Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Young age, low prescription, tight budget - wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:12 pm
The doctor prescribed glasses for my preschool and first grade kids. The numbers are pretty low, in the 200 range for both of them. Glasses are expensive and annoying! I don't want the first grader to struggle with reading so that pair is a priority. Does a preschooler really need glasses if it's such a low prescription? Am I a neglectful mother for opting to wait a few months, reexamine, and decide then if it's necessary?

bsy

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:14 pm
That is not such a low prescription....it can make a significant difference. Where are you located? There are plenty of cheap glasses stores.

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:16 pm
Near or farsighted? 200 in nearsightedness is not that low. If the preschooler is *only* farsighted, make sure he does not have astigmatism as well, I might go for another opinion. 200 is pretty low in + numbers and he might not want to wear them anyway. But if the second doctor gives around the same script I would get the glasses and make sure he wears them.

Also, check if there are any frames covered by your insurance.

heidi

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:18 pm
Unless you are a doctor,and thus capable of forming a valid second opinion, if your child is prescribed glasses, it is negligent not to get them for him. Even if he is "just" in preschool, he needs to be able to see to learn and socialize properly.
If your budget is so tight that you are seriously considering neglecting your child's basic needs, please think very very carefully before having more children.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:20 pm
The doctor said they are farsighted, which means it's primarily for reading. As I said the first grader needs it but the preschooler colors and cuts very nicely seemingly without strain.

I have to find out if a second opinion is covered by insurance but frames certainly aren't. I need to wait till the next enrollment cycle to switch plans to something with better coverage.

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:20 pm
There are also a few websites where you can get a pair for under $30.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
The doctor said they are farsighted, which means it's primarily for reading. As I said the first grader needs it but the preschooler colors and cuts very nicely seemingly without strain.

I have to find out if a second opinion is covered by insurance but frames certainly aren't. I need to wait till the next enrollment cycle to switch plans to something with better coverage.

My two year old is farsighted. He is in glasses since he is an infant. I was shocked when the doctor came out with his script because ds was picking crumbs off the floor at that point. The doctor explained to me that kids brains are able to work overtime in cases like this.

eta nowadays he is extremely protective over his glasses and gets upset any time anyone touches them. which goes to show how much he needs them

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:25 pm
heidi wrote:
Unless you are a doctor,and thus capable of forming a valid second opinion, if your child is prescribed glasses, it is negligent not to get them for him. Even if he is "just" in preschool, he needs to be able to see to learn and socialize properly.
If your budget is so tight that you are seriously considering neglecting your child's basic needs, please think very very carefully before having more children.

Oh believe me I'm done... But the ones I have are mine to take care of and buying glasses for one child might mean not having enough money to buy something more important for that child or a sibling. That's why my question basically is, how important is such a low prescription for a kid this young? Especially if they're not learning to read, nor is DC struggling or complaining.

I asked the doctor if it's really necessary, and how bad it is to wait a year. He said he wouldn't wait a year but I can come back in six months. He wasn't very happy about it though.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
My two year old is farsighted. He is in glasses since he is an infant. I was shocked when the doctor came out with his script because ds was picking crumbs off the floor at that point. The doctor explained to me that kids brains are able to work overtime in cases like this.

With my youngest I didn't doubt for a second that it was important. I saw the child was bumping into things and leaning in to books when I read to them. The prescription is high, and wierd because of astigmatism, and the lens is super expensive but I knew I had no choice. The older ones' prescriptions are so mild in comparison that I am not sure of the urgency.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:29 pm
Stars wrote:
There are also a few websites where you can get a pair for under $30.

Please share.

Also, how does size and fit work over the internet? It's not like shoes that you can order 5 and ship back 4.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
With my youngest I didn't doubt for a second that it was important. I saw the child was bumping into things and leaning in to books when I read to them. The prescription is high, and wierd because of astigmatism, and the lens is super expensive but I knew I had no choice. The older ones' prescriptions are so mild in comparison that I am not sure of the urgency.

I know this is hard for you but IMHO any time a doctor issues a script it's not optional

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:33 pm
My dd was farsighted and the Dr said if she wasn't having issues at home or in school I could hold off getting glasses because it sometimes corrects itself. Ask the original doctor if it's necessary or if it's ok to wait and see.

If you live in the NY area Minzers in Boro Park and Refuah in Monsey have very cheap glasses. You can also buy online but I prefer to try on, especially if it's a first pair.

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
Please share.

Also, how does size and fit work over the internet? It's not like shoes that you can order 5 and ship back 4.

Zenni has a couple frames that would fit a preschooler. Another option is ordering frames from Ali express or amazon and having them filled at walmart, target or costco.

Sizing is a bit complicated but there definitely is a way to go about it. There are some websites that offer try on kits. Would you like to pm me? I can help you more specifically later tonight.

heidi

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
Oh believe me I'm done... But the ones I have are mine to take care of and buying glasses for one child might mean not having enough money to buy something more important for that child or a sibling. That's why my question basically is, how important is such a low prescription for a kid this young? Especially if they're not learning to read, nor is DC struggling or complaining.

I asked the doctor if it's really necessary, and how bad it is to wait a year. He said he wouldn't wait a year but I can come back in six months. He wasn't very happy about it though.

I don't know where you live, but please ask your doctor if there are subsidies for low income families to provide glasses. I know a lot of social service organizations have this-- sometimes even they provide the frames and you just have to pay for the lenses .
Good luck

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 3:20 pm
Zenni

gdgirl

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 3:37 pm
eyebuydirect.com
theo should be right size for average 4 to 5 year old and under 15 dollars with basic lenses. can get coupon code as new buyer and even cheaper and great return policy. you just need pd number from your eye dr. my son had these for a while and now ordering again. any other questions? ask away.
do get the glasses!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:50 pm
Give your child the glasses.
He can outgrow wearing them if monitored correctly by a doctor.
My son got about the same prescription in kindergarten and had perfect eye sight by third grade, Baruch Hashem

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:52 pm
Call your local Lions club. They have been furnishing eyeglasses to low income people for generations. It is their major public outreach.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:05 pm
If it's less than 300 you don't need glasses as of yet I am at 275 and I manage fine I just use it for the computers I recommend zennioptical.com or goggles4u.com

marina

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:20 pm
another vote for http://www.zennioptical.com/

I get all my kids' glasses there- 20$ for the whole thing including lenses and I don't stress if they sit on them or whatever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics