Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
High risk ob?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:12 am
I'm 7 pregnant with twins and I'm wondering if a high risk dr is a must. By my previous pregnancies I used bp obgyn and was very happy, although they dont have the best reputation. I could use guidance to which ob or high risk specializes in twin pregnancies and natural deliveries. I'm in Brooklyn.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 5:36 am
I'm using a regular ob for twins. Sometimes they send me for ultrasounds at a high risk place (like my 20 week ultrasound) only because of other health issues I have, but other than that I can use them unless a problem develops. Your ob should know their limits and refer you to high risk if necessary. Bshaa Tova!!!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:05 am
I used Boro Park Obgyn with my twins. They'll recommend you to use dr troper as he has the most experience with twins (and I highly recommend him either way).

esuss

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:58 am
If your twins are mono/di or mono/mono in other words identical twins you should find a high risk Doctor to follow you. Non-identical twins are not as risky and any doctor experienced with twins is fine.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:08 pm
esuss wrote:
If your twins are mono/di or mono/mono in other words identical twins you should find a high risk Doctor to follow you. Non-identical twins are not as risky and any doctor experienced with twins is fine.

Totally agree. Identical twins are really considered high risk and I wouldn't trust a standard OB. If you are having fraternal twins, a regular, experienced doctor should be fine. I will say that while you may only need a bit more monitoring during the pregancy, the delivery may be a bit more complicated. It is fairly common that the 2nd baby is breech. You need a doctor who is confident during such a delivery.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:30 pm
I am right now in the same situation. does anyone know of a regular ob that is good and experienced with twins? like is any group fine with twinss? the shwartz group or klinger group?
high risk ob's dont take insurance.
Guidance would be appreciated, as these twins came as a complete surprise and dont know where to turn? I was unhappy with my ob with my previous pregnancy, so am not going back there anyway. I was hoping to swtich to the klinger group for this pregnancy, but now that twins showed up, im uneasy about them for twins. anyone any experience with this group for twins?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:43 pm
You need to be prepared to have a C-section with this doctor. My sister-in-law had twins with a regular OB and her C-section was done by a different doctor who was on call then (her waters broke at 38 weeks so she went int.) She was not happy with the surgery and her recovery. Anybody can cut. You want someone who does it skillfully.

My sister used Dr. Abdalek. He takes some insurance but not hers so she paid (a lot!) out of pocket. But she claims it was 10000% worth it. He takes risks no other doctor would (stuck in his hand to deliver the second breech twin) but when it comes to it, if a C-section is necessary, he is great at that too.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:58 pm
I have twins.
When I was expecting, I called a few referral agencies and they did tell me that this is the type of thing that " u get what u pay for".
I did pay cash, and the dr was on top of everything, from blood test results to non stress tests,and all my concerns and calls. The delivery was absolutely fantastic and it was vaginal. By the end my bp Climbed up and the dr got the babies out at the right moment (induction). He was with me the whole time.
We all come home happily after 2 days.
I don't know about dr klinger.
Bpobgyn did not want to deliver vaginally. I had children by them before, and I was very happy with their service.
Having a c section was a deal breaker for me, and for being such a big group,I'm not sure I would get the same service as I got by a sole practitioner, specially by the end with the non stress tests and bp issues.
Good luck on your decision!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:09 pm
Just to add, I understand that there are situations that a c section is necessary, but I would like to chance to deliver vaginally if everything was in that direction. With that group, I would not have such a chance.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:15 pm
Dr troper of Bp Obgyn (Schwartz group) will attempt vaginal delivery if the first twin is heads down regardless of the position of baby b. But dr Roth at the group will only do it if both are heads down. Point is, in any group, each doctor will have their individual comfort level usually based on experience. If you're induced, they'll time it for when the preferred doctor is on call.

Dr troper is an excellent doctor and a mentch.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:17 pm
My first pregnancy was twins. I ended up selecting an ob who wasn't exclusively high-risk, but was very experienced and had a very positive attitude toward delivering twins naturally.

I wanted to deliver vaginally and avoid a c-section unless needed. My doctor was very supportive of that, so I felt confident that if he were to say that I did need a c-section, I would have really trusted that I did need one and he wasn't trying to push me to get one for some other reason.

When I was researching doctors I spoke with several moms of twins in the area about who their doctor was and their experience. All of his patients had great things to say and agreed that he'd supported them in delivering naturally, so it wasn't just this shpiel. He walked the walk. I ended up delivering vaginally with no medication. It was great.

I had to go on bed rest at 26 weeks and at that point I decided to pick a high-risk pediatrician just in case things didn't go so well or the babies came really early. I found a great pediatrician with a lot of experience who focused only on high-risk infants and kids. His practice wasn't the cushy, fancy pediatric practice that I'm accustomed to now because he saw a lot of low-income kids and turned no one away. But the level of care that we got there has never been surpassed. I felt a lot more secure during my many weeks of bedrest knowing that if my kids came early that I would have a great pediatrician who specializes in high risk kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more