Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Our yard has become the shortcut
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:21 am
Not too long ago we moved to a nice quiet block with almost no frum Jews; our property includes the area around the end of the of the cul de sac so that we have a lot of privacy. Which is what we thought when we purchased the house. However within a few months quite a few frum families moved in and began cutting thru the cul de sac to get to the next block. They are essentially walking thru my front yard. At the beginning it wasn't a big deal as there were so few people living here. Now there are just throngs of people walking straight across our yard without even seeming to care that this is private property. We don't want to be the jerks who make everyone walk around the block (it's a very long block) but it's really become out of control. My husband keeps asking me if he can tell everyone that it bothers his wife so they need to stop, but I don't feel like it's fair for him to put the blame on me. In fact I think his constant asking if it bothers me is what made me hyperaware of it. He said he actually tried mentioning to one of the neighbors that it's ruining the grass to which the neighbor replied no look at the grass we're not ruining it Rolling Eyes

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:22 am
Good fences make good neighbors.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:30 am
amother wrote:
Good fences make good neighbors.

I came to say the same thing.
It's a worthwhile investment. For your lawn. For your peace of mind.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:32 am
A little walk around the block never hurt anyone. If you don't like it put up a fence.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:33 am
Put up a fence. We did and were much happier.
Or you can plant bushes around the perimeter.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:34 am
Very unfair for you guys. Just wondering why your husband said that it's ruining the grass when it probably isn't ruining the grass? Even if it's happening 5x a day, While annoying and unfair, it shouldn't actually be ruining the grass.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:34 am
This would add fifteen minutes for some people.... and the kids wouldn't be able to run to friends on their own.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:35 am
amother wrote:
Very unfair for you guys. Just wondering why your husband said that it's ruining the grass when it probably isn't ruining the grass? Even if it's happening 5x a day, While annoying and unfair, it shouldn't actually be ruining the grass.

He is concerned that when so many people cut across the same spot on a constant basis it will ruin that spot

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:36 am
amother wrote:
This would add fifteen minutes for some people.... and the kids wouldn't be able to run to friends on their own.

Doesn't matter. If it's your property, it's your right.

crust

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:36 am
When my neighbors blocked the shortcut next to thier house, literally the entire area was fuming at them. It went to bezdin, if I remember correctly. They won because it was open for less than 3 years.
I dont know exactly, but after 3 years, the shortcut can get a the Chazoka of a r'shis that the rabim passes frequently and therefore you will not be allowed to block it even though you are the owner.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:37 am
crust wrote:
When my neighbors blocked the shortcut next to thier house, literally the entire area was fuming at them. It went to bezdin, if I remember correctly. They won because it was open for less than 3 years.
I dont know exactly, but after 3 years, the shortcut can get a the Chazoka of a r'shis that the rabim passes frequently and therefore you will not be allowed to block it even though you are the owner.

Hurry up, and do something before 3 years Wink

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:39 am
Not necessarily looking to be right and don't want to completely inconvenience everyone else... but....

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:39 am
So that's not your problem. A family member of mine recently bought a house that is also a shortcut and when they move in they will be putting a fence up which will make it not possible anymore. You do what you gotta do.
It's your property you can decide

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:40 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Hurry up, and do something before 3 years Wink

Haha was going to screenshot that post to send to my husband so we could do something while we still have a chance LOL

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:41 am
crust wrote:

Fuming? Do people really think they have a right to other people's private property????

Put up a fence. My mils property became a big shortcut, she put a fence, the neighbors started going on the other side of the house, (4 family house) the people living there didn't care, the even paved a pathway. There is jo grass and always a mess.
Put up a fence tomorrow.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:41 am
We don't want to turn this into a battle with the neighbors. We really would like to keep the peace while somehow still maintaining our privacy. Perhaps that is not possible?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:43 am
amother wrote:
Not necessarily looking to be right and don't want to completely inconvenience everyone else... but....

If it's going to bother you, and continue bothering you, this is the only solution I see.
Telling people not to cut across is not such a convenient solution (there will always be people who didn't get the message or forget etc), and it's not the most diplomatic. Putting up a fence is a onetime deal; people may be annoyed for a short while but they'll soon forget there was ever a shortcut through your yard.
We had a very similar situation, with people cutting across our property all the time, so we put a fence in the front and back (it's unusual in our area for people to put fences in the front of the houses but we felt we needed to). Now we never get upset at people! That's a nice part of having a fence

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:46 am
Just make sure the fence is high enough to discourage climbing, and picket is probably better than chain-link. BTDT- our yard became the de-facto shortcut once the neighborhood became more right-wing, despite the chain-link fence that had always been up.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:46 am
amother wrote:
We don't want to turn this into a battle with the neighbors. We really would like to keep the peace while somehow still maintaining our privacy. Perhaps that is not possible?

If privacy is the issue, put up dark curtains, and don't sit on your front porch.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:47 am
amother wrote:

You sound like me. I have a hard time standing up for myself at someone else's expense. For example, I had a cleaning lady who was very inconvenient for me because I had to drive her home or pay for her can, and she wasn't the best cleaner... But for the longest time I felt like I had to keep using her because I felt bad putting her out of a job. (I finally did tell her I no longer need her, and I use someone with her own transportation who is a fabulous cleaner, and I'm so much happier).
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette