Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why do they need to do this??!!!
Previous  1  2  3

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:56 am
kenz wrote:
Many of you are missing the point completely. Within the last few years it became the "in" thing to have late nights in all day camps, city and country. It used to be a late night meant getting home at 6 instead of 5. No one would be freaking out about that. Now, they are all competing with each other, and the late nights mean young kids getting home as late as 10, 11, or later. As others are explaining, you don't want your child to be punished by forcing him to stay home because you're a worrier. That said, you don't have to like it.
A few years ago, my children went to a new day camp in the city that decided to outdo everyone else and make an overnight trip - which meant, not just getting home late, but getting home late THE NEXT DAY. All kids from age 8 and up were taken on an overnight - they went boating, slept overnight in some big empty shul, went to an ice cream store... Don't get me wrong, the kids had a blast, but this particular day camp was extremely tzefloigen - it only lasted one year - and you bet something could have gone wrong. B"H nothing did, but I was a nervous wreck till they got home. It's perfectly understandable for mothers to both allow their kids to go on a trip that makes them nervous while remaining nervous the entire time.
Actually, isn't that just the definition of motherhood? Smile

Very well said. I always laugh when I post a simple vent and come out with a mouthful of Mussar from everyone

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:01 am
Simple1 wrote:
Let her enjoy! My dd is missing the trip because she got stitches that need to heal.

So sorry! My DD lives for this trip - it's like she goes to daycamp just for this! Refuah Shelaima to your DD.

If I'm a bundle of nerves tonight (and I'm done my Shabbos cooking) I can sign in here and vent!

kenz

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:03 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Very well said. I always laugh when I post a simple vent and come out with a mouthful of Mussar from everyone

Absolutely. A few years ago I posted a question about the best place to buy water bottles for my daughter in camp - it turned into 4 pages of mussar about how she is spoiled rotten and let her drink from the sink, etc., etc. I asked a simple question, not for advice on how to raise my (lovely) child.
Yet we keep coming back for more. Very Happy

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:14 am
kenz wrote:
Absolutely. A few years ago I posted a question about the best place to buy water bottles for my daughter in camp - it turned into 4 pages of mussar about how she is spoiled rotten and let her drink from the sink, etc., etc. I asked a simple question, not for advice on how to raise my (lovely) child.
Yet we keep coming back for more. Very Happy

Lol. I LITERALLY just burst out laughing!

Simple1

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:16 am
Chayalle wrote:
So sorry! My DD lives for this trip - it's like she goes to daycamp just for this! Refuah Shelaima to your DD.

If I'm a bundle of nerves tonight (and I'm done my Shabbos cooking) I can sign in here and vent!

She seems to be dealing with it. I'm more bothered by it than her, I guess because she doesn't realize how much money I paid for the camp.

I used to be very nervous about trips, but they end up working out well. I usually warn my kids to stick to the group and follow instructions. Hashem is in charge of the rest. Relax and distract yourself.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:04 pm
I totally understand the OP. I'm busy stressing out about my son's one late night trip later this summer to an amusement park. Ugghhh why cant they just go somewhere local?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:07 pm
oh and I am always volunteering to chaperone trips even though I work full time. Its better for my poor nerves.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:14 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I most definitely could. But I'm choosing not to single my children out and give them a miserable childhood. Doesn't mean I have to like the trips.

My mother used to follow the bus, sit outside the venue and wait to see that her kids got back on. Then followed back!

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jul 14 2017, 12:27 am
causemommysaid wrote:
oh and I am always volunteering to chaperone trips even though I work full time. Its better for my poor nerves.

Me too! But in this case I have a baby. I was not volunteering to go on a school bus for 5 hours with a baby and get home at 12:00 at night.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children