judaica I've mentioned in my earlier posts on this thread, even though they're non-fiction, are fantastically readable.

Thank you for responding.

Are you referring to Etka Gittel's last serial in Binah?

Hard to say how up to date am I.
Up until 8 years ago I used to borrow very frequently books from a library a friend has in her home. Then I was very up to date b/c she got in all the new books right away, though of
course everyone wanted to read them and there was a waiting list.

Then, Boruch Hashem, my life got busier and I found I couldn't manage to keep up my reading pace, so I stopped borrowing.
Since then I treat myself to a new book or two for Sukkos and Pesach.
So I guess I'm not so up to date, but I have read the newer books.
I have also found, though I cannot fathom why - I've become more selective in the type of books I enjoy reading.
e.g. I don't go for violent thrillers anymore. I'm talking about Jewish books. Can't stomach them anymore.
Then there are certain authors whose writing I very much enjoy reading.

I didn't notice an earlier post of yours on this thread, containing book titles.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for responding.

Are you referring to Etka Gittel's last serial in Binah?

Her most recent one was the Fisch Kirschenbaum Guide to Weddings, or something like that. I'd love to read it too. But I enjoy good Jewish historical fiction so am plotzing to read the Civil War one.

The non-fiction books I mentioned earlier are The 28th of Iyar, by Rabbi Emmanuel Feldman, Incredible, and At His Rebbi's Side, both memoirs written by - but not about - R. Nachman Seltzer.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Her most recent one was the Fisch Kirschenbaum Guide to Weddings, or something like that. I'd love to read it too. But I enjoy good Jewish historical fiction so am plotzing to read the Civil War one.

The non-fiction books I mentioned earlier are The 28th of Iyar, by Rabbi Emmanuel Feldman, Incredible, and At His Rebbi's Side, both memoirs written by - but not about - R. Nachman Seltzer.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't understand you were referring to these titles.
I did notice that you mentioned them earlier on.
R' Nachman Seltzer and Rabbi Emanuel Feldman are both fantastic writers, so I'm not surprised that the non-fiction you mention they wrote was excellent.
Was it Rabbi E. Feldman who wrote - "A Shul with a View?" if I'm quoting the title right.
I really liked it.

I haven't read Binah in ages, (used to read it weekly) so I've missed out on E.G.'s excellent writing. And Batya Ruddell. And Yael Mermelstein.

I think the last I read of E.G.'s, was "Full Harvest." (not sure I got the title right) The serial where one of the main characters was in labor for a good 3-4 chapters, and I think kept every reader in torturous suspense. Very Happy

crystal

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:56 pm
I don't know the genre you're interested in but I really enjoyed the Artemis fowl series.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't understand you were referring to these titles.
I did notice that you mentioned them earlier on.
R' Nachman Seltzer and Rabbi Emanuel Feldman are both fantastic writers, so I'm not surprised that the non-fiction you mention they wrote was excellent.
Was it Rabbi E. Feldman who wrote - "A Shul with a View?" if I'm quoting the title right.
I really liked it.

Rabbi Feldman and Rabbi Ron Yitzchak Eisenman take alternate weeks in Mishpacah. Rabbi Eisenman is the Shul with a View columnist. (Though Rabbi Feldman wrote a book called Tales Out of Shul.)

rise above

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 10:50 pm
My favorites in last 5 years are the betrayal and the outcast. I look at the artscroll ad every week to see if the 3rd book has yet come out!
If you haven't read those, I highly recommend.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 4:27 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Rabbi Feldman and Rabbi Ron Yitzchak Eisenman take alternate weeks in Mishpacah. Rabbi Eisenman is the Shul with a View columnist. (Though Rabbi Feldman wrote a book called Tales Out of Shul.)

Thanks. You're right. I got mixed up.
It's his book - Tales Out of Shul, that I was referring to that I enjoyed reading; it was years ago.

Do you read their columns in Mishpacha?
I enjoy the style of writing of both Rabbis.
Rabbi Feldman's recent column on the use of emojis/emoticons was amusing.
Rabbi Eisenman's columns I get to read amongst his - "The Short Vort" emails that I receive daily.
He really writes well.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 4:31 am
rise above wrote:
My favorites in last 5 years are the betrayal and the outcast. I look at the artscroll ad every week to see if the 3rd book has yet come out!
If you haven't read those, I highly recommend.

Thanks. Who's the author of these two books?

I'm thinking, is it G. Halevi?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room