Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Day camp "bunk"?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:03 pm
I was talking to someone not familiar with frum daycamps and I was telling them about how my kids were in such-and-such "bunk" and she said "bunks--even though its not sleep-away camp?" I thought maybe its like "knapsack" and "pre-1a"

Then I was talking to a friend of mine who I dont' think went to a lot of daycamps when she was younger, but she made the same comment.

What are the groups called in daycamp if not "bunks"--I went to day-camp and I thought they were called bunks. Am I missing something here?

emzod42

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:09 pm
I never really thought about this before, but I went to non-jewish daycamp when I was a kid and I think they were just called groups. Each group had a name based on the age level, and then a number based on how many groups there were at that age/gender. We called the cabins where we left our stuff "bunks."

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:14 pm
They are called GROUPS. Calling groups "bunks" at a day camp is frumspeak.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:19 pm
Maybe they want to give the day camps a sleep away camp feel. More exciting that way, or at least for the counselors.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:40 pm
I went to a non-Jewish *sleepaway* camp and never heard the term "bunks." They just said "tent or cabin."

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:48 pm
They were "bunks" at Ramah (Conservative) day camp, too. Maybe it's a generically Jewish thing.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:58 am
My kids are all in day camp and their groups are also referred to as bunks. It seemed really weird to me the first year but now I'm used to it. I can't even remember if back when I went to day camp the groups were called bunks or just groups. I started sleep-away camp pretty young - I just don't remember day camp well anymore.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 2:15 am
Bunks (in English, anyway) are narrow beds built into a shelf-like structure. Like you would find in a sleep-away camp or army barracks.

I never heard of "bunk" referring to a group of people. That's just pure bunk. Smile

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 2:20 am
amother wrote:
I was talking to someone not familiar with frum daycamps and I was telling them about how my kids were in such-and-such "bunk" and she said "bunks--even though its not sleep-away camp?" I thought maybe its like "knapsack" and "pre-1a"

Okay, I'll bite:

Here's what a knapsack is, as far as I know:

What am I missing?

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 5:49 am
DrMom wrote:
Okay, I'll bite:

Here's what a knapsack is, as far as I know:

What am I missing?

Actually, they call that a briefcase in frumspeak.

Briefcases are only those things that lawyers carry that hold, you know, briefs except in the frum world.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:26 am
A "bunk" means a bed. Maybe she thought that was what you were referring to. Beds would not be necessary in day camp.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:42 am
Squishy wrote:
Actually, they call that a briefcase in frumspeak.

Briefcases are only those things that lawyers carry that hold, you know, briefs except in the frum world.

Fascinating.

I guess this transmogrification of words is the same mechanism responsible for calling a one-on-one parent-teacher conference a "PTA" (which, in the rest of the world, stands for Parent Teacher Association).

I would be interested to know if any linguists have ever studied these phenomena as it applies to "Frum English."

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:49 am
DrMom wrote:
Fascinating.

I guess this transmogrification of words is the same mechanism responsible for calling a one-on-one parent-teacher conference a "PTA" (which, in the rest of the world, stands for Parent Teacher Association).

I would be interested to know if any linguists have ever studied these phenomena as it applies to "Frum English."

Chicken breasts are called chicken cutlets.
Chicken cutlets are called schnitzel.
Capons are dark meat chicken cut off the bone.

Bras are called underwear.

Borrow me means lend me.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:07 am
Squishy wrote:

Borrow me means lend me.

Your right except - capons are capons
And the only ppl saying borrow me are translating directly from yiddish.

Also bra = undergarments not underwear

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:10 am
Squishy wrote:

Borrow me means lend me.

Do you mean to say all frum people use this slang?

etky

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:16 am
amother wrote:

Then I was talking to a friend of mine who I dont' think went to a lot of daycamps when she was younger, but she made the same comment.

What are the groups called in daycamp if not "bunks"--I went to day-camp and I thought they were called bunks. Am I missing something here?

I attended nursery school and kindergarten at Yeshiva Ohel Moshe in Brooklyn.
I distinctly remember being told that I was in pre-1a - not kindergarten- as if it was a step above or something. I thought this was something particular to this school-had no idea that it existed elsewhere too (my own kids went to gan chova Smile ). Never heard the term again afterwards...
Regarding briefcase: growing up in the seventies, we had stiff school bags with a handle and front closure that somewhat resembled what people nowadays associate with lawyers of business people. Soft knapsacks came into fashion a bit later.

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
Your right except - capons are capons
And the only ppl saying borrow me are translating directly from yiddish.

Also bra = undergarments not underwear

Capons are castrated c○cks. Didn't know if I could get the real word passed the censor.

The first time I heard underwear referring to bras is when my friend was telling me how difficult a time she had buying underwear to fit her. Needless to say, I was confused as she has a lovely figure.

That term is used for bras. No one I know says undergarments; although, you are technically correct.

etky

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:23 am
Squishy wrote:
Capons are castrated c○cks. Didn't know if I could get the real word passed the censor.

The first time I heard underwear referring to bras is when my friend was telling me how difficult a time she had buying underwear to fit her. Needless to say, I was confused as she has a lovely figure.

That term is used for bras. No one I know says undergarments; although, you are technically correct.

Way back when, when I was growing up, capons were, for our purposes, larger chickens.
Certainly not dark meat fillets as they now seem to indicate.
Maybe frum people say underwear instead of bra 'cause it's slightly euphemistic - less explicit.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:35 am
Squishy wrote:

In terms of "Frumspeak" I've heard both "knapsack" and "briefcase", my husband used to refer to "undergarments" of mine-but referring to all kinds. He also tends to refer it as a "restroom" as opposed to a bathroom. However, my husband is not a FFB.

I mean I understand that "bunk" comes from "sleep-away camp" but one can argue that "camp" in general refers to "camping outside"I.e. sleeping in a tent --which is NOT what happens in day camp either . thus we're already borrowing the term. In school we refer to the "groups" as "grades" and "classes" so in camp I don't think it's "weird" to refer to the groups as "bunks" Especially in many camps--depending on the crowd and the size the "groups" tend can be mixed ages.

FWIW, this is from Wikipedia on "Camp" in general, it does not differentiate between over-night and day-camp (evidenced in the U.S. paragraph further on in the article not quoted here):

"In most camps, the young adult or teenage supervisors are called counselors or "cabin leaders". In many camps, counselors are assigned to small groups of campers, called "bunks", "huts", "cabins", or "units", who participate in activities as a group, such as campfires, hiking, canoeing, swimming, nature lore, arts and crafts. Counselors often share living accommodations with their group."

Camp in general does appear to be more of an American phenomenon as the U.S. seems to have a longer summer break. Day Camp seems to be more of a "religious" phenomenon as it seems secular kids tend to go to "sports camp" or "Drama camp" or "Science camp" or "academic camp" or even "scout camps" as opposed to a general interest "Day camp" which tend to be run by religious organizations--both Jewish and Christian.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
In terms of "Frumspeak" I've heard both "knapsack" and "briefcase", my husband used to refer to "undergarments" of mine-but referring to all kinds. He also tends to refer it as a "restroom" as opposed to a bathroom. However, my husband is not a FFB.

I mean I understand that "bunk" comes from "sleep-away camp" but one can argue that "camp" in general refers to "camping outside"I.e. sleeping in a tent --which is NOT what happens in day camp either . thus we're already borrowing the term. In school we refer to the "groups" as "grades" and "classes" so in camp I don't think it's "weird" to refer to the groups as "bunks" Especially in many camps--depending on the crowd and the size the "groups" tend can be mixed ages.

FWIW, this is from Wikipedia on "Camp" in general, it does not differentiate between over-night and day-camp (evidenced in the U.S. paragraph further on in the article not quoted here):

"In most camps, the young adult or teenage supervisors are called counselors or "cabin leaders". In many camps, counselors are assigned to small groups of campers, called "bunks", "huts", "cabins", or "units", who participate in activities as a group, such as campfires, hiking, canoeing, swimming, nature lore, arts and crafts. Counselors often share living accommodations with their group."

Camp in general does appear to be more of an American phenomenon as the U.S. seems to have a longer summer break. Day Camp seems to be more of a "religious" phenomenon as it seems secular kids tend to go to "sports camp" or "Drama camp" or "Science camp" or "academic camp" or even "scout camps" as opposed to a general interest "Day camp" which tend to be run by religious organizations--both Jewish and Christian.

"Day camp" has a separate wiki entry
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics