Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Our yard has become the shortcut
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:53 pm
naomi2 wrote:
How about asking neighbors to chip in to pave a path? It would be a big public service for the neighborhood and would be a friendly thing to do. I realize it's your property and you don't owe anyone anything but I think putting up a fence would make you seem petty and unfriendly.

Her property value would decrease because she's in essence donating a piece of her property to the public.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
I just wanted to respond to the posters saying how terrible the people are who are trespassing. We are looking to buy a house in an up and coming frum area. The realtor who is showing us houses showed us where the shortcut is to get to shul and to a nearby frum area quickly.

I would assume that these people have no idea that you have a problem with them using your property as a shortcut. Most people are good people and want to be good neighbors. Try talking to your neighbors about it, hopefully that will resolve your problem. If it's still a problem then I would recommend you put in a fence.

Who's your realtor? I have a very very strong feeling this is my block.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:
Who's your realtor? I have a very very strong feeling this is my block.

I don't feel comfortable sharing that info on here. I will say it is in Jackson, NJ.

Orchid

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
I don't feel comfortable sharing that info on here. I will say it is in Jackson, NJ.

Maybe you need to tell realtors to stop promoting your private property as "the shortcut."

Also, you absolutely need a fence. You will have people traipsing through your land while trying to put the kids to sleep Shabbos afternoon. You will have teenagers throwing beer bottles there. You will not be able to sell the house for fair value. And you will have no legal or halachic recourse unless you take action NOW.

salt

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:53 am
Haven't read all the posts so this may have been said.
If putting up a fence is too expensive, could you just put up a gate at the end of the shortcut. People will soon learn that they cannot get through.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:25 am
amother wrote:

How did I know... you can let your realtor know that it isn't a shortcut and we're putting down strict rules

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
How did I know... you can let your realtor know that it isn't a shortcut and we're putting down strict rules

So obnoxious that a realtor tells potential buyers "and here's the shortcut you can use!" without even asking if the owner is ok with it. A realtor knows FULL WELL that she's telling people to walk on private property. Anything to make a sale, I guess.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:24 am
Some time ago one of the frum magazines had a article written about a frum family that bought a house and then everyone was using the property as a shortcut...and then, some people had the audacity to request that she not sit outside at certain hours when men were more likely to be using her shortcut to go to shul!

Put up a fence ASAP. In the meantime, put up a few No Trespassing signs.

I know of someone who put up an automatic light on the side of her home (the kind that senses people and goes on automatically) so that people wouldn't shortcut on a Friday night.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:26 am
I was lying in my pool chair one shabbos in my bathing suit when a group of men walked thru the shortcut!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
I was lying in my pool chair one shabbos in my bathing suit when a group of men walked thru the shortcut!

With all due respect, why were you sitting outside in a bathing suit, shortcut or not? shock

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
With all due respect, why were you sitting outside in a bathing suit, shortcut or not? shock

By my pool?!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
By my pool?!

Okay, forgive me. I don't live in the US so I'm not part of the mentality of having a pool in the garden. If people would have pools in their back garden here then the neighbors would usually be able to see into it so there must be much bigger grounds in your parts. Even the very wealthy here don't have that.

But, I still don't understand. Are you telling me that when people walk through the shortcut in the garden they are passing by your swimming pool where there could be women swimming? How do they think that is acceptable?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:55 am
Chayalle wrote:

I know of someone who put up an automatic light on the side of her home (the kind that senses people and goes on automatically) so that people wouldn't shortcut on a Friday night.

This is the best idea!! Cheaper than a fence and far more effective. Plus OP can claim innocently that she's afraid of burglars or wild animals and she's SO SO sorry people won't be able to use her path on shabbos anymore...

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:

I thought your shock was swimming on Shabbat.

http://www.dailyhalacha.com/di.....D=727

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:13 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
This is the best idea!! Cheaper than a fence and far more effective. Plus OP can claim innocently that she's afraid of burglars or wild animals and she's SO SO sorry people won't be able to use her path on shabbos anymore...

I love the idea also, but it doesn't work for Shabbos day. And it doesn't help with her pool problem.

My Rabbi told us halacha required a really high solid fence around a pool. This is the perfect reason for OP to box in her yard.

Besides the lack of privacy, and potential destruction of her yard, she is going to have possible people judging her for sitting outisde in her bathing suit.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:09 pm
For safety, the pool should have a high fence around it (unless it has a solid cover that's installed as an alternative).

To posters wondering about OP sunbathing, I have a close friend with psoriasis who sunbathes regularly as medical treatment. It isn't an optional luxury for some.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:

Omg, you honestly should call that realtor and let them know! The only reason I see the other side of the argument is cause there is a shortcut in Baltimore I use that would really really increase the walk. It is paved so I and everyone else have assumed it is allowed. I literally have been using this shortcut for over 15 years. It would be a bummer if it was closed off.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:50 pm
I would if I knew who it was, but the poster won't tell me

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:51 am
If you have a pool, just make a large fence around your property and tell everyone you made the fence due to liabilities associated with having a pool. You're so sorry but you cannot allow people into your property, it's too much of a liability, that's all.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:55 am
amother wrote:
For safety, the pool should have a high fence around it (unless it has a solid cover that's installed as an alternative)...

Most municipalities and counties require fencing for pools. Certainly the ins. carrier would also have specifics as to their requirements for fencing.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette