Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
The Entitled Customer
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:34 pm
Please tell me if I'm crazy. I have a service business that I run out of my home. I never provide service before payment because of the many many times I got burnt. Well, one customer had an "emergency" and said she's personally sending the money. After which she claimed that I should pick up the money. I tried (why did I do that?) and she never was available/at the right place/whatever. 2 months later, she claimed that if I want her to drop off the $ she will charge me a delivery fee. Seriously?!?!?! I wanted to know if she charged herself a delivery fee for picking up the item when she needed it "emergency..."

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:37 pm
NO WAY! That's crazy. She already committed to sending the money, so where is it? I would drop this customer from my list after this.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:38 pm
Wow. Just wow. This brings new meaning to the word chutzpah. Hopefully you are dropping this client. Some accounts are just not worth it.

ETA...hopefully you charged her a fee for the rush job?

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miri7

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:38 pm
Ugh, what an awful customer.

Why can't she mail a check or provide a credit card number like a normal person?

Once you receive the money, inform her that, while you appreciate her business, that you regret that you will no longer be able extend her the courtesy of providing services without payment, regardless of whether it is an emergency or not.

heidi

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:39 pm
this is not entitled, it's selfish and stealing.If you're out a significant amount of money I would consider bringing her to small claims court.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:40 pm
She claimed that she mailed a check and that it came back. Yeah right. Never had an issue with that before. I'll tell you what gets me a lot. How can you even think of using something before you pay for it?! Is it just me? I would never!!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
She claimed that she mailed a check and that it came back. Yeah right. Never had an issue with that before. I'll tell you what gets me a lot. How can you even think of using something before you pay for it?! Is it just me? I would never!!

Even if it were true....Unless you are personally affiliated with the local post office and you purposely sent back that check....her claim holds no water. It's her responsibility to pay you - it's not your responsibility to run after the money.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:44 pm
Can I assume you dont have anything in writing?

Good news. These days there are a million quick easy apps for payment. Set up paypal or square cash (I love that one. So fast!). She can send it while she goes to the bathroom.

I pay a dog walker sometimes. She asked tk be paid on square cash, which I didnt have. She didnt have paypal and had no interest in setting up an account because it takes a little bit longer to set up. It took me about 2 mins and I had set up the accont and paid her. Now I use it all the time.

Seriously these days theres no excuse. Shr can do it from her phone or computer. No need to deliver or mail.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:55 pm
Yeah, the service industry can stink that way. I'm still waiting for a $600 check since May, and she keeps ignoring my messages Rolling Eyes

egam

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 3:10 pm
Delivery fee? Some chutzpah!
Please tell her that if it's not paid by certain date you'll add late fee.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 1:29 pm
Ha Ha! That's exactly what I told her!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 1:39 pm
egam wrote:
Delivery fee? Some chutzpah!
Please tell her that if it's not paid by certain date you'll add late fee.

Makes sense, but ask if it's called ribbis.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 1:40 pm
She sounds quite emotionally unstable to me.
You need to pay her to get the money she owes you??!

I am laughing out loud at the absurdity of it all!

nachasmom

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:04 pm
This is a prime example of the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:16 pm
Still wondering why you dont have her paypal or money square you the funds.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:32 pm
I have to be honest. When I saw the thread title I was ready to jump all over you with "the customer is always right" (having grown up very involved in my family's retail business and having dealt with more than my share of entitled customers) but OMG that lady takes the cake. So, so wrong!!

kermit

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 9:59 pm
I've dealt with customers like these 100s of times, usually it has to do with bounced cheques in the store.
I will tell you right now this is a classic case of stalling. she doesn't have the money, that's whats going on. these stories are a tactic and they will sound very convincing. they will claim they sent money by cheque or money order in the mail. or that they have the money but theyre sending with friends etc etc.

if you have her home address, show up personally at dinner time when she's sure to be home and dont leave without the money. do not warn before that you are coming. it's collections and its unpleasant.

it's a learning experience. never do a job without at least a cc# going forward

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 6:46 am
And what if the credit card account is closed? As a small business owner we have quite a few of such small balances, sometimes even $20 that we just cant get cause the person is nebech disorganized? Dishonest? You name it, but we tried.
Just yesterday DH picked up a new check from a client, instead of the check that bounced after we gave them change cash of more than half the check amount. (After waiting for months for a $200 balance, he said he just has a check of $440, and if we give time change we'll get our payment.... after it bounced, we had to run after him again to get the $440 plus the bank fee for returned checks)
And we do actually have a list of people we will not serve only with cash payment.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:03 am
amother wrote:
And what if the credit card account is closed? As a small business owner we have quite a few of such small balances, sometimes even $20 that we just cant get cause the person is nebech disorganized? Dishonest? You name it, but we tried.
Just yesterday DH picked up a new check from a client, instead of the check that bounced after we gave them change cash of more than half the check amount. (After waiting for months for a $200 balance, he said he just has a check of $440, and if we give time change we'll get our payment.... after it bounced, we had to run after him again to get the $440 plus the bank fee for returned checks)
And we do actually have a list of people we will not serve only with cash payment.

It's good you have such a list, but add this situation to another list -- of mistakes to avoid.

Never give someone cash "change" from a written check. It's a scam situation.

If they need it that much, let them come with you to the bank and take care of it that way.

Can I just say to all small service business practitioners, sorry you have to deal with this, and thank you for being here.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 1:39 pm
OP here. I've had so many of the above-mentioned situation that I've had to change my policy to CASH ONLY ON DELIVERY!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics