Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why do they need to do this??!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:58 am
Ruchel wrote:
My kids would love that to exist. Why do people send to camps they don't trust?

First of all, I am a nervous person and I don't trust any camp.

Second of all, as I mentioned, I go to a bungalow colony. This is the camp.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 9:37 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
First of all, I am a nervous person and I don't trust any camp.

Second of all, as I mentioned, I go to a bungalow colony. This is the camp.

Why does going to a bungalow colony mean that the kids have to join in the day camp?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 9:50 am
My 9 year old DD is going on such a trip today - they are expected back at 9:45, which will likely run late (my guess). And this is not the first time - she had this last year and two years ago as well.

I wish it wasn't so late, but TTYTT this child absolutely adores water parks. It gives her her sensory stimulation for the year!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:03 am
I went to bungalows and there was no camp, just kids playing around.
But, you can just say no either to camp altogether or to this activity.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:07 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Bh, my precious babies are safe in bed!

I HATE THESE TRIPS!!!!!!!

Shrug. So don't send them to camp that day. Its really that easy.

Most camps don't want to take the kids to a water park while its open to the public, as its too difficult to keep track of the kids, not to mention the lack of control over who else is there. So they -- individually or with some other camps -- rent out the park after hours, whether that means 7 pm when the park usually closes, or they arrange for the park to close at 5 pm to accommodate them. Most kids love it. Some don't. But its simply not possible to do during the day.

If I had to worry that the camp would leave my kids behind at the end of a trip, they wouldn't be going to that camp, ever, as it would be a clear sign that the camp lacks basic competency and skills (like counting the number of kids, and having counselors who know their kids).

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:08 am
Ruchel wrote:
I went to bungalows and there was no camp, just kids playing around.
But, you can just say no either to camp altogether or to this activity.

I most definitely could. But I'm choosing not to single my children out and give them a miserable childhood. Doesn't mean I have to like the trips.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:09 am
it's not so easy to just say no. The kids want to go and be the same as their friends. Unless there is a major reason to send to a different colony I.e. hashkafa or the like, usually you send to the camp that you are in and it's not to be taken lightly for the kids to be "different" and not go because the mother is nervous.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:13 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Shrug. So don't send them to camp that day. Its really that easy.

Most camps don't want to take the kids to a water park while its open to the public, as its too difficult to keep track of the kids, not to mention the lack of control over who else is there. So they -- individually or with some other camps -- rent out the park after hours, whether that means 7 pm when the park usually closes, or they arrange for the park to close at 5 pm to accommodate them. Most kids love it. Some don't. But its simply not possible to do during the day.

If I had to worry that the camp would leave my kids behind at the end of a trip, they wouldn't be going to that camp, ever, as it would be a clear sign that the camp lacks basic competency and skills (like counting the number of kids, and having counselors who know their kids).

I'm not going to exclude my children from a trip that everybody is doing. And obviously if I thought they weren't counting the kids and taking attendance I wouldn't let them go. But mistakes can happen. It's late, it's dark. A kid can play a practical joke and yell "here" for his friend. I'm a worrier. I can't help it. I'm not going to exclude my kids from the trip, but I'm not going to like it, and I'm going to complain. Can't a girl just vent every once in a while?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:13 am
Fabulous wrote:
it's not so easy to just say no. The kids want to go and be the same as their friends. Unless there is a major reason to send to a different colony I.e. hashkafa or the like, usually you send to the camp that you are in and it's not to be taken lightly for the kids to be "different" and not go because the mother is nervous.

Thank you. I wouldn't think this is so hard to understand.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
Why does going to a bungalow colony mean that the kids have to join in the day camp?

It just does. Do you really think it's appropriate to turn your children into outcasts?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:16 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Thank you. I wouldn't think this is so hard to understand.

I think people that didn't grow up with the concept of the bungalow colony just have a hard time understanding. I didn't go growing up, but I have friends who did and go now and I know exactly they feeling you have. The first time I sent my son to a "big" camp, I felt the same way. I wouldn't send if I thought they were really negligent or the like, but things can happen and mommies worry.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:18 am
I'm still wondering what kind of horrifyingly dangerous things these camps are doing to your kids, besides messing up their bedtimes?

IMHO, summers were designed for staying up late!

ETA: I just read that it's at a water park. So what terrible thing do you think is going to happen? If your kids can't swim, don't send them. If you don't trust the counselors, you really need to think about your priorites.

You can always ask if you can go along as a chaperone to help watch the other kids. Just don't chaperone your own kids, or they will die of embarrassment. At least you'll be in the same park with them.

IMHO, 8 and 10 is old enough to go on a chaperoned trip to a closed and fenced facility.

Do you realize they they are in greater danger riding in your own car, than they are playing in a park? Every time you take them on the road, you are putting their lives at risk.

It's OK to worry about your kids, but worry about things that actually have a large chance of happening. People worry about their kids getting the mumps, they don't worry about their kids getting Ebola!

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:19 am
Fabulous wrote:
I think people that didn't grow up with the concept of the bungalow colony just have a hard time understanding. I didn't go growing up, but I have friends who did and go now and I know exactly they feeling you have. The first time I sent my son to a "big" camp, I felt the same way. I wouldn't send if I thought they were really negligent or the like, but things can happen and mommies worry.

You're right. I don't get it.

People here talk about going to the bungalow colonies because it allows their kids to run around freely all day. If they're really going to day camp, why is that any different from staying in the City and attending camp?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:22 am
We're not in a bungalow colony, home as usual, kids in a good day camp BH. But this Mommy always worries!

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm still wondering what kind of horrifyingly dangerous things these camps are doing to your kids, besides messing up their bedtimes?

ETA: I just read that it's at a water park. So what terrible thing do you think is going to happen? If your kids can't swim, don't send them. If you don't trust the counselors, you really need to think about your priorites.

You can always ask if you can go along as a chaperone to help watch the other kids. Just don't chaperone your own kids, or they will die of embarrassment. At least you'll be in the same park with them.

IMHO, 8 and 10 is old enough to go on a chaperoned trip to a closed and fenced facility.

Do you realize they they are in greater danger riding in your own car, than they are playing in a park? Every time you take them on the road, you are putting their lives at risk.

It's OK to worry about your kids, but worry about things that actually have a large chance of happening. People worry about their kids getting the mumps, they don't worry about their kids getting Ebola!

One of my kids went to a day camp where they had a major trip to a water park that was 2.5 hours of traveling time each way. The kids got home crazy late and it was for ages six and a half and up. I don't think it makes sense for a six year old to travel five hours in one day and arrive home hours after their bedtime (11 PM)! The kids can't handle it physically and emotionally. The little ones come home crying and tired.My kid chose to stay home until she was older but I think it's ridiculous that camps are doing this in the first place. I'm glad I didn't have to make the responsible decision for her, but for a kid that really wants to go, I'm not sure that I would want to make them stay home. That is unfair.All the day camps are trying to compete with each other, and they're just going overboard.

Last edited by cnc on Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I actually WAS worrying a lot of about the bus crashing last night. I hate those pitch black, winding roads.

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:35 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I actually WAS worrying a lot of about the bus crashing last night. I hate those pitch black, winding roads.

Yes. It not unheard of. A bus did already crash/ roll over this summer . There are crazy stories every single summer in this hood of town.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:38 am
My sons camp has a late night for grades 2-7 a couple times a summer. They get back around 10:30. I think it should be for the middle school boys only. I would not want my second grader coming home close to 11pm and getting up for camp the next day. I can definitely relate. I trust that they are safe but I think an 8 year old needs a reasonable nights sleep.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:52 am
Chayalle wrote:
My 9 year old DD is going on such a trip today - they are expected back at 9:45, which will likely run late (my guess). And this is not the first time - she had this last year and two years ago as well.

I wish it wasn't so late, but TTYTT this child absolutely adores water parks. It gives her her sensory stimulation for the year!

Let her enjoy! My dd is missing the trip because she got stitches that need to heal.

kenz

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:54 am
Many of you are missing the point completely. Within the last few years it became the "in" thing to have late nights in all day camps, city and country. It used to be a late night meant getting home at 6 instead of 5. No one would be freaking out about that. Now, they are all competing with each other, and the late nights mean young kids getting home as late as 10, 11, or later. As others are explaining, you don't want your child to be punished by forcing him to stay home because you're a worrier. That said, you don't have to like it.
A few years ago, my children went to a new day camp in the city that decided to outdo everyone else and make an overnight trip - which meant, not just getting home late, but getting home late THE NEXT DAY. All kids from age 8 and up were taken on an overnight - they went boating, slept overnight in some big empty shul, went to an ice cream store... Don't get me wrong, the kids had a blast, but this particular day camp was extremely tzefloigen - it only lasted one year - and you bet something could have gone wrong. B"H nothing did, but I was a nervous wreck till they got home. It's perfectly understandable for mothers to both allow their kids to go on a trip that makes them nervous while remaining nervous the entire time.
Actually, isn't that just the definition of motherhood? Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children