Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DD is embarrassed: should I quit?
Previous  1  2

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:24 pm
Why don't you ask her which option she prefers?

Seriously

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 8:43 pm
My mom was offered a job in my school. When she told me I cried. She was so hurt but she didn't take the job. I feel guilty still...but it would have been horrible for me

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:54 pm
Most girls sit out during their mother's lessons and even then it could affect them because the girls discuss their teachrs in front of the daughter. My mother subbed my class in 5th grade for 2 months. I hated it!

perquacky

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:47 pm
You're the music teacher, not the regular classroom teacher. You daughter would have your class once or twice a week, I'm guessing. Part of growing up is being equally proud and embarrassed of our parents. If you want the job, you should take it. Your daughter will have to learn to deal with it, and you may have to put up with a lot of eye rolling, but don't we put up with that from our teenage daughters anyway? Her friends will probably think it's cool, even if she doesn't.
I was always jealous of my friends whose mothers worked in our school, whether they were teachers, office staff, or lunch ladies. Your daughter will get to see what you do and may learn to appreciate you more.
And if not, well, how many more years will she be in that school? Her torture will end eventually.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:56 pm
There was a girl in my class whose mother taught 12th grade in my high school, and she took a year off when we were seniors. But I think that's an unusual move.....

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:34 pm
Of course you're daughter is embarrassed by you. Kids that age want everyone to think that they hatched full grown in the forest. The very existence of parents is embarrassing. Don't sweat it.

No, I would not quit my job over this. She'll still be embarrassed. And she'll learn that she's the center of the universe and that even adults should bow to her whim. Particularly where you're not a lead teacher, I wouldn't worry.

I know lots and lots of people who had parents as teachers, or teaching in their schools. My cousins did, and no one much cared for their mothers. Several parents teach in our school, and all go through the experience of having their kids, or their kids friends. I even had a close friend's fiance's father in grad school, and he was known to be nasty, we just never said that in front of her fiance.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:56 pm
I taught home ec for a few years in my dd's school. It was a once a week class and all the girls loved it-including dd. Then I got a full time job, and stopped teaching. When my next dd was in the school she complained that I wasn't there to teach her.

So some kids do like their parents as teachers. Especially when they are the "fun" classes-which is what mine were considered.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics