Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Top loader or front loader washer?

mazelandbracha

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:49 pm
My washing machine is broken. The repair guy tells me that it's better to just replace it (It's 8 years old and it's considered close to the end of it's healthy life. 8 years!!!!) So this one is a front loader, and it took me a while to get used to, but it's been ok. Are the new top loaders any good? Does anyone have a model they love that they can recommend?

crust

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:08 am
I still miss the sparkling laundry I had with my simple top loader.
With a Front loader there's a choice of bigger capacity, it takes in 2.5 times the amount of laundry than my top loader did, but it is not necassarily doing a better job.

L K

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:37 am
I did some research online, and there are some excellent threads on imamother explaining how new top-loaders usually don't do a good job like the old ones used to.

Consensus was one exception may be speedqueen, and reliability of even that one possibly has been compromised by making it more computerized than It used to be.
You may want to compare capacity of apeedqueen to that of other machine if it matters to you.

Some recommended (and I got for myself) front loading whirlpool. Not duet, it's called smth else, I'll try to look it up. It has large capacity which cuts down laundry time drastically, you can actually get to the bottom of your laundry pile Smile. Presoak feature, quick wash, rinse cycle, fanfresh are useful features too. And it washes clotting well,bh.

Make sure to get extended warranty in addition to the mfgr 1 year. They're expected to break at some point, like other modern machines though. Difference from other brands may be availability of service and parts when you need them. Some companies are known for bad to nonexistent customer service and/or extended wait time for parts from overseas.

Good luck finding the right one!
Btw, if you are buying a new one, call town appliance in Lakewood for a quote. They usually have excellent prices.(in not affiliated with them)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:12 am
I had a top loader previously and was really worried about getting a front loader a couple of years back. I especially liked soaking and agitating the loads in my top loader.
But I've been enjoying our front loader tremendously over the past 5 years or so. We have an LG and the stains come out more easily, even without the machine pre-soak. For towels I have a sanitize cycle. The quick wash settings wash the clothes beautifully in such a short time. Many more cycles too. The capacity is much bigger which is amazing. BH.

mazelandbracha

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:39 pm
Thanks, both of you! I'm definitely leaning toward front loader. I read the other posts on here, but some reviews on line say that the newest top loaders are better. I will look into LG, whirlpool, and speed queen.
Anyone else??? Thanks!!!

subee

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:48 pm
I love my whirlpool duet, especially the pre soak feature. Gets clothes cleaner than my old top loader did. I use much less oxi clean now because more stains come out even without it.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:51 pm
The old fasioned top loader with an agitator does the best job. In my opinion, front loaders don't wash.... the new top loaders don't have an agitator so it doesn't do such a good job. It pays to shop around for the old fashioned on. The Speed Queen is a top choice, maytag is not so bad either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry