Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mold in freezer...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:16 am
Help! A few months ago, I decided that I really don't need to keep my deep freezer in my basement plugged in and running at all times. It was a big waste of electricity and food. So, I took out any food that had been in there, transferred it to my fridge/ freezer and unplugged it. I totally forgot to clean it right away after it defrosted. Now, I opened it and there is mold, water, and repulsive smell. I'm so embarrassed! Firstly, any suggestions how to clean it well and safely? Also, my cleaning help is coming today. Do you think it's ok if I ask her to do it all, or do it with me, or ask her if she's ok, but if not, no problem? I really do treat her nicely, and don't want to give her a demeaning, gross job. What would you do? Thanx.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:25 am
You asked wwyd? I'd get rid of it.

But maybe others will have more practical help.

Sounds horrible for you op, so sorry.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:27 pm
Google "how to clean a moldy freezer." Hint: it involves bleach.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 9:33 am
Thanx. Do you think it's ok for me to ask my cleaning lady to do it? Is it ok for me to ask her to do it with me? Is that better? Is it dangerous to inhale while cleaning it? Thanx.

miami85

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:05 am
When I saw this post, it initially reminded me of when I was in seminary and we picked grapes, and I put mine in the freezer b/c they were really good frozen--but when I went to get them a couple of weeks later, someone told me that they had been thrown out b/c they were "moldy"--I'm like Mold cant grow in the freezer--it was probably frost, but in your case the freezer wasn't plugged in, so makes sense. I was kind of annoyed my grapes were thrown out.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:06 am
I don't see why not. You hired her to clean, after all.

Bleach is not kind to eyes, nose, throat and skin.

1. Buy a pair of chemical splash goggles from the hardware store and wear them while handling liquid bleach, even after diluted.
2. Wear rubber or other chemical-resistant utility gloves, NOT the thin exam gloves you use for handling raw poultry.
2. Keep windows and doors open for ventilation.
3. Keep children away.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:36 am
Why not? Ask her if she minds, adding that you totally understand if she's uncomfortable with it.
You have a job that needs to be done that's uncomfortable to do. You have someone hired for cleaning. Just be sensitive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry