Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Can I use wine glasses for water?
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:05 pm
I like a certain set of stemware that's on sale. However it only comes with wine glasses (white wine, red wine and champagne flutes, as well as a stemless red wine glass). Can I use one of the wine glasses as a water glass? We rarely serve white+red wine at a meal anyway...
If so, which glass should I use for water?
White wine with stem, red wine with stem or stemless red wine?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:11 pm
the stemless wine glasses sound nice for water & there is no limit on water drinking so the red ones which I just learned are larger in ounces than the white ones !!! לחיים

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:12 pm
Nobody but a snob would care what you use to serve water, even if it's yahrzeit glasses. I wouldn't use champagne flutes because they can be a bit awkward and are a royal pain to wash. Like greenie I think the stemless variety is best for purely practical reasons.

If anyone is miffed that you use wine glasses for water, do you really want them as your friends?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:18 pm
zaq wrote:
Nobody but a snob would care what you use to serve water, even if it's yahrzeit glasses. I wouldn't use champagne flutes because they can be a bit awkward and are a royal pain to wash. Like greenie I think the stemless variety is best for purely practical reasons.

If anyone is miffed that you use wine glasses for water, do you really want them as your friends?

I don't think anyone would be miffed or offended, but if I would like to have a nice presentation if possible, as nice as I can manage.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:20 pm
And you think a red wine glass is seriously nicer than white? Or vice versa? Or that either is nicer than what it pleases housewares manufacturers to call a water glass, or vice versa?

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

simba

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:20 pm
Yes. Will look elegant.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:22 pm
I don't like stemmed glasses because they are easy to knock over. Then your table isn't pretty anymore.

Go for nice, not perfect.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
I don't like stemmed glasses because they are easy to knock over. Then your table isn't pretty anymore.

Go for nice, not perfect.

A woman of sense indeed. IMHO stemware is for catered affairs and pricey restaurants--and is probably one reason why they're that pricey.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:28 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I like a certain set of stemware that's on sale. However it only comes with wine glasses (white wine, red wine and champagne flutes, as well as a stemless red wine glass). Can I use one of the wine glasses as a water glass? We rarely serve white+red wine at a meal anyway...
If so, which glass should I use for water?
White wine with stem, red wine with stem or stemless red wine?

It comes with both stemmed and stemless red wine glasses? If so, definitely use the stemless red wine glasses for water. Otherwise, there may also be a coordinating water goblet.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:32 pm
No coordinating water goblets in this specific set.
Zaq- I don't know the diff but my husband's family are wine connoisseurs and very well traveled and know these things; I like to make a nice impression when I can, especially when it's a simple as this (I have to purchase new glasses anyway so I may as well purchase the right kind).

Also, I think some glasses are easier to drink out of - certain shapes lend themselves to water/non alcoholic beverages because you can drink more at a time whereas other shapes are for wine because you can sip slowly and savor

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:38 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Also, I think some glasses are easier to drink out of - certain shapes lend themselves to water/non alcoholic beverages because you can drink more at a time whereas other shapes are for wine because you can sip slowly and savor

This is absolutely true and a very good point. But I still prefer stemless.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:43 pm
Thanks everyone for your input.
I ordered the stemless red wine glass (which I'll use for water) and the stemmed red wine glass. Hope it looks okay together.
If anyone is interested, Macy's is having good deals today. I purchased a set of 12 for $16.99 and free shipping.
I know they won't be high quality, but I plan to put them in the dishwasher etc and this way I won't be upset if (when) they break.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:46 pm
Stemware is for chilled wines because you don't want the heat from your hands to warm up the wine and affect the flavor. Brandy snifters are an exception: you're supposed to cup the bottom of the glass to warm the liquid do that the vapors collect in the balloon and enhance your enjoyment of the bouquet. Water and other nonalcoholic beverages need no stem.

Op, if impressing your inlaws by using the "right" glassware is so important to you, choose a different set that features the entire gamut from sherry glasses to brandy snifters to champagne flutes to water goblets and beyond.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 12:53 am
Op- I think it's lovely that you take pride in your table!
enjoy your new glasses and thanks for sharing the info!

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:37 am
zaq wrote:
Op, if impressing your inlaws by using the "right" glassware is so important to you, choose a different set that features the entire gamut from sherry glasses to brandy snifters to champagne flutes to water goblets and beyond.

This sounds very mean and sarcastic, uncharacteristic of you unless an OP is being ridiculous. This OP clearly has a reason for wanting things to look a little fancier than standard, but nowhere did she indicate that she wants to go "all out." Why so snide then?

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:01 am
familyfirst wrote:
Op- I think it's lovely that you take pride in your table!
enjoy your new glasses and thanks for sharing the info!

I agree!
Enjoy your new glasses allthingsblue!
I think u made the right choice.
(I just saw this thread but I would have recommended stemless.)

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 10:57 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
This sounds very mean and sarcastic, uncharacteristic of you unless an OP is being ridiculous. This OP clearly has a reason for wanting things to look a little fancier than standard, but nowhere did she indicate that she wants to go "all out." Why so snide then?

She said her inlaws were wine connoisseurs and she was afraid of looking bad if she used the wrong glass. If that is the case, then she needs the whole schmear.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:53 pm
Honestly, zaq, I've always respected your views. So well written and thought out. But this sounds so not like you!
Didn't your mother teach you that if you have nothing nice to say don't say it?

You're usually so thoughtful and gracious! I feel like someone borrowed your screen name and submitted that post.
Whatever.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:13 pm
Honestly I solved the whole glasses thing by buying them by the case at a restaurant supply. They are same tasting glasses the local wineries use. There are white/reds and flutes. I also used to buy water glasses the same way.

I do hope after all of this focus on detail guests are eating off real plates and not disposables. I always get a chuckle when I have shabbos at a relatives and she puts out the Saint Louis crystal with plastic plates.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:25 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Honestly I solved the whole glasses thing by buying them by the case at a restaurant supply. They are same tasting glasses the local wineries use. There are white/reds and flutes. I also used to buy water glasses the same way.

I do hope after all of this focus on detail guests are eating off real plates and not disposables. I always get a chuckle when I have shabbos at a relatives and she puts out the Saint Louis crystal with plastic plates.

When I toivel my set of China, along with the new glasses, then yes my guests will eat on real dishes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette