Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fire safety issue, want to create a campaign
1  2  Next

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 11:57 am
It occurred to me, if the law requires smoke detectors in every home, to alert the inhabitants in case of fire, it would make sense to equip each bedroom (where kids/adults are sleeping) with a safety ladder, so that ch''v in the event of fire they can make the easiest escape. Often, running for the front entrance means walking through flames.

I would like to start a campaign to raise awareness about this, and those who can afford to would be advised to purchase an escape ladder for each room, and those who cannot afford to purchase would receive the ladder(s) without charge.

I'm just so pained by the amount of losses due to people having to pass the fire in order to escape. Many don't make it, or end up with severe burns.

Your thoughts?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:04 pm
I have long been a proponent of second story safety ladders and regular fire drills with the family. I find it sad that where I live second story rentals are required to have safety ladders but owner occupied property isn't.

Good for you, this is a worthy campaign.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:11 pm
Thought - who will be paying for the ladders if the family can't afford them?

wanna

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:40 pm
Sometimes, when a campaign gains momentum, a donor comes forward.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:46 pm
You go, girl!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:53 pm
I think this is an amazing idea. It makes no sense to me why ladders aren't mandatory. One of my biggest nightmares is trying to save all three of my children at once. I panic when I think about it. How I might be forced to throw the big ones out the window for a chance of survival and hold my baby while I jump. Now I'm having heart palpitations.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:25 pm
A campaign was just launched in Lakewood to create awareness and help people afford the necessary safety measures for different areas of safety, this sounds like it would fit right in.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:28 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I think this is an amazing idea. It makes no sense to me why ladders aren't mandatory. One of my biggest nightmares is trying to save all three of my children at once. I panic when I think about it. How I might be forced to throw the big ones out the window for a chance of survival and hold my baby while I jump. Now I'm having heart palpitations.

I've thought about this dilemma. Don't yet have an idea as to a type of escape ladder that would allow for safe removal of a mother with more than one little one who is unable to use a ladder.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
A campaign was just launched in Lakewood to create awareness and help people afford the necessary safety measures for different areas of safety, this sounds like it would fit right in.

I'm glad to hear there's awareness raising. Awareness is a good start. Do you have connections to the one spear-heading that campaign? An email address I can write to?

I invite all who have connections to get this topic on the agenda. I don't have to play a role in this. I don't have connections. I'm just a mother who had a fire scare in the past year and b''h we all got out alive and well, though I have a sense that proper escape ladders would be a substantial next step in communities' efforts to prevent tragedy and preserve lives.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Thought - who will be paying for the ladders if the family can't afford them?

Donors who want to have direct impact with their financial resources :-)

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
I'm glad to hear there's awareness raising. Awareness is a good start. Do you have connections to the one spear-heading that campaign? An email address I can write to?

I invite all who have connections to get this topic on the agenda. I don't have to play a role in this. I don't have connections. I'm just a mother who had a fire scare in the past year and b''h we all got out alive and well, though I have a sense that proper escape ladders would be a substantial next step in communities' efforts to prevent tragedy and preserve lives.

features@thevoiceoflakewood.com

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:44 pm
These ladders are supposed to be foldable. If anyone knows where to get them please let us know

LuckyMum

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:56 pm
What really scares me are the required safety gates. True they keep my children safe from falling out of the window chas vishalom, but how can we exit through a window with saftey gates on it??

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
These ladders are supposed to be foldable. If anyone knows where to get them please let us know

Amazon
Costco

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:09 pm
LuckyMum wrote:
What really scares me are the required safety gates. True they keep my children safe from falling out of the window chas vishalom, but how can we exit through a window with saftey gates on it??

Yikes, yikes, yikes. That reminds me, we were in the US for a visit and stayed in an apartment that was in the middle of a building. There was only one (!) window and it was covered with a safety gate with no key anywhere in site. We couldn't really open the window either. I was completely paranoid and kept having nightmares all the time.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:11 pm
LuckyMum wrote:

We always leave one window without a safety gate and we screw it shut. If G-d forbid there was a fire, we can smash the window and get out.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:11 pm
LuckyMum wrote:

Those can be replaced with accessible gates. They cost a pretty penny, though. There are those who are so thinly stretched, they truly cannot afford those. This can be another item to add to the campaign agenda. Perhaps some donors would be happy to subsidize the cost of these for those who are otherwise unable to purchase.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 2:13 pm
A website can be set up where those in need can purchase these items at an affordable price, such as $5 a ladder. If even $5 is too much for someone, he/she can make a special request.

amother
Navy

Or someone can stock these at home/shop, and have people come pick up.
Perhaps a JCC type of org.

Kumphort

Before starting a campaign do more research to see if these are really life saving devices. When I was considering purchasing one after reading review etc I decided against if.

Some issues people raised
The ladders are one time use only so you can't even practice with them

I think there was concerns about people having to look for the ladders of waste too much time setting them up etc it seemed like the best idea was to teach your kids to go to a window and lean out and call for help etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics