Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Our yard has become the shortcut
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

icebreaker

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:37 am
I agree with everyone on the fence issue. Put one up and be done with it. Whoever gets mad, oh well.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:44 am
Just fyi, a fence/lock won't stop everyone.
Ppl still climb our fence, even with posted signs and verbal requests not to and pick the lock on our gate all the time.
I hate it, ruins my privacy, makes me feel unsafe wondering who is in my yard at night, and nervous for my kids bec we live right next to a very busy long driveway.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:50 am
If normal ways of expressing yourself don't work, put up a picture of a security camera with the words, "trespassers will be prosecuted /reported".

Have a kids sit outside with a little chair and table charging a toll.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
Good fences make good neighbors.

Exactly what I was about to say.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
If privacy is the issue, put up dark curtains, and don't sit on your front porch.

Why should they be imprisoned because they have uncivilized neighbors who don't respect private property? Some may say putting up a fence is also a form of self imprisonment but it's a much lighter form than dwelling in a cave.

The property is theirs. People who have been trespassing for years have been getting away with a minor crime. Time they stopped. It's not OP's problem that they have a longer walk. OP has not created a longer walk for them; they were previously illegally availing themselves of a shorter walk to which they had no right.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 12:37 pm
Is there such a thing as a robodog that looks and sounds realistically aggressive but won't actually bite? Maybe a hologram with audio?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 12:48 pm
Funny that someone mentioned the bet din case bc the first thing that popped into my head were law school cases on easements and people's properties.

I'm sure it varies by state, but it someone uses your property long enough as an easement without your permission, then after a while the public can have rights to it.

One way out of this is to grant them permission to use it temporarily. Because in order to acquire it, it has to be "adversely" possessed, if you grant permission, it loses that adverse element. (Also, it matters how people were using that land before you bought the property. If this is how the land has been used for years, the easement may have already existed, in which case you bought the property with the easement.)

A quick Google took me to this page- you can scroll to the bottom for easements. I have no idea how 100% accurate this site is and laws can vary by state, but it can give you an overview of the issues you could be dealing with.

http://www.moeland.com/adverse.htm

silbergirl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:07 pm
Put up a fence! Really, its your property, you are paying for it. In addition to maybe or not maybe ruining your plants, the main issue is the lack of privacy. You cannot let your kids play in your own yard or sit in your own yard without a bunch of people crossing through it. And I would also consider it a security risk. Put up a fence. It is your property. Make people walk around the block. In virtually all other countries in the world, fences are the norm and private property is respected. Noone would even dare to walk through someone elses garden in the UK or Central Europe or Israel...

Orchid

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
Funny that someone mentioned the bet din case bc the first thing that popped into my head were law school cases on easements and people's properties.

I'm sure it varies by state, but it someone uses your property long enough as an easement without your permission, then after a while the public can have rights to it.

One way out of this is to grant them permission to use it temporarily. Because in order to acquire it, it has to be "adversely" possessed, if you grant permission, it loses that adverse element. (Also, it matters how people were using that land before you bought the property. If this is how the land has been used for years, the easement may have already existed, in which case you bought the property with the easement.)

A quick Google took me to this page- you can scroll to the bottom for easements. I have no idea how 100% accurate this site is and laws can vary by state, but it can give you an overview of the issues you could be dealing with.

http://www.moeland.com/adverse.htm

Also, you will have a hard time selling a house that is known as a public cut-through. Nip it now.

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:19 pm
Orchid wrote:
Also, you will have a hard time selling a house that is known as a public cut-through. Nip it now.

YOU don't want to get involved in the legal route or a BD. Both are expensive and time consuming. Just put up the fence and/or tell everyone that they can't shortcut through.

Don't forget, they also want good relations with their neighbors, so it is unlikely there will be hostility especially in a new neighborhood.

Once they lose their shortcut, they will be more likely to go away.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:38 pm
Do you personally know any of these people? Do you know where they live? If you do I suggest you take a folding chair a good book and a glass of tea and go squat on their lawn. Or you can talk to them. Or you can invest in a fence.

Or perhaps find the appropriate torah verse regarding trespassing and put it on a sign?

Seriously, have you talked to the people behind you? Obviously their privacy is being compromised as well. Why not have a talk with them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:41 pm
An attractive fence will greatly increase your property value (if you own), and will greatly reduce your homeowner's liability.

What if someone gets hurt on your property, and you get sued? You have the right to protect yourself.

If you really can't stomach a fence, a thick hedge of rose bushes will work just as well.

Still, with a fence, at least you can put in a gate with a lock, and decide who you allow to cut through. If your kids want a short way to get to friends, let them use the gate.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 2:42 pm
I'm cracking up from some of these responses Smile

The people on the other side of the shortcut are not Jewish and don't want to upset ppl because they want to sell their house and Jews are the most likely buyers at this point. Interestingly the neighborhood sent her a gift to thank her for letting them cut thru but I guess bec were frum they assume what's ours is theirs!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 2:56 pm
After about 3 years it becomes public property.
I know somebody who had people cut through her yard constantly so she put up a door with a combination because she didn't want it to become public property. She explained her reason to everybody who asked and everybody understood.

agreer

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 3:00 pm
Put up a fence ASAP. Don't be so nice. In the long run, you will regret it.

I know you say you don't have the money... try. Save and make it a top priority.

Good luck!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 3:45 pm
I agree, put up a fence. Fences are not cheap, but it really should help & it should add to the property value. And you can always put a key or combo lock on it.

I don't have a property that people cut through, but people walking their dogs would let their dogs do their stuff on my lawn and wouldn't pick up. After we put up a picket fence that stopped, no more doggie poop on my lawn. Also, once we put up the fence we got a lot less solicitors at my door, many would just pass because they didn't want to open the gate. Plus the gate on my property looks really nice and adds to the curb appeal.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:13 pm
How about asking neighbors to chip in to pave a path? It would be a big public service for the neighborhood and would be a friendly thing to do. I realize it's your property and you don't owe anyone anything but I think putting up a fence would make you seem petty and unfriendly.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:13 pm
I just wanted to respond to the posters saying how terrible the people are who are trespassing. We are looking to buy a house in an up and coming frum area. The realtor who is showing us houses showed us where the shortcut is to get to shul and to a nearby frum area quickly.

I would assume that these people have no idea that you have a problem with them using your property as a shortcut. Most people are good people and want to be good neighbors. Try talking to your neighbors about it, hopefully that will resolve your problem. If it's still a problem then I would recommend you put in a fence.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:34 pm
Sadly, the fence is your only option here. I've had similar issues, and people blatantly ignored me until I became a bit more confrontational, scolded them face-to-face, and scared the dickens out of them. (This was in regards to people parking inside or in front of our private driveway, and in front of the mailbox, which prompted the post office to send us a warning that they will have to put our mail delivery on hold if we do not remedy this situation. Which happened, because no amount of notes or signs got through to people. And that's when I had to get my mean hat on.)

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 8:39 pm
I know two families that had this issue. They decided to each put up a fence and leave a pathway in between so people could cut through, but only on the pathway. They put down stones and put up lights so its safe and comfortable. Mi ki amcha yisroel
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette