Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Non-toxic ways to get rid of lice?
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:45 pm
My toddler has lice. She is the kind of kid who can't keep things out of her mouth, and I was looking for some non-toxic ways to get rid of lice. We have been combing and combing and combing and combing and putting everything in the dryer over and over, but it doesn't seem to be enough. We are in Israel, if that makes any difference in your suggestions.

Thank you!!

mommy2379

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:50 pm
Are you using the assy 2000 comb or some other comb? If you comb her out twice a day (once in the bath, once in the morning) really thoroughly for a week with the assy 2000 , you should be able to get on top of the situation. After a week of twice a day I'd continue to comb her out fully for a few more weeks once a day. I never use chemicals on my kids, but as long as I'm using the right comb ( and remember to do it in or after the bath) we're good.

mommy2379

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:52 pm
You can also lather her hair up with conditioner and then comb her out in the bath, people say that helps...

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 3:27 pm
mommy2379 wrote:
You can also lather her hair up with conditioner and then comb her out in the bath, people say that helps...

This is how the "lice ladies" in brooklyn say to do it. You can also wash hair with tea tree added to whatever u normally wash hair with. Careful to avoid eyes and nose!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 3:30 pm
We tried everything, until we found neem oil. You can get it at a health food store.

Mix it half and half with a really slippery conditioner, and leave it on the hair overnight. Neem is totally safe even for babies, doesn't taste good, and will kill lice. It even poisons the eggs. Bonus, it makes an excellent mosquito repellent. I use it to keep fleas off of really young kittens and puppies, too.

People in India chew the leaves every day, and swear that they never get mosquito bites or lice.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 3:36 pm
We use mint mouth wash. Lice do not like mint. So I have sprayed my daughter's hair with a LOOOT of mouth wash and then let her sit for a few hours with a shower cap over it all (I usually let her watch something to distract her) then she showers and we brush it out. Something about the mint kills them.

Petra

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:07 pm
We used the olive oil remedy. It's such a pain but non-toxic.

Depending on the level of lice infestation will determine frequency of nightly treatments. I can't remember exactly what the protocol was. the following is to the best of my recollection.

For active lice infestation, the whole head has to be drenched in olive oil. More oil than you think. Almost to the point of dripping. And then the hair is combed with nit comb. The oil helps loosen nits and then remove the bugs as well. Kid goes to bed with head covered in oil and then it's washed in the morning. Dawn Dish Detergent used to remove the oil (as regular shampoo isn't strong enough).

This process is repeated every other night for a week and then 3 x per week for a few weeks and then 2 x per week for a week or so and then maybe 1 x the last week.

For family with contact but no lice, they also need to be treated but I think it was for 3x per week for a week or two and then once or twice thereafter.

All bedding, clothing and anything else that comes in contact with head or hair needs to be washed in hot washer cycle.

rydys

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:55 pm
try coating the head and scalp with margarine, put on a shower cap overnight, then wash and comb out several times

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:31 pm
Nisska comb with Pantene conditioner is what lice lady in bp told me. Very few nits left after combing through with that

piece

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:26 pm
I second olive oil. drench hair & leave for 45 mins.
rinse with dish washing liquid & comb out.
yes, all fam members shld do the same.
repeat exactly a week later.
hatzlocha!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:31 pm
Assy 2000 comb.
High fat mayonnaise slathered in to the scalp and left in for four hours. Cover with a shower cap.
Comb it out before washing it out.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:38 pm
a really good comb and conditioner. No need to comb daily, I think every 2 to 3 days is needed.

jewwoman

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 3:19 pm
Tea tree shampoo. Lice apparently hate the smell. Its strong but u get used it to.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 3:41 pm
Get the nit-free terminator lice comb. Put something slippery over the entire head and hair to slow down/paralyze the lice --- either conditioner or olive oil. (If using conditioner, I need to dampen the hair first, otherwise I can't comb through.) Then start combing through very carefully, small section by small section. You need to go through the entire head; you can't afford to miss any spots. With long, thick hair, the comb-through process can easily take 1.5 hours.

Every time you comb, wipe the comb on a white paper towel. You will see the lice and some nits come off.

You need to do this every two-three days for a few weeks. This is because even if you get every single louse when you do the comb through, you will not get every single nit. The nits left on the head will hatch, and there will be more lice. By combing through every two days, you make sure you get the lice before they can lay their own eggs. Eggs hatch in 7-9 days, so if you do a perfect job, 9 days should be sufficient, but it's hard to do a perfect job, so realistically, you won't interrupt every louse's life cycle. That's why two or three weeks are necessary to get rid of everything.

Even if you were to use a toxic shampoo, it would kill the lice, not the eggs. So your daughter's head would be reinfested with lice in a week. You need to do the repeated combing through.

This sounds daunting. But many of us have been through this with our kids, and have prevailed. Good luck.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 3:44 pm
rub 4 sticks of margarine into the hair. wrap it in saran wrap. put a bathing cap over it. keep it like that for 8-12 hours. unwrap and wash with dish soap to get out the grease.

use a lice comb to get out the dead lice.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 7:46 pm
Deleted double post

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 13 2017, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Nisska comb with Pantene conditioner is what lice lady in bp told me. Very few nits left after combing through with that

There are some good videos on YouTube that demonstrates using this combing method. I've tried this myself and it worked like a charm

Miri7

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:22 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Get the nit-free terminator lice comb. Put something slippery over the entire head and hair to slow down/paralyze the lice --- either conditioner or olive oil. (If using conditioner, I need to dampen the hair first, otherwise I can't comb through.) Then start combing through very carefully, small section by small section. You need to go through the entire head; you can't afford to miss any spots. With long, thick hair, the comb-through process can easily take 1.5 hours.

Every time you comb, wipe the comb on a white paper towel. You will see the lice and some nits come off.

You need to do this every two-three days for a few weeks. This is because even if you get every single louse when you do the comb through, you will not get every single nit. The nits left on the head will hatch, and there will be more lice. By combing through every two days, you make sure you get the lice before they can lay their own eggs. Eggs hatch in 7-9 days, so if you do a perfect job, 9 days should be sufficient, but it's hard to do a perfect job, so realistically, you won't interrupt every louse's life cycle. That's why two or three weeks are necessary to get rid of everything.

Even if you were to use a toxic shampoo, it would kill the lice, not the eggs. So your daughter's head would be reinfested with lice in a week. You need to do the repeated combing through.

This sounds daunting. But many of us have been through this with our kids, and have prevailed. Good luck.

My DS came home with lice from preschool. I was convinced we were going to have an infestation with the other kids too.

I did the laundry thing.

Then I did what JoyInTheMorning did. I put on videos, sat each kid down with a bright desk light, and combed and combed. I slathered the hair with tea tree oil conditioner, wiping the comb each time on a paper towel soaked in alcohol. We don't usually watch TV, but I put shows on to keep them still in the chair.

I did each kid every other day for about 10 days. My son didn't relapse and no other kids got it.

the key is having a really good comb - I used the same one, NitFree Terminator. I've saved it all these years because it worked so well!

Mommastuff

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:27 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Assy 2000 comb.
High fat mayonnaise slathered in to the scalp and left in for four hours. Cover with a shower cap.
Comb it out before washing it out.

This is what I heard years ago

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 3:20 pm
Thanks everyone! We used the Assy 200 comb (like the terminator comb) 1-2 times a day and everything was gone within a week (wasn't such a bad case to begin with). Though I'll continue to comb out for another week or two just in case I missed anything. . .

I'm going to file away some of these ideas for another time though (because we all know there's no way to avoid lice in this country).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics